Bought a 622 and Dish will not activate without a Dish1000

ptmccart

Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Strasburg, CO
I purchased a 622 from dishstore.net last week and received it today. I configured the new machine and when it asked me to call Dish, I did.

I talked to someone in tech support and he claimed that he could not activate the machine for my current setup, a Dish500.

He said I have to purchase the Dish1000 before I can have the machine setup.

The setup is going to cost me $59.98.:mad:

Is this right? Do I have to upgrade to the Dish1000 in order to activate a machine I purchased?:confused:

If you're trying to activate it with a new dish HD pack, yes you need a new dish. That's the reason he wouldn't activate because they don't want to have you complaining later that you're being charged for channels you can't receive

They would expect you to have either a D1000 or a separate dish pointing at 61.5 or 129. Otherwise you would not be able to get several of the HD channels.

I would think that they should allow you to activate off of a D500, after taking the time to point out that you would not get all of the channels. But perhaps they don't want to deal with people calling back to complain that they aren't getting all of their channels.

But I am not upgrading my HD pak.

At this time, I only want to be able to use the DVR functions of the 622 and Dish will not let me activate the machine that I purchased until I have a Dish1000 installed.

Well then try again and tell them you want to activate the 622 with the current programming you have and understand that you'll be charged the $6 HD Enabling fee for not having a DishHD Pak

I already did.

They claimed the computer system would not let them activate the machine on a Dish500.

The tech guy said he talked with his supervisor who said that the 622 can only be activated for Dish1000 setups.

Ok well then the next step is to tell them you have bought and installed a dish 1000 ;)

Only problem is that if he ever needs it, they will have him down as already having one.

Alternatively, you could claim to have put up a D300 pointing at 61.5.

Or you could argue that since they do activate 622s for people using a D500 with a 61.5 dish, that a D1000 is not always required.

$60 isn't a bad deal to get a D1000 installed, if it could do something for you.

since i work for dish sofat i have not found away around not hav a d1000 or two d500's,. but if you tell them that its installed they have no way to check , but later on if you try to add any hd pak they will just sent the hit from space assuming that you have the dish that will be listed on your account.. so to avoid all the problem just pay the money, and if not possible just tell them u have it already then go out at a later time and purchasei t your self and mayb do a self install of just the 129 on a d500 -or pay someone to install a d1000

I am in Dallas and have two 500's- one pointing to 110 and 119 and the other to 61.5. Are you saying, I will be able to get a 622 and get the new HD programs and my local HD (Dallas not online yet) from my two existing disk?

How can I do that if some channels are on 129?

Hey, I have a 622 and I told them to leave my programming the way it was and she said, " I don't think it will let me do it" and it popped on and started working, I didn't change my programming, so I can still take advantage if the upgrade deal with my remaining 921. believe it or not I am running it on my sw-64 without the splitter. I didn't put up my 1000 cause my 921 needs two inputs and the 1000 only has two outputs.. My expreience here

If you have any local channels that say "Call Dish network for more information about receiving this channel" or something similar you have what are referred to by Dish as "Must Carry" channels. You will be able to get a 2nd dish (or maybe dish 1000) for free. In some areas (Seattle were I live being 1) A wing dish is needed to get all local stations and Dish has to supply it at no charge. They are currently moving wing dish MC channels to 129 (or possibly 110,119) so no one will need more than 1 dish to get all locals (FCC mandate).

You may get lucky and get a 61.5 wing dish or a Dish1000. If you end up with a 148 dish you would need to re-aim it yourself to 129 (not hard as long as you don't have L.O.S. issues).

Of course if you don't have any Must Carry channels your out of luck.

Brad

yeah I have the 148 dish that does nothing in dallas, but my d500 is on the way of me repointing, so I am going to 86 them all when I get 622#2

If you have locals on 129, then you would want either a D1000 or two dishes with one being a D500 and the other pointing at 129. Pointing at 61.5 will not pick up channels exclusive to 129. All national HD channels on 129 are mirrored at 61.5.

Otherwise you would be fine with either a D1000 (as long as you live within a 129 coverage area) or a D500 with a dish pointing at 61.5.

And I believe brad1138 is correct, if you have any locals on 129, then you should be able to get a free D1000 install.

I got my 622 from dishdepot, I have a 921 with the old HD pack.
When I called in, they ask if I had a 1000 dish, I said no and wanted to stay with my old HD pack. And they turned it on no problem

ptmccart - Where are you located? There are several places in the country where the D1000 won't even work to get all your available content., notably in the NE and in the Florida penninsula. In those areas, as others have suggested, you would definitely want the 61.5 dish and a "recycled" D300 (I don't think you can still buy one) is certainly adequate for that if you have the correct LNB for it, or else the second D500 would also work at slightly higher cost. Even if you can use the D1000 in your area, there are plenty of threads here that indicate you may still want a separate (second) antenna for 61.5 for more reliable reception of the HD pak channels. The only downside is if you eventually want your HD LiLs at some point in the future they may not be on the 61.5 sat and you'll need to reposition it, but that shouldn't be a problem. Look into the options for your specific location for current and possible future programming before you call E* back again. I think if you can convince them you have explored the options they will be more inclined to accept your request. Also, as Tom Bombadil said - $60 for the D1000 may turn out to be money well spent - just make sure you keep your D500 handy for future use...!

I live outside of Denver and bought the 622 with the goal of getting the ability to have the HD DVR now.

In three months when my annual subscription was through I was going to do the upgrade with the DishInUp program to obtain a leased 622 and then have the Dish1000 installed via the $299.

Unfortunately with the fact that they would not activate my purchased 622 without a $59.98 install I did not want now, I bit the bullet and scheduled the $299 install in two weeks.

I just think it is stupid that a simple task is usually the hardest thing to do with Dish these days.:mad:

I could have sworn that I posted in this thread about a day ago. Did it get deleted?

All you have to do is just tell them that you have a Dish1000 so that the computer will allow it to be activated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)