Bought a DTVPal yesterday

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I realize this is sort of off topic for here but...

While I was in Sears yesterday I spotted a display of DTVPals and I wanted a converter for the bedroom TV that's 18 years old. I have to say what a sweet box it is !!! It has a neat EPG that I can use for my local RTN that works for several hours ahead.

The menus have Dish Network banners on them as well does the remote. The strange thing I learned is that Sears can't use a credit card in conjunction with the $40 govt. coupon transaction. They require cash or gift card with it. :confused:

I give Echostar a big :up for the DTVPal. I bet they sell millions of them.

There is a review in our Dish Forum, and more banter about it in our HD OTA forum.
And nearly four thousand posts on AVSforum... :rolleyes:

Not everybody thinks it's so great.
But I'm glad it's working for you.
I'll be getting one just as soon as they fix several bugs.

Right now, I have a Channel Master CM-7000.
It's nice to have another high quality digital picture to add to the collection. :cool:
In LA, I have maybe 20+ stations, with 50+ subchannels. :eek:

Was watching a gorgeous copy of Hogan's Heroes the other day.
Can't remember if it was OTA digital, Dish Network, or FTA, though...
Too many channels, too many choices, just one life to live. - :D

I like my DTVPal; I purchased mine from Sears last week. So far, the timers have worked fine, although some stations are off on time. I think that's an issue from the TV station, not the DTVPal. Like others, I hope that some of the documented bugs get worked out in future releases, for I need another box. j c

P.S. I'm soooo jealous of the OP's receipt of RTN. I wish Memphis had an affiliate. I already sent an email to a station GM, hoping that they'll consider carrying it.

In just under a month of usage my DTV pal has locked up 3 times. Green light stays on but won't respond to the remote. I have to pull power plug to reboot. So far that is the biggest problem. But that is typical of DISH how are they going to upgrade software on these boxes? It isn't like satellite that you can shut them off at night and get a software download from the satellite.

apparently there is a way to do it via the OTA signal from one of the major networks. they are working out the actual details and should be up and running by the magic day.

and don't forget. many more people are having no trouble with their Pals, than those that are. they are just quieter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)