VIP722 dead or dying? Please help. Keeps rebooting

RASHID007

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Border
Hi guys,

On Friday my VIP722 shut down, kept rebooting endlessly. I did some reading on here and decided to unplug it and leave it. In the morning (7 hours later) I plugged it back in and it booted up normal. It ran on saturday until about 5pm when it shut down and started the reboot cycle again, over and over. Sometimes finishing and getting started and staying on for 3 minutes, most of the time not making it on and rebooting again. Just the green TV1 light is on during the reboots.

I unplugged it saturday night and this sunday morning it's working again. Boots, runs for 10 minutes (I can watch TV) then it reboots.

It's plugged directly into the wall. Average temp has always been 111 for me, I have fans mounted to the side pulling air out. Average temp now is 105. Is this a heat issue?

Is this thing dying or dead?

Can it be fixed?

I took pictures once it came back on so I could show you guys for help trouble shooting. This thing cost nearly $400 US and I'm hoping it's not a complete write off. Thanks, guys.

Here are the pictures of my diagnostic screen when it came back up for a few minutes.
[ame="http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww250/RASHID007CA/VIP722/"]VIP722 pictures by RASHID007CA - Photobucket[/ame]

~Rashid

I've seen this before....it's dead. Dish will replace it for free if you have dhpp or $49 if not.

I've seen this before....it's dead. Dish will replace it for free if you have dhpp or $49 if not.

I bought it new off eBay I'm not leasing it from Dish. It is registered with them as my 3rd receiver though. It's 8 months old. Will they still replace it for $49 even though I own and not lease?

I bought it new off eBay I'm not leasing it from Dish. It is registered with them as my 3rd receiver though. It's 8 months old. Will they still replace it for $49 even though I own and not lease?
Yes.

That's excellent! I assumed you had to buy directly for them and because mine was off eBay I was out of luck. Is it because it's less than one year old it's under warranty regardless of where you buy?

Last edited:
Get DHPP for $5.99 per month, they will replace it for free then drop it. That saves you the $49.

Excellent, thanks guys. I am relatively new to Dish and didn't know I could even get DHPP on a receiver I did not buy directly from them (i.e. off ebay).

Is there a certain amount of time I have to wait before making a claim with DHPP, like a initial waiting period of some kind?

Excellent, thanks guys. I am relatively new to Dish and didn't know I could even get DHPP on a receiver I did not buy directly from them (i.e. off ebay).

Is there a certain amount of time I have to wait before making a claim with DHPP, like a initial waiting period of some kind?
I usually call the day after I added DHPP, though some do it almost immediately. I play on the safe side. Go online and add it today, then call tomorrow morning.

I've had 3 replacement 722k's this past week. That's right...THREE. I am so frustrated; they checked and replaced everything possible including the dish, and again I'm having the same problem. We have an Onkyo HT-R550 AV Receiver, which the remote has been programmed to control (power and volume).
Anyway, when we turn off the T.V. and Onkyo receiver, the Dish receiver will turn off within about 15 minutes, and then when we turn the TV and Onkyo back on, we have to wait for the Dish receiver to acquire satellite every time. The other night, I left the Onkyo on all night, and when we turned the TV on we didn't have to go through all that, but that is the only time. Also, after the Dish receiver goes off, it keeps rebooting, with only the green light coming on, about every 5-10 minutes.
We don't use an antenna for locals, fyi. Any suggestions other than getting ANOTHER replacement receiver? :confused:
Each of the three receivers has done the exact same thing. The first one replaced a 622. Also, we have tried plugging it into a different outlet, different wall, doesn't help.

I've had 3 replacement 722k's this past week. That's right...THREE. I am so frustrated; they checked and replaced everything possible including the dish, and again I'm having the same problem. We have an Onkyo HT-R550 AV Receiver, which the remote has been programmed to control (power and volume).
Anyway, when we turn off the T.V. and Onkyo receiver, the Dish receiver will turn off within about 15 minutes, and then when we turn the TV and Onkyo back on, we have to wait for the Dish receiver to acquire satellite every time. The other night, I left the Onkyo on all night, and when we turned the TV on we didn't have to go through all that, but that is the only time. Also, after the Dish receiver goes off, it keeps rebooting, with only the green light coming on, about every 5-10 minutes.
We don't use an antenna for locals, fyi. Any suggestions other than getting ANOTHER replacement receiver? :confused:
Each of the three receivers has done the exact same thing. The first one replaced a 622. Also, we have tried plugging it into a different outlet, different wall, doesn't help.
How are you connected from receiver to tv?

I believe if you own the reciever and do not have the dish home protection plan you have to purchase the reciever. I would suggest if you dont have it. It is 5.99 a month it will save you from having to buy a new reciever. Just call cust. service and they will wither send you a new one or send out a tech. I would suggest having them send out a tech because there could be something in the line causing the reciever to go bad. Especially if you havn't had the reciever to long.

Yah have your dish peaked in properly. If it goes to acquire signal its losing signal. So if the replaced every thing including the lines and the dish. It sounds like your dish is not level and plummed or peaked in properly. Maybe your line of site isn't all that good either.

connected to the TV via HDMI cable from Dish receiver to Onkyo receiver, then to TV
your not going to lik,e what I have to tell you but here goes= I have been on several 722k service calls with the same issues and the only way of fixing it (temporarily until they roll out new software) is to connect it via component cables:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)