Not open for further replies.

John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/971528.asp?0cv=CA01

WASHINGTON, Sept. 26 — Transportation Security Administration chief James Loy acknowledged Friday there are gaps in airport security, including X-ray machines that cannot detect blades positioned in certain ways.

“I DON’T DISPUTE the fact that you can get a blade of a boxcutter set on edge through the system,” Loy said during a briefing with reporters. “That is a technology issue more than it’s a screener performance issue.”
Government officials believe the 19 Sept. 11 hijackers used boxcutters to commandeer the four jets that crashed that day.
Loy said the agency is focused on researching and developing better technology, but he acknowledged that the TSA cut most of its $75 million research budget for 2003 to try to address a deficit.
A General Accounting Office report released this week said the TSA isn’t keeping close enough track of its airport security screeners’ performance.
The GAO, Congress’ investigative arm, sent undercover investigators to certain airports to test security by trying to sneak weapons past screeners.

I do not think that box cutters are much of a threat any more after 9/11. Passingers/crew may have been passive before and gone along with hijackers. I bet if someone were to try to hijack a plane with box cutters now they would be beaten to a bloody pulp by the passingers if they are lucky enough to live long enough to bleed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)