Box in another location hookup

dvrexpander

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Near a tree
Question:

I've got a shop that I would like to put a receiver in the back room (so I'm the only one viewing it). Am I allowed to activate this with my box I currently have at home which is only about 10city blocks away? I figure I should be able to since I'm the only one viewing it.

I'm sure I can as I don't see any issue with Dish not allowing it.

Question:

I've got a shop that I would like to put a receiver in the back room (so I'm the only one viewing it). Am I allowed to activate this with my box I currently have at home which is only about 10city blocks away? I figure I should be able to since I'm the only one viewing it.

I'm sure I can as I don't see any issue with Dish not allowing it.
If what you want to do is add another receiver to your account you could do it at your home, and then take the box to work and plug it in. From what I read in this forum you would not want to plug in a phone line or a broadband connection as dish would then realize that the box is not where it should be. The only problem i see is an audit....

Good luck

Ross

What you are doing is termed account stacking, if Dish catches you doing this, they will shut off all receivers not in your valid address.

Well what I'd like to do is let dish aware of what I'm doing so they can note it on the account and know about it. I'm not wishing to violate their policy but if I have to I will just go ahead and do it. I'm the only one watching it and the only one with access to it.

If I do it I don't think there is any chance of a audit considering I've only got 2 boxes and to make sure I'll write down all the numbers off the box and keep them nearby the other box at home but I hardly think this will be a issue.

I see no reason to make a whole new account for just viewing for myself (the account holder)

audit changes a number on the receiver screen randomly, theres no way to write it down. some boxes may report in their location over the phone line without your knowledge

If you let Dish know, they will not let you do it. They will want you to set up another account at that address. If that is a business, you would have to sign up for a commercial account. If you plan on doing it, do not let Dish know about it.

Dish doesn't care that only you will be watching. They care that you will have one account with equipment installed at two addresses.

If you connect the receiver to the internet, Dish can tell that you're at a different IP address. My 622 connects to "echo.dishaccess.tv" about once a minute.

If you connect the receiver to a phone line, Dish can tell what phone number your receiver is calling from when it calls home. This is the case even if you disable caller-ID. They use Automatic Number Identification (ANI). ANI is completely unrelated to caller-ID, and it is not possible to disable it. It's a service that is often used with 800 numbers.

Whether or not Dish actually checks these items, is unpredictable. They CAN use them to determine that your receivers are at different locations. As others have mentioned, much badness may ensue.

Personally, if you decide to circumvent the rules set out by Dish to receive their signal, then I hope you get caught...but that's just me.

Why not record your favorite shows somehow and just take the DVDs tapes or hard drives to the secondary location, that perfectly legal

some receivers can report their location other ways like the power line

Just plug it in at home, activate it and then take it with you.

Yes, it is against the TOS, but you are the only one watching it, so who cares. Don't plug it into the network or phone at the second location.

oh good lord :rolleyes:

uh no it can't Bob. I'd like to hear this explanation on how it supposedly can

DISHCOM, My 722 found a neighbors receiver, and the operators manual says have your receiver find all others......

now why would E instruct people to do that?

mine found a neighbors till the power company upgraded the neighborhood, splitting the street into many different transformers.

I know dishcomm isnt reliable but it MIGHT snag a person.

DishCom needs a modem to communicate with something other than another ViP receiver. Just having it plugged into the wall cannot send any info to Dish. It has to be hooked up to the internet or a phone line.

What you are doing is termed account stacking, if Dish catches you doing this, they will shut off all receivers not in your valid address.

I'd like to know how the audit team is going to shut off a receiver without any verification. If you see a call from Dish Network or get a message you can always bring the receiver home and complete their audit and then take it back provided that you weren't foolish enough to answer the phone when they called. I'd just leave it unconnected to internet or phone lines while at work. It might be against the TOS, but I don't see it as much different than the Sling technology that Dish is promoting for viewing your stuff everywhere. It isn't like it will be for another person.

If you let Dish know, they will not let you do it. They will want you to set up another account at that address. If that is a business, you would have to sign up for a commercial account. If you plan on doing it, do not let Dish know about it.

Even if they did say you could do it and made notes, the audit department will quickly correct the situation by shutting them off and have a "its too bad" / "tough luck" attitude.

They do shut them off all the time without verification. Even if they give you an audit and you pass it, they can and will shut down a receiver added to your account if you do it too soon after you had an audit. They do whatever they want to do.

I have had people tell me that nobody contacted them regarding this, that they just got shut off while Dish Network states that they tried to reach the customer several times. Some people may think they are telemarketers or a scammer or do not recognize the phone number. Perhaps there was no voice message left with the customer in some situations.

They need a better solution in my opinion instead of harassing customers.

They do shut them off all the time without verification. Even if they give you an audit and you pass it, they can and will shut down a receiver added to your account if you do it too soon after you had an audit. They do whatever they want to do.

I have had people tell me that nobody contacted them regarding this, that they just got shut off while Dish Network states that they tried to reach the customer several times. Some people may think they are telemarketers or a scammer or do not recognize the phone number. Perhaps there was no voice message left with the customer in some situations.

They need a better solution in my opinion instead of harassing customers.

I'm not sure if it's random shutdown, or just normal, but the receiver that I keep in the camper usually has to be reset at the beginning of each season. It's all automated on the 800 number. 5 minutes & it's back up. At the time I added that receiver and a second bedroom recevier, I asked the CSR if it mattered which one I put in the camper, and she said no. Just pick one, and put it in there.

That reminds me, I guess I should be shutting it down for the winter months. I'll make a note of that for next year. Actually, ability to have one for the camper is another reason why I still keep Dish. They have been very helpful & friendly with RVers. Satellite usually works pretty well at campgrounds. Internet - not so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)