Broadband problem VIP 722

I can't believe you guys could say anything bad about your slingbox and a 722! It must be your router because that's what the CSR has been telling me for a month now. Maybe it's your cables. Maybe it's a slow internet connection. But we do know for a fact that it could not be a software issue! And I'm the only person that's having a problem, according to the CSR. I have a new receiver and a new router, same problem. I like the red paperweight reference!
Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with this issue

So what your saying is, suddenly everyone's router has gone to crap.
Fact: everyone's was working fine until BB Access came along.
It is most definitely a Dish problem.
I have also tried the hard reset and dmz with no success.

There are two separate, but probably related issues.

1: Dish On Demand/BBMP menu items showing the 789 receiver not connected popup. Several folks, including myself are (usually) still able to sling even though we get the popup. Although personally, slinging is getting more and more sporadic.

2: Dish Online not being able to connect to the receiver.

Both issues seem to have started consistently around October 1st with the L677/L721/BBMP rollouts.

I did a PM survey of some posters and of the 9 responses all were 722s, no 722k or 622 units. 7 were with AT&T, 1 Frontier, 1 Windstream. It's not a large enough sample for real conclusions, but it is interesting ATT is the only large ISP (no Verizon, Comcast, etc). Have to wonder if Frontier/Windstream use any AT&T services upstream. Several had 622s or 722Ks that were connected to the same routers that were fine.

It smells like a routing or DNS issue to me, possibly combined with 722 software that may be a little too sensitive to a failed keep-alive packet and doesn't try again.

Yes, in fact - I am also an AT&T Uverse subscriber.

Is there a port that is closed by default on Uverse? I'm not a Wiz with router / modem settings, unfortunately. Could someone investigate opening the various ports or firewall settings on the 2Wire modem/router AT&T uses, that would allow us to connect??

If you have luck, please post "idiot-proof" instructions to do this for the rest of us. (I'm a Mac user, if that enters into the picture.)

Many thanks to anyone who gives us a clue how to solve this!

Ok it did not do it before the software update now it does so so it would seem to be a software problem to me .
but really i do not care the dish blockbuster is not worth the trouble anyway

Mines is now fixed.
I called Dish this past Sunday and they transferred me to their broadband support team. Didn't do any resets as I had already done them. She asked me if I would like to file a trouble report, I refused as they were already aware of the problem.
After hanging up, I turned off my reciever as we watched a bluray movie. After the movie finished I turned on the reciever and noticed none of my timers had started e.g the Good Wife, Panam, Boardwalk Empire. So I checked my DVD schedule and instead of the titles it said no information. So I checked my guide data and some of the channels also said no info. So I did a check switch and and forced a Channel guide update.
then checked my timers still said no info however the guide did upgrade.
I am thinking Dish did something to cause these timer/guide problems in order to fix my error 789 problem, because it is now fixed.
So I encourage everyone having the connection problem to call and ask the Dish customer care agent to transfer you to the broadband support department and tell them you have tried all resets to the receiver and your router and was working before the Blockbuster update.
Good luck.

Mines is now fixed.
I called Dish this past Sunday and they transferred me to their broadband support team. Didn't do any resets as I had already done them. She asked me if I would like to file a trouble report, I refused as they were already aware of the problem.
After hanging up, I turned off my reciever as we watched a bluray movie. After the movie finished I turned on the reciever and noticed none of my timers had started e.g the Good Wife, Panam, Boardwalk Empire. So I checked my DVD schedule and instead of the titles it said no information. So I checked my guide data and some of the channels also said no info. So I did a check switch and and forced a Channel guide update.
then checked my timers still said no info however the guide did upgrade.
I am thinking Dish did something to cause these timer/guide problems in order to fix my error 789 problem, because it is now fixed.
So I encourage everyone having the connection problem to call and ask the Dish customer care agent to transfer you to the broadband support department and tell them you have tried all resets to the receiver and your router and was working before the Blockbuster update.
Good luck.

The problem is back again. I am sick of this crap.

Both issues seem to have started consistently around October 1st with the L677/L721/BBMP rollouts.

I did a PM survey of some posters and of the 9 responses all were 722s, no 722k or 622 units. 7 were with AT&T, 1 Frontier, 1 Windstream. It's not a large enough sample for real conclusions, but it is interesting ATT is the only large ISP (no Verizon, Comcast, etc). Have to wonder if Frontier/Windstream use any AT&T services upstream. Several had 622s or 722Ks that were connected to the same routers that were fine.

Thank you so much for compiling this information for us. I have sent this information to our engineers and hopefully they can track down the issue that is causing the broadband to disconnect. We are working to get this issue resolved.

Yes, thank you Mary for forwarding this info. Interestingly enough, I have a 722/L721 on Cox, and I suffer no such disconnects. So score another one for the ATT (or is it DSL?) hypothesis. If it's a DSL thing, it might be as simple as the new software forcing MTU to 1500 rather than whatever it is for DSL.

Yes, thank you Mary for forwarding this info. Interestingly enough, I have a 722/L721 on Cox, and I suffer no such disconnects. So score another one for the ATT (or is it DSL?) hypothesis. If it's a DSL thing, it might be as simple as the new software forcing MTU to 1500 rather than whatever it is for DSL.

I appreciate Mary's help too and know she's doing whatever she can, but if the pattern holds and the Dish engineers haven't figured it out already then they have bigger problems.

Shouldn't be MTU, 1500 is fine unless there is an upstream router that is flakey.

I have Charter and can't connect most of the time (unless I'm sitting in front of the DVR--big help!), so it's not just ATT.

Are you using DSL? There other providers but they have all been DSL and the majority AT&T from the 9 members polled but all the ones I gathered are from other providers as well. Please PM me your account information so I can add your account to my information, thank you!

Shouldn't be MTU, 1500 is fine unless there is an upstream router that is flakey.

Not on DSL lines, it isn't! Endpoints are supposed to negotiate a Maximum Transmission Unit. On Ethernet networks, this has been 1500 since it was invented in 1980, until Gigabit Ethernet introduced jumbo frames of greater than 9000 bytes. It can, however, be lower as it is on every DSL modem I've ever seen. Don't know why it's lower, but I would imagine there are some error correction bytes being added to each frame for transmission over rather crappy unshielded twisted pair, which is what your phone line is.

I have Charter and can't connect most of the time... so it's not just ATT.
I think Charter is a cable TV company, yes? This still doesn't prove it's not a simple MTU problem, if your cable modem or router WAN MTU is inexplicably set to 1492. This shouldn't disturb any other networked equipment that negotiates correctly. But my hypothesis is that the new firmware in the 722 has the MTU fixed at 1500. Some frames will be less than 1492, while others will get dropped, truncated, or split in two, depending upon the specific router. This could certainly cause the receiver to go offline.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts