BREAKING NEWS: FCC Approves Next-Gen TV for OTA Broadcasting

Discussion in 'Over the Air TV By RabbitEars.Info' started by larrykenney, Nov 16, 2017.

1. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

Someone somewhere along the way claimed that the underlying modulation of ATSC 3.0, ODFM, might be more resistant to multipath or other demons that vex 8VSB. It has also been said that ODFM requires more power to yield equivalent coverage.

comfortably_numb likes this.
  2. *** WELCOME TO SATELLITEGUYS! ***
  3. comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb SatelliteGuys Pro

Well, that would suck. Stations are still capped at a maximum of a million watts, I’d assume. So if a person is already on the fringe now, they’ll be screwed with 3.0.

4. harshness

The may have to raise the limit or employ some other extraordinary measures to insure coverage.

It is hard to say at this point what is real and what is speculation or projections and that's been one of my peeves from the beginning: we don't really know how everything is going to work out given how little is known about using the schemes at the frequencies involved.

Those who assert that South Korea is, in any meaningful way a valid model for North America, need not repeat themselves -- it's embarrassing.

5. harshness

On the other hand, I used to get nine channels and now I get dozens.

If you're a "grass is always greener" kind of person, digital was not your friend but it isn't the express purpose of OTA to provide you with DX opportunities.

6. comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb SatelliteGuys Pro

Oh, I’m fully aware of that and I understand it

7. harshness

I'd be more worried about directional antennas than I would about power. I expect that carefully shaped coverage areas are going to be much more prevalent going forward (especially in topographically uninspired locales such as the Mid-West).

Separate names with a comma.

More...