Broadband connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lgb0250

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
OK I've searched and can't quite find what I'm looking for. I'm a little technically challenged so be gentle.

Just found out today that I'm being charged $5 for not having a phone line hooked up to my 622. Well, I do have a phone line hooked up to it but it is just dead. That's a whole other story.

I would like to hook up to my cable internet connection except my router and main computer are upstairs and my 622 is downstairs in the LR. Is there some way to remotely hook them up or do I have to run a cable down through the ceiling???

Thanks for your patience.

You could either get an ethernet "gaming" adapter that would plug into the RJ45 on the back of the 622 and allow you to connect to the wireless router. Or you could use a pair of "powerline networking" adapters, but they'd have to bypass any surge suppressor you might use.

Or do what I did: run the long cable. :) I put a switch in my cabinet, so that single cable handles several components.

get a home plug ethernet adapter to connect to your router. then just plug your 622 directly into the wall or with a power surge that has a homeplug outlet.

Obvious, but make sure you didn't put your phone cord into the Ethernet jack--it does fit loosely.
The phone line's center 2 pins are used for the primary phone line.
A secondary line uses the other 2 pins and will not work for dish.
Ethernet does not use the center 2 and MAY short them, which would deaden your regular phones.
Ethernet uses 4 of its 8 connector pins as 2 pairs.
-Ken

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones help. I think I'll try the homeplug route first and if all else fails I guess I'll drop a line. Again, thanks.

Got the homeplug delivered 30 minutes ago. Hooked it up. Plugged the 622 into a regular outlet and bingo, perfect. Picked up my ip right away and all is well. For $11 off of Ebay this worked out perfect. Thanks for everyone's help.

Homeplug is awsome. I cant thank Cyclone enough for the thread he ran some time ago on Homeplug. Until then I never new it existed. Glad it worked out for you.

Yeah, that surprised me when Dish announced HomePlug support during that TechForum. Who says that there aren't any surprises during those chat shows?

I still wish that they had sticky'd that thread. Seems like we always have to dig it up every few weeks when someone asks the "how to hook up the ethernet when I don't have a jack at the receiver" question.

Yeah, that surprised me when Dish announced HomePlug support during that TechForum. Who says that there aren't any surprises during those chat shows?

I still wish that they had sticky'd that thread. Seems like we always have to dig it up every few weeks when someone asks the "how to hook up the ethernet when I don't have a jack at the receiver" question.

I know what you mean. I have pulled that thread several times to help answer networking issues. I don't mind digging it up, but you are right. It should have been made a sticky.

Who makes the HomePlug compatible surge strips?

Good question. I have some elcheepo ones that work. The more expensive ones will not work. I'll look when Iget home and send you the brand name.

Bought it off of Ebay for $1 and paid $9.99 shipping!!!! Oh well, it works. That's all I care about. What I have noticed though is that my caller id doesn't work. Don't need it anyway. Again guys, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)