BREAKING NEWS: FCC Approves Next-Gen TV for OTA Broadcasting

Range does not depend on encoding method or whether it is ATSC 1.0 or ATSC 3.0 or even NTSC.
Someone somewhere along the way claimed that the underlying modulation of ATSC 3.0, ODFM, might be more resistant to multipath or other demons that vex 8VSB. It has also been said that ODFM requires more power to yield equivalent coverage.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Someone somewhere along the way claimed that the underlying modulation of ATSC 3.0, ODFM, might be more resistant to multipath or other demons that vex 8VSB. It has also been said that ODFM requires more power to yield equivalent coverage.

Well, that would suck. Stations are still capped at a maximum of a million watts, I’d assume. So if a person is already on the fringe now, they’ll be screwed with 3.0.

Well, that would suck. Stations are still capped at a maximum of a million watts, I’d assume. So if a person is already on the fringe now, they’ll be screwed with 3.0.
The may have to raise the limit or employ some other extraordinary measures to insure coverage.

It is hard to say at this point what is real and what is speculation or projections and that's been one of my peeves from the beginning: we don't really know how everything is going to work out given how little is known about using the schemes at the frequencies involved.

Those who assert that South Korea is, in any meaningful way a valid model for North America, need not repeat themselves -- it's embarrassing.

I miss the analog days. Not for the picture quality but the fact that I could tune in a lot more channels. Better DX’ing.
On the other hand, I used to get nine channels and now I get dozens.

If you're a "grass is always greener" kind of person, digital was not your friend but it isn't the express purpose of OTA to provide you with DX opportunities.

Oh, I’m fully aware of that and I understand it
I'd be more worried about directional antennas than I would about power. I expect that carefully shaped coverage areas are going to be much more prevalent going forward (especially in topographically uninspired locales such as the Mid-West).

ATSC 3.0 SFN to be Deployed in Dallas

ATSC 3.0 SFN To Be Deployed In Dallas | TVNewsCheck.com

Sinclair, Nexstar, Univision and American Tower partner on developing a next-gen TV single frequency network that will be a test of a developed model for the transition from ATSC 1.0 to 3.0 and the deployment of SFN sites in preparation for future national deployment of 3.0 broadcast services.

The companies say the SFN will allow for the testing, validation and deployment of advanced next-generation broadcast services, offering dramatically improved over-the-air reception, immersive audio, deep-indoor reception, mobile reception, zoned programming/advertising, automotive services and advanced emergency alerting, among others.

The agreement between the broadcasters and American Tower will serve as a test of a developed model for the transition from ATSC 1.0 to ATSC 3.0 and the deployment of SFN sites in preparation for future national deployment of 3.0 broadcast services.

ATSC 3.0 SFN to be Deployed in Dallas

This is one of the promised capabilities of ATSC 3.0 that I'd like to see if it really works as advertised. ATSC 1.0 was supposed to allow for Distributed Transmission Systems, which I believe is basically the same concept as the SFN, but it didn't quite work out due to multipath issues.

This is one of the promised capabilities of ATSC 3.0 that I'd like to see if it really works as advertised. ATSC 1.0 was supposed to allow for Distributed Transmission Systems, which I believe is basically the same concept as the SFN, but it didn't quite work out due to multipath issues.

If I read correctly, SFN's are a bunch of translators or mini-repeaters, correct?

If I read correctly, SFN's are a bunch of translators or mini-repeaters, correct?
Translators, by definition, operate at a different frequency.

It looks like SFN depends on precisely timed versions of the content to be broadcast as opposed to a bucket brigade situation that repeaters imply.

Just after the DTV transition there was a proposal forwarded for "Digital On-Channel Repeaters" but I expect that they wouldn't qualify as SFN as they aren't precisely phased.

This impresses me as another technology that would put the hurt on those with DX setups as you would be able to pick up many "cell's" signals.

Just after the DTV transition there was a proposal forwarded for "Digital On-Channel Repeaters" but I expect that they wouldn't qualify as SFN as they aren't precisely phased.
From what I read in Doug Lung's 2009 proposal, the Digital On-Channel Repeater (DOCR) described was phased. I'm not seeing much conceptual difference, if any, between the DOCR proposal, the Digital Transmission System (DTS) approved by the FCC, and the SFN proposed in ATSC 3.0. All were meant to provide fill-in coverage on the same channel as the primary channel, and all were supposed to be synchronized so there would be virtually no interference to other transmission sites. The only major difference seems to be in the planning and licensing.

This impresses me as another technology that would put the hurt on those with DX setups as you would be able to pick up many "cell's" signals
Unfortunately for those who enjoy DXing, the ability to pick up distant signals is of no concern to the FCC or to the TV stations.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
We call them TLA's in government. ;)
They aren't all three letters though they perhaps represent some of the most insidious. OTA is all over the place and I'm still not sure how it got associated with airborne firmware updates.

Some still habitually associate DTV with DIRECTV.

I wonder what the TLA would be for ATSC 3.0? NGTV, TVNG or DTV3?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts