BREAKING NEWS: NBC-HD East/West

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chastulsa

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
NBC HD East and West starts on channels 82 and 83 on DirecTV starting on 9/16 at 5:00 AM.

nbc HD

What is the source of this info? I wanted to read about it. Will this be for all part of HD package?

This means going through the waiver deal

again I guess ! AHHHH! :eek:

Still waiting for my CBS HD waiver to go through.

I wonder if the local NBC ,who broadcasts hd at low power and is 35 miles away and
which I cannot receive with an ota, would grant me a waiver in order to be able
to watch hd....................naw, they're d--- heads!!!!!!

pity it won'd help us poor shlubs who's local NBC's idea of "HD" is SD, upconverted and stretched (no, I'm not kidding... even the HD Network shows).

With D* using 3 HD channels per transponder this is bad bad news IMO. The only good thing I thought would come of this is good 16-17mbps versions of NBC HD shows, instead it will be some poor PQ versions of these shows.

Rick P said:
pity it won'd help us poor shlubs who's local NBC's idea of "HD" is SD, upconverted and stretched (no, I'm not kidding... even the HD Network shows).

DirecTV won't be broadcasting your local NBC. It'll be NY & LA. As long as your local affiliate is owned by NBC you'll get these broadcasts. If it's not you can try for a waiver which will probably be denied, or you can 'move'.

It won't be until the Spaceway satellites go up next year that they'll have any other city's local HD broadcasts.

Again,everyone remember even if you are O & O does not mean you can get this if you are Grade B for another NBC station(I am O & O for CBS-Detroit but Grade B for Toledo,Ohio which said no way.)

ToddHealy said:
DirecTV won't be broadcasting your local NBC. It'll be NY & LA. As long as your local affiliate is owned by NBC you'll get these broadcasts. If it's not you can try for a waiver which will probably be denied, or you can 'move'.

It won't be until the Spaceway satellites go up next year that they'll have any other city's local HD broadcasts.

I WAS describing my local NBC's version of HD. During the olympics, they carried the NBC network feed on the digital channel.. soon as it was over, it switched to the SD 4:3 signal, STRETCHED to 16:9 and UPCONVERTED to HD.

in other words.. a JOKE.

By FCC law you cant get a waiver if you can get the SD feed over the air. They have not changed the law yet for the HD feed.

If your Local NBC broadcasts over the air in SD you cant get the Direct TV HD unless they are owned by NBC, its the law.

***BUT****

Congress is working right now on a Bill that would allow the waivers for the HD feeds.

In my City that would get me FOX and ABC in HD and the local stations do not broadcast in HD (only SD).

In the City next to me that would mean waivers for ABC, Fox, and NBC as NBC is not full power in HD.

Everyone needs to email there congress men asking them to vote yes on the McCain sponsored Shivra (or how ever you spell it) extension bill.

This is interesting response since I can get CBS-SD and yet I asked D* for a waiver just for HD and was given it.

I have been trying the last two days to get through to D* to request the NBC waiver like I did for CBS for HD only but I keep getting a busy signal has everybody been experiencing this?

Oh since I got the feed from Olympics does this mean I don't need to call them about the waiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.