Bought a leased receiver. What to do?

herzzreh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Hi,

I bought what turned out to be a leased receiver. The seller is refusing to refund, Dish won't activate (even though I said I'd be willing to pay the "lease" fee). They say this particular receiver (522) is "not availabel as a retail activation".

Is there anything that I could do?

***UPDATE***
I called again, just for the heck of it. Yup... they activated it. No mention of any lease BS.
I doubt it, but maybe it had something to do with me emailing ceo@d*.com late last night.

Not really, It's your responsibility to verify a revceiver is clear before you purchase it, otherwise, yau have bought yourself a doorstop. Once a receiver is activated as a DHA it can not be recativacted by a retail customer.

JPointerWI said:
Not really, It's your responsibility to verify a revceiver is clear before you purchase it, otherwise, yau have bought yourself a doorstop. Once a receiver is activated as a DHA it can not be recativacted by a retail customer.

Even if I agree to pay the lease fee? The receiver was brand new, btw, sealed.

I'd take the guy to court. If you let him get away with what he did to you, he may ... PROBABLY... will pull that same stunt on somebody else. Stick him with the court costs too, while you are at it! Dishnetwork? Your witnesses! Save the packaging.. the writing.. the ebay add, your air fare, your lodging, the works. Get a good lawyer.

Stick it to this GUY!

Where did you buy it from? Ebay should be able to help you if that's where you got it...
Unless you just didn't read the auction correctly...

If push comes to shove, take out the hard drive, format it, and use it in your computer, recycle the unit (if possible)...

eBay will not do S**t. The promise everything and then provide NOTHING! It is almost impossible to recover money thru eBay. They are no help.

The seller took your money in exchange for something he had no right to sell. Depending on where you bought it and how you paid for it, you may be able to get a relevant third party to help you recover your money. Otherwise, your only recourses are the lawyers and the law enforcement community.

It sounds to me that the CSR's are doing the same thing they did before the 522 was sold to the current customer. The 522 is not only a leased receiver anymore, you can buy them from a retailer. I would do what nuts4scuba just said and email ceo@dishnetwork.com and give them the R# and S# and see what they say. If they say it was given out as a leased receiver then you will be SOL.

So long as the receiver was NOT activated as a leased unit, then they can be activated upon purchasing. Also, if needed, you could always contact the police department in the seller's hometown and explain to them what has happened. However, always BUYER BEWARE.

E Bay purchases are best paid with paypal. They refund $$ when things go bad.

actually they electronically debit it out of the sellers bank account...

Ever hear of possession of stolen property (an extreme view, don't take me serious)

Do whatever you can to go after the seller. He sold you leased property. Even if it hasn't been activated, the receiver was leased to someone else. A person can't sell something that is leased to them. You have a receiver that is still leased to someone else, the fact that you paid money for it doesn't matter to E*.

chevyN8 said:
Do whatever you can to go after the seller. He sold you leased property. Even if it hasn't been activated, the receiver was leased to someone else. A person can't sell something that is leased to them. You have a receiver that is still leased to someone else, the fact that you paid money for it doesn't matter to E*.

They did activate it without any questions, so I don't know what's the deelio.

Its another case of CSR's that dont know jack and still think ALL 522's are leases when they aren't.
I'm glad they activated it for you :)
Did you email ceo@dishnetwork.com to get it activated or did you play the fun game of CSR roulette??

thiggin2 said:
Its another case of CSR's that dont know jack and still think ALL 522's are leases when they aren't.
I'm glad they activated it for you :)
Did you email ceo@dishnetwork.com to get it activated or did you play the fun game of CSR roulette??

Hi Tim,

I emailed ceo@dish....com yesterday at about 1am my time (AK), called around 7am my time to activate and everything went fine. One rep said hell no, it's leased, blah blah... the other one said that their computers are "frozen, call back tomorrow" and the third one activated it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts