Boot 722 with no satellite signal

ts7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
IL
We had some heavy storms come through and lost satellite signal. We also had a power glitch that caused my 722 to reboot. The unit would not reboot no matter what I did until the storm started to clear and it was able to pick up a sat signal again.

During the rain fade, I would have liked to watch some stuff on DVR, but the receiver would not do anything. Is there a trick to getting a 722 to boot so I can watch DVR even if there is no sat signal available?

Yes, that works if the unit is still running. The problem is that when the 722 does a reboot (at least my 722), it won't even display until there is signal available. It starts up, the fan runs, the green light comes on (at least briefly) and it sits. I have seen this behavior more than once during storms and once the storm passes, the satellite acquisition screen comes up and a couple minutes later all is well again.

I was hoping there was a way that the 722 could be started and give me the menu so I *could* watch something on DVR. I wonder if my unit might be bad, though, because I don't know how I could ever re-aim my dish if it were to be damaged or knocked out of alignment.

I have completely disconnected my satellite feeds, restarted, and it will work (using button presses described by garys).

I had this happen Saturday night on my 722k. I had one tuner looking at an ota channel and the other tuner on a sat channel. As soon as I could get a break in the rain I tuned to another ota channel and the reboots stopped. The key is tune both tuners to ota and the receiver stays on and you can watch something recorded.

The problem isn't the signal....it is the reboot. Probably a temporary grounding issue brought on by the storm. Pull the power cord on the rcvr, disconnected the coaxial to the dish. Then plug the power cord back in for the rcvr. This should allow it to at least load to get to recordings. Later when the rains stops, reconnect the coaxial cord and you should be okay.

The only thing I had not tried was disconnecting the coax to the dish. I will give it a shot the next time it happens. In the mean time I'll recheck the grounds. Thanks!

I don't mean to High-Jack this thread but can the button presses garys mentioned above work on other DVRs specifically a 508?

We upgraded to a a 722 last Saturday but have lots of recordings on the 508 I would like to access.

Just as a follow up --- It works just fine. No line connected from the dish connected to the 508 (just power and video/audio out) and I am able to access all of the previously recorded programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)