Brett Favre Please retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
vurbano said:
Brady is a much better QB.
Apparently (based on them having a record less than 5 other teams, that's not the case. He is a very good QB, but the team around him is what makes him what he is...remember, its a team sport.

Cases in point -

Bradshaw was only a so-so QB with the Steelers years ago, but was surrounded with some solid talent - he went along for the ride. Overrated I guess too.

Marino & Clayton/Duper (as well as a solid O-Line) were the whole show for most of his years, so that's why he racked up all those points and yards. Overrated too, for sure.

In a team sport, you live by the team and you die by the team - and right now Favre happens to be surrounded by 3rd-5th stringers with limited talent.

You don't get to the HOF with mediocre skills, and Favre's stats (except interceptions) this year are in the upper 10-15% of all QBs. He doesn't seem to have lost much of anything, except a solid team around him.

Sad to see it, but it is what it is.

I think Brady has all of the tools. Similar to Aikman (3 SB rings) but more mobile.
He has arm strength, accuracy, intelligence and mobility.

Favre only has a tired arm and some mobility. And a hand with only one ring. Hes had plenty of good teams but yet only one ring. Apparently, Bradshaw went along for the ride huh? I suppose anyone could have thrown some of those miracle throws to Swann and Stallworth? He also has 4 SB rings. If anything Greenbay won their SB because Favre was able to limit his bonehead interceptions for one year.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
I think Brady has all of the tools. Similar to Aikman (3 SB rings) but more mobile.

Favre only has a tired arm and some mobility. And a hand with only one ring. Hes had plenty of good teams but yet only one ring. Apparently, Bradshaw went along for the ride huh? I suppose anyone could have thrown some of those miracle throws to Swann and Stallworth? He also has 3 SB rings. If anything Greenbay won their SB because Favre was able to limit his bonehead interceptions for one year.

Uhh...Just for the record, Bradshaw has 4 SB Rings. He was a lot better QB then he's given credit for. If I had a choice between Favre and Bradshaw both in their prime, I'd take Bradshaw without hesitation.

NightRyder

Last edited:
pradike said:
Really....I sure wish I knew as much about this stuff as you do...

Oh wait....

How many Superbowls did Marino win again...hmmm....that would be ZERO.

I never said a QB couldnt get in without a ring. Again your reading skills are lacking. I said a ring is a ticket. Id say Marino and hopefully Warren Moon are exceptions to the ring rule. But with Favre's interception ratio without a SB ring Id never put him in. Marino was not the interception machine that Favre is.

vurbano said:
Agreed

vurbano said:
Favre only has a tired arm and some mobility. And a hand with only one ring. Hes had plenty of good teams but yet only one ring.
Yeah...again, you know sooooo much...14 years of 3000+ yeards...the arm must be getting tired....

Except for a one-year-wonder rushing year for Terrell Davis, Favre would have had back-to-back wins, and he STILL almost pulled it off. Then there's those 7 Division wins, including 3 in a row...he's the #3 winning QB of all time, and less than 17 behind #1. Your take is all wet. Enough said.

NightRyder said:
Uhh...Just for the record, Bradshaw has 4 SB Rings. He was a lot better QB then he's given credit for. If I had a choice between Favre and Bradshaw both in their prime, I'd take Bradshaw without hesitation.

NightRyder
Amen

pradike said:
Agreed
Yeah...again, you know sooooo much...14 years of 3000+ yeards...the arm must be getting tired....

Yes, but his yardarge numbers are inflated because of his tendency to get intercepted -- a lot.

GeorgeLV said:
Yes, but his yardarge numbers are inflated because of his tendency to get intercepted -- a lot.
So did Marino and Elway. Each led the league in that category ar least once. Clearly, they're inflated too then....What's your point.

pradike said:
That's what all you Vikings fans have been hoping for for years!
These pictures are your real motivation, aren't they?

sorry...not a Vikings fan. Havent been for years

Bronco fan

But I can't stand Farve...plain and simple. Mainly because the networks are ALWAYS on his jock
"Oh Brett Farve is the greatest"
"Oh look at that pass by the master"
BLAH BLAH BLAH

And like a typical Packer fan...always trying to relive the past with those pictures.

pradike said:
So did Marino and Elway. Each led the league in that category ar least once. Clearly, they're inflated too then....What's your point.

My point is that while Brett Favre was a great quarterback for a few seasons, but he's had several seasons of very good to sometimes pedestrian quarterbacking as well.

GeorgeLV said:
Let me simplify things even further...

If Favre plays 1-2 more years, he has the potential to be #1 in virtually every QB category period. And he will have done it in less years than Marino and Elway. And unlike Marino, he's been to 2 Superbowls and won 1. Based on those facts, the interception stat is virtually meaningless and he would be the best of all time. End of story - set and match.

pradike said:
Let me simplify things even further...
If Favre plays 1-2 more years, he has the potential to be #1 in virtually every QB category period. And he will have done it in less years than Marino and Elway. And unlike Marino, he's been to 2 Superbowls and won 1. Based on those facts, the interception stat is virtually meaningless and he would be the best of all time. End of story - set and match.

Yes, Brett Favre is unquestionably special becase he started playing at a high level nearly from the time he entered the league. But if you asked me what aging quarterback I'd want on my team right now I'd definitely take Trent Green over Favre.

GeorgeLV said:
Yes, Brett Favre is unquestionably special becase he started playing at a high level nearly from the time he entered the league. But if you asked me what aging quarterback I'd want on my team right now I'd definitely take Trent Green over Favre.
Trent Green???? Pleeeeaaaassseeeee. He hasn't accomplished 10% of what Favre has done.
I'll concede that Brady and maybe Manning have the potential to be up near the top with the big three some day (Favre, Marino, Elway). They have both the tools and the talent around him - and Brady has the rings. Longevity and staying power is all they have left to prove - otherwise - they're about they only QB's right now in that same level.

There is also one other dynamic coming into play going forward - the league as a whole has much more parity now, and therefore, the probability of staying power increases if you have a solid team around you under contract, and decreases if you don't.

Last edited:
GeorgeLV said:

Bingo. He gives up the ball almost twice a game. 2 less offensive drives for the team and two extra for the opposition. The interceptions are what destroy his stats. With the parity in the league today he cant win like that. The game has passed him by.

Last edited:
GeorgeLV said:
My point is that while Brett Favre was a great quarterback for a few seasons, but he's had several seasons of very good to sometimes pedestrian quarterbacking as well.

And lets not forget he also had the most ridiculous home field advantage in the cold months of the season.

Last edited:
pradike said:
Trent Green???? Pleeeeaaaassseeeee. He hasn't accomplished 10% of what Favre has done.
I'll concede that Brady and maybe Manning have the potential to be up near the top with the big three some day (Favre, Marino, Elway). They have both the tools and the talent around him - and Brady has the rings. Longevity and staying power is all they have left to prove - otherwise - they're about they only QB's right now in that same level.

There is also one other dynamic coming into play going forward - the league as a whole has much more parity now, and therefore, the probability of staying power increases if you have a solid team around you under contract, and decreases if you don't.

Im sorry but those are not the big three.They are all below Bradshaw, Staubach, Aikman and some others Im sure slip my mind. the parity of the league makes Favre's poor decisions with his interceptions even more of a liability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts