Strong rumors TV 2 soon to be unlocked on 922

Jerryinvirginia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Been notified that TV 2 function will be operable with next SW upgrade. That will make the "Sling Machine" a very popular addition to my viewing requirements. I'm sure that other owners agree. If this is old news, sorry. Looked for recent threads and didn't find mention.

Jerryinvirginia said:
Been notified that TV 2 function will be operable with next SW upgrade. That will make the "Sling Machine" a very popular addition to my viewing requirements. I'm sure that other owners agree. If this is old news, sorry. Looked for recent threads and didn't find mention.

Who told you?

When is the next sw update ? Will tv 2 output in hd?

HD - I don't see how since I'm sure he is talking about the modulated TV 2. Basically it would be just like the other VIP receivers.

I have mentioned this a few times, and in addition a number of folks have informed me there is a secret key combination you can do to put the 922 in dual mode... but I never found out what it was.

Some folks keep on saying the 922 is dead. Its not, it still has a long future ahead of it.

iamfoesho said:
I have heard the samething from a Beta Tester at my Local DNS office. He claims he is currently testing the firmware with TV2 enabled.

This would at least begin to put the 922 on par with the 722/622 (with the exception of some on the spot and season pass DVRing). I'm still not convinced it's worth an extra $4/month without the along extender though.

Anything in beta test does not mean it will be a firmware release, ie apple was to release air print for the iPad, this feature is now cancelled since it does not work the way apple wants it to.

Some folks keep on saying the 922 is dead. Its not, it still has a long future ahead of it.

No Dish receiver is ever really dead until they stop security card updates for them. But, it is a matter of what resources are they going to put behind the box. In the case of the 922, it looks like very few. Updates to fix things that should have been working on day one (or very shortly afterwards) slowly trickle out. Even the 921 eventually got most things right before they took it out to pasture. They are not treating it like their flagship. It took how many months before 109 came out where they get most basic features working (like recording more than one show at a time without the 922 losing some along the way, or USB drive support, etc). Now we hear that soon TV2 might work. Next will probably be google TV. I am sure in a year or so it will probably be close to where the 722 is in features now that work reliably. It will be funny if the sling works better on the 722 than the 922.

I am sure that the 922 will continue to be improved and supported for many years on Dish. But, will it be debugged before the "next" flagship comes out (i.e. like the 921 vs the 942).

Anything in beta test does not mean it will be a firmware release, ie apple was to release air print for the iPad, this feature is now cancelled since it does not work the way apple wants it to.
This will... it is the main new feature of the next release (or so I have heard) :)

If their production costs for the 922 dropped enough then it would get more common like 722's or maybe even replace them.

If their production costs for the 922 dropped enough then it would get more common like 722's or maybe even replace them.

It is probably cheaper than the 622 was when it came out. It is probably not too different in price from the 722. I would be surprised if it was more than $30 difference in components from the 722. Probably costs less than the 722 came out at too.

OK. If TV2 experience functionality, like the 722 et al. is opened and after hearing from posters how the latest software update has made the 922 much more stable, then I am ready to get a 922 and bear with the lack of DishPass hoping they will fix that too. So, Dish, do you want my money or not?

OK. If TV2 experience functionality, like the 722 et al. is opened and after hearing from posters how the latest software update has made the 922 much more stable, then I am ready to get a 922 and bear with the lack of DishPass hoping they will fix that too. So, Dish, do you want my money or not?

You can have Dish pass and manual timers via remote access online. It works this way with the 922. Though I would rather have it through the receiver itself.

What do those of you that NEED DishPass use it for? I have had every Dish DVR since the 942 and have never once found a use for Dish Pass. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)