Brian Kelly will be named Charlie Weis' successor at Notre Dame

This doesn't fix anything. I don't see ND winning more than 3 games next year with no Clausen, no Golden Tate and no defense.

I feel for the kids in Cincinnati. I understand Kelly taking the promotion, but couldn't he at least wait a few more weeks until after the Bowl?

Question #2: If Cincinnati had the opportunity to play for a National Championship, would Kelly still leave? Maybe he sees that even an undefeated regular season in Cincy still isn't enough to guarantee a National Championship Bid. If the roles were reversed and Notre Dame went 12-0, I can guarantee you they'd be playing for the MNC. Reason #567 why we need a playoff.

I think he should have stayed. ND is a tough job to coach.

I feel for the kids in Cincinnati. I understand Kelly taking the promotion, but couldn't he at least wait a few more weeks until after the Bowl?
Because of recruiting deadlines. They pretty much force coaching changes to be done this month.

They should change the rules to make it so the coach going into the bowl game should be the coach to coach the team, thus, no one leaves till after thier bowl game.
Or make a freeze of coaching moves till after all the Bowl games are over unless the university wants to release them.
All the need to do is push the signing date back by another few weeks.

They should change the rules to make it so the coach going into the bowl game should be the coach to coach the team, thus, no one leaves till after thier bowl game.
Or make a freeze of coaching moves till after all the Bowl games are over unless the university wants to release them.
All the need to do is push the signing date back by another few weeks.
Blame the NCAA. They're the ones who recently moved it up instead....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/sports-section/186168-ncaa-football-2009-10-season-228.html#post2040436

Blame the NCAA. They're the ones who recently moved it up instead....

The logic of which escapes me.

Back to topic, Kelly will either end up being a hero or just another goat at ND. The schedule is going to be easy enough (the AD padded it with Fat Chollie's help), the recruiting will be easier than at Cincy, but the talent pool that will be left over for him? That seems to be the big question, to me.

2010 Notre Dame Football Schedule - 2009 Records
Sept. 4 PURDUE 5-7
Sept. 11 MICHIGAN 5-7
Sept. 18 at Michigan State 6-6
Sept. 25 STANFORD 8-4
Oct. 2 at Boston College 8-4
Oct. 9 PITTSBURGH 9-3
Oct. 16 WESTERN MICHIGAN :D 5-7
Oct. 23 at Navy (at Meadowlands - East Rutherford, N.J.) 8-4
Oct. 30 TULSA 5-7
Nov. 6 Open Date 12-0 :)
Nov. 13 UTAH 9-3
Nov. 20 ARMY (at Yankee Stadium - Bronx, N.Y.) 5-6
Nov. 27 at USC 8-4

How many of these winnable (7 are at home) is the question.

With some of the top players leaving (graduating or early NFL), how long will it take Kelly to replace and rebuild the program?

I wish him the best, he seems like he has a clue and is a good coach.

The logic of which escapes me.

Back to topic, Kelly will either end up being a hero or just another goat at ND. The schedule is going to be easy enough (the AD padded it with Fat Chollie's help), the recruiting will be easier than at Cincy, but the talent pool that will be left over for him? That seems to be the big question, to me.

Not necessarily. Cincinnati has notoriously went "outside the box" when recruiting players in all of their sports. They don't exactly have the same standards as the highly touted Catholic School in South Bend.

The fact that Kelly told Cincy he was going to stay makes me sick.

WHY would he lie to the team?

And why would he even leave Cincy?

Is the Notre Dame coaching job REALLY that special? IMHO, it is NOT. They're a past-their-prime program that acts like they're still hot stuff.

He is a gutless traitor, and I hope he fails at ND.

Dan Patrick made an interesting observation on his show this morning about the players being pissed that he left before the bowl game...It appears that some of the players who are, rightly or wrongly, upset with Kelly didn't really care for him before the whole ND thing started...and then went on to ponder if these same players were guaranteed a high-paying spot on an NFL team next season if they left the team right now, would be gone in a heartbeat themselves!!!...:eek:

The fact that Kelly told Cincy he was going to stay makes me sick.

WHY would he lie to the team?

And why would he even leave Cincy?

Is the Notre Dame coaching job REALLY that special? IMHO, it is NOT. They're a past-their-prime program that acts like they're still hot stuff.

He is a gutless traitor, and I hope he fails at ND.

Well they probably quadrupled his salary.
He's an up and coming coach.

ND is NOT past it's prime by a long shot, all they need is the right coach that can get the right players and they will be right back on the map.
Just like any other major school.

I'm not saying he will be able to do all that, but ya never know.

Dan Patrick made an interesting observation on his show this morning about the players being pissed that he left before the bowl game...It appears that some of the players who are, rightly or wrongly, upset with Kelly didn't really care for him before the whole ND thing started...and then went on to ponder if these same players were guaranteed a high-paying spot on an NFL team next season if they left the team right now, would be gone in a heartbeat themselves!!!...:eek:

If the players were good enough for the NFL, they will STILL be in the NFL, coach or no coach.

The WR is the real deal, he'll play for a long time at the next level.

I was unsure when I was reading it, what they were saying .... glad they understand ..... he still should have stayed to coach the BOWL game, imo.
Quitting before the bowl game does suck, but it is just an exhibition. Cincinnati doesn't get any reward if they beat Florida, so who cares who's coaching. Were there a playoff it'd be different. Plus this is prime recruiting season and ND is hurting for players. If they don't have someone out there trying to sign kids they're going to be left with nothing but Rudy's playing for them next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts