Bought two DISH boxes used, now DISH says they are on a leased account...

Buzz2196

Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
FL
The day I bought this 722k I called DISH since I know what I'm doing (so I thought) and asked if this box was leased or not and if it had a balance. The answer I got was it's fine to purchase and had no balance so I bought it for a fairly low price at a thrift store. I later went back and got the matching 222k. Both in just installed condition, story was fella died and were in the storage unit purchased.

So being I am out of my house now during reconstruction I sat on them a bit then about a month later decided to put it on a work account and low and behold, both are leased and owed back to DISH. I argued a bit but it is what it is. DISH did send me return boxes as I thought about sending them back - and I did ask for a credit on my current account (I already have a 622 and 722) but they said no deal. Now I'm wondering why should I send them back to DISH for nothing? The guy is dead and the store owner was like, to bad for you.

So I read about having a DISH dealer clear the account then can put it into their stock to sell. Claude? Are you out there? PM me and I'll send you the R numbers and see what you can do for me - I can make you a good deal =-)

Thanks,
Buzz2196

So, a store owner sold you two receivers that were not his to sell and he says too bad? Uh uh store owner. You Mr. Store Owner are guilty of fraudulent sales and you'd best give this man his money back.

"asked if this box was leased or not and if it had a balance. The answer I got was it's fine to purchase and had no balance so I bought it for a fairly low price at a thrift store."

Next time you get a receiver and want to check for a balance, do an online chat. That way you have the receivers R00 number listed in the chat, print out the chat transcription. If they tell you it's clear and later that itsn't, you have the proof that they told you it was.
I had a replacement receiver shipped to me once and the CSR never said anything about the $15 shipping charge. When I was billed for it, I demanded that it be removed, After I told them I had a transcript of the chat never stating the shipping charges and I would be glad to fax it to them, they backed off and remove the charge!

The day I bought this 722k I called DISH since I know what I'm doing (so I thought) and asked if this box was leased or not and if it had a balance. The answer I got was it's fine to purchase and had no balance so I bought it for a fairly low price at a thrift store. I later went back and got the matching 222k. Both in just installed condition, story was fella died and were in the storage unit purchased.

So being I am out of my house now during reconstruction I sat on them a bit then about a month later decided to put it on a work account and low and behold, both are leased and owed back to DISH. I argued a bit but it is what it is. DISH did send me return boxes as I thought about sending them back - and I did ask for a credit on my current account (I already have a 622 and 722) but they said no deal. Now I'm wondering why should I send them back to DISH for nothing? The guy is dead and the store owner was like, to bad for you.

So I read about having a DISH dealer clear the account then can put it into their stock to sell. Claude? Are you out there? PM me and I'll send you the R numbers and see what you can do for me - I can make you a good deal =-)

Thanks,
Buzz2196

Will you PM me your phone number/account number, along with the receiver numbers that you bought? I'll see if there's anything that can be done.

I had the same thing happen to me a few times and you know what they tell you even if they said previously that there was zero balance? TOUGH LUCK!!! Sorry that the last CSR gave you bad info, we can do nothing for you. That is what they tell you. Also be aware that in a chat it will not display all the numbers in an R00 or S19 number so you will need to divide the numbers up in some way to be able to copy them in the chat if you think that will work.

$100? Maybe a fraction of that. You can get new terabyte hard drives for that much or less now.

dmmedina is referring to the fact that the exact models of HD's that are specified for use in Dish DVR's are extremely hard to come by, and if you can find one, it has a fairly hefty price tag. You can not just slap in any old drive you want.

dmmedina is referring to the fact that the exact models of HD's that are specified for use in Dish DVR's are extremely hard to come by, and if you can find one, it has a fairly hefty price tag. You can not just slap in any old drive you want.

Still,good luck selling that particular hdd for $100...

Some heads need to roll at DISH Network Customer Service and it needs to be someone upstream of the front line.

If it isn't easy or reliable to check the status, it should be.

It's ironic how two different reps can give two different, and conflicting, bits of information and the "answer" is that their word doesn't mean squat, i.e. they (Dish) can't be held accountable for what their reps tell someone.

I purchased my first 612 receiver on eBay. It turns put that the receiver had a 500.00 balance and is a leased receiver. That was never put in the advert. eBay sided with the seller so I could not send this re ei er back yo the seller to get my monies back.

I purchased my first 612 receiver on eBay. It turns put that the receiver had a 500.00 balance and is a leased receiver. That was never put in the advert. eBay sided with the seller so I could not send this re ei er back yo the seller to get my monies back.

eBay sided with the seller probably because it was advertised "as is", then it is the buyers responsibility to check with Dish if there is any balance and if it was a leased receiver. If that is not the case, I would dispute it with PayPal nor eBay.

I would fire back at Ebay.. that the seller was in fact selling stolen property. Just because it was in said user's hands didn't make it his, and thus offering an item for sale "as is" knowing that he doesn't own it, or that its ownership is in dispute doesn't protect the seller, not in a court of law, not at ebay either, and remind ebay of that fact.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/stolen.html
What are the guidelines?

iconNotAllowed_25x25.gif

Not allowed
Here are some examples of items that are not allowed on eBay:

• Items stolen from private individuals
  • Property taken without authorization from companies or governments
  • A television set with a missing or completely removed serial number
  • A DVD player with some of the digits in its serial number altered
"Property taken without authorization from companies or governments"
Dish *IS* a company the last time I looked, and a leased receiver would require permission. AS IS or not .. the user did not have permission to sell..

funny, when selling pallets of receivers purchased at auction, the "AS-IS" warning and urging people to check the posted IRD numbers before bidding was not enough. anyone that had a balance had a dispute filed. even some where people had D* and purchased by accident had to be refunded! best ones were 301s purchased and buyers upset that they were not HD receivers. fleabay clearly stated is was the responsibility of the seller to check every receiver before listing for sale- impossible when selling that many.

Selling on fleabay is a risk these days as people can file a SNAD dispute for ANY reason and always win it. Not to mention it is impossible to make money with the horrendous fees. PayPal and fleabay protect the buyers. File a PayPal SNAD dispute.

funny, when selling pallets of receivers purchased at auction, the "AS-IS" warning and urging people to check the posted IRD numbers before bidding was not enough. anyone that had a balance had a dispute filed. even some where people had D* and purchased by accident had to be refunded! best ones were 301s purchased and buyers upset that they were not HD receivers. fleabay clearly stated is was the responsibility of the seller to check every receiver before listing for sale- impossible when selling that many.

Selling on fleabay is a risk these days as people can file a SNAD dispute for ANY reason and always win it. Not to mention it is impossible to make money with the horrendous fees. PayPal and fleabay protect the buyers. File a PayPal SNAD dispute.

SNAD?

As a word of advise, I get people all the time coming into my office trying to sell me used equipment. Generally speaking, based on my experence any 722, 622, or 222 coming in off the streets are going to be leased. You just don't see that many people buying receivers at MSRP these days.

On 211's and 311's you got a 50/50 chance they are owned, as those receivers are more popular to own.

You need to go back to the owner of the thrift store and get your money back, explain to him that these are leased receivers and that he is selling you stolen equipment. If he doesn't want to cooperate, I would go and file a police report for selling you stolen property. 1 call from the detective, and im sure you will have your money back ASAP and the thrift store will mail back the equipment to Dish.

As far as returning the equipment to Dish, yes it would be the right thing to do, but thats not your problem to police Dish Network customers to return their equipment. Your concern is getting your money back from the Thrift shop that sold you the equipment.

I'll tell you one thing, when customers try to sell me their leased equipment and I call and find out its leased, I usually hand them a Dish Network pre-paid shipping label, and an empty box to send it back. Most of the time I get the customers to send it back, especially after I explain to them that they are going to be charged for it.

But as far as having Dish assign the lease to another customer, thats impossible to do. I have seen people move out of their house and want to let the person moving in take over their account. The policy is to close the first account, send the equipment back and open the new account and get all new equipment..

Hall said:
S - ?
Not
As
Described

Significantly
Not
As
Described

OP does need to take those back to the store and very nicely demand a refund. Take Claude's advice and you should see some results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts