Broadband and it's Purpose

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Well I had to upgrade my router and went with a Netgear product. At the same time I went and bought the wireless USB to connect mt recievers up. What I want to know what all the hoopla is all about. I went into what was there and didn't find a thing worth looking at. I thought, my mistake, was that you could look at older shows to download and watch. Unless I am missing something there isn't anything like that. For example if you wanted to watch episodes of House from last year is there a way to get them with this? Hulu would seem better and will be a better option after I get my Wi-Fi TV next year but I can't find anything appealing about hooking up your recievers to the Net. Please let me know if I am missing something, could be total operator error! Thanks

Well, unless you want to purchase movies then this is pretty much a waste then. Also, why would I want to pay for an older movie when it has been played to death?

Try using your computer as the media server, that way almost anything you can find and download or stream to your pc can be played to your TV.
Thats the real beauty of broadband.

I know eventually I will want internet access to a Wi-Fi enabled tv so I can use it as I would my computer but the Dish feature just doesn't cut it. I would hope they would eventually have the programming that Hulu would have and one would be able to go back and watch previous full seasons. This is what I thought was possible but obviuosly not. I will then run an ethernet cable directly from my modem to the tv and bypass the reciever at all. I know that Dish will upgrade their product down the road but that won't be very soon.

While I have used DishONLINE (Dish's broadband offerings) to see a number of HD episodes I accidentally missed, and it does have a very good movie library of both old and new cinema, it is certainly not the the Cable TV VOD where you can access several seasons of TV shows, etc. And of course, as stated, the boxes that allow access to Netflix (far more economical) and HULU, etc. do have much more variety and podcasts from CNET, Revision3, TWIT, etc. However, I have and do find things--FREE--that I do download and watch from DishONLINE broadband service.

While I have used DishONLINE (Dish's broadband offerings) to see a number of HD episodes I accidentally missed, and it does have a very good movie library of both old and new cinema, it is certainly not the the Cable TV VOD where you can access several seasons of TV shows, etc. And of course, as stated, the boxes that allow access to Netflix (far more economical) and HULU, etc. do have much more variety and podcasts from CNET, Revision3, TWIT, etc. However, I have and do find things--FREE--that I do download and watch from DishONLINE broadband service.

No doubt E is intentionally limiting the VOD offering to minimize losing subs.

If you can get it for FREE on VOD why pay for that package???

I have been using a new device called Veebeam HD (veebeam.com). Anything I can play on my laptop (or PC) is beamed to my HDTV via wireless usb. It works great even with HD content.

Speaking of broadband, I just connected my 722 via slinglini on my router. I've noticed that there is constant communication from the receiver and there is something accessing the internet and has been since I installed it (about 20 hours ago and counting)

Is this normal? Why does it need to seemingly be constantly downloading content?

This is a new receiver which was installed about 10 days ago, can it be a firmware upgrade?

Thanks all.

Firmware updates come in via satellite, not broadband. It's probably busy downloading numerous movies. These are the ones that show up as "VOD" in the program guide (channel 1 and channel 500).

Firmware updates come in via satellite, not broadband. It's probably busy downloading numerous movies. These are the ones that show up as "VOD" in the program guide (channel 1 and channel 500).

Makes sense, since I do notice those options now and movies ready to be viewed, etc. Is there any way to tell how much bandwidth it is using? Seems to be a nuisance only for now, but I'd hate to be using up a lot of bandwidth.

now that you have the initial download, it should only need to do small updates once in a while. unless you order a movie or show that isn't in it's HDD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)