Broadband USB

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
I saw on the dishnetwork site a new item for broadband hookup, the USB wireless. Any idea when these might be out and if so has anyone heard any good or bad news about them. I was thinking of buying the slinglink system to hook up my recievers but this USB gadget seems more logical than using the existing electrical wires in your house that the slinglink uses. Any info?

Installers have them available to use in the field, although they are in short supply to us. I don't know if and when Dish will have them to sell to customers outright. They are Netgear wireless.

You can just buy an USB dongle and plug it in yourself if you want to now. That is, however, if you receiver had the new software on it already to support it.

The NETGEAR RangeMax WNDR3700 Dual Band Wireless Router [Amazon.com: Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700 Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (Black): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more] makes an excellent wireless base station. [$149.00 new]

The NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter WNDA3100 [Amazon.com: NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter WNDA3100 - Network adapter - Hi-Speed USB - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft 2.0): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more] works in conjunction with the RangeMax WNDR3700 Router above and allows for the PRIORITIZATION of movie data over other network traffic. [$49.00 new].

Both area available at deep discounts on eBay and via other Internet locations.

The Dish Network wireless USB adapters are just re-packaged NETGEAR USB adapters with Dish Network instructions.

We have Comcast Business Broadband - 100 meg down and 20 meg up [I have an office in our house which both requires and pays for the bandwidth] and we easily get an average speed of 80 meg down over the Netgear wireless router. Over a hard-wired connection, we routinely get 110 to 115 meg download speeds.

I got my WNDA3100--help me connect it

Hi guys, from a first-time poster. Be gentle. ;)

I purchased the WNDA3100 and plugged it into my 722k. Instead of the handy broadband setup boxes, I get a warning that I've plugged in an unsupported device.

I forged ahead, going on to Sytem Setup/Installation/Broadband Setup in the menus. Wireless Setup is grayed out. If I go to Network Setup and click Reset Connection, it still doesn't connect.

I know the 3100 is good, because it hooked up fine from a computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
mcbearcat

I purchased the WNDA3100 and plugged it into my 722k. Instead of the handy broadband setup boxes, I get a warning that I've plugged in an unsupported device.

Is your WNDA3100 a version 2? The original version doesn't work.

Somewhere I read that the USB adapters are a bit finicky and some will only work with the wireless routers they are branded with. So maybe the reason the one poster has he is using a different brand router with his adapter. I just bought a new Netgear router and two adapters for my computer and recievers and can't wait to get home to try them out.

Is your WNDA3100 a version 2? The original version doesn't work.

Ouch! Mine is a V1 that I got from an Amazon partner after reading a less specific tip in another thread compared to the excellent one provided by chicagonettech. I guess I bought myself a doorstop.

Thanks for the tips. I shoulda shopped here first.

- mcbearcat

The USB wireless adapter from Dish is indeed a repackaged Netgear WNDA 3100, but it only costs $25 and that includes an extension cable, a plastic mount (to mount the adapter away from devices that could cause interference), and instructions for setting up broadband access. At best, you could only save a few bucks by getting a USB adapter from another source, so why bother?

I just installed the USB adapter on my VIP 612 receiver and it works great. I can manage my DVR recordings from a web browser or using the Dish iPad app. I also downloaded a movie from Dish's online offerings, onto my DVR. Granted, it took 6 hours (!) over my relatively slow wireless broadband connection, but it worked.

The USB wireless adapter from Dish is indeed a repackaged Netgear WNDA 3100, but it only costs $25 . . . . At best, you could only save a few bucks by getting a USB adapter from another source, so why bother?

I just installed the USB adapter on my VIP 612 receiver and it works great.

Thanks for the tip. If I hadn't already brought my WNDA 3100, I'd get the device from Dish. I got a refurbished 3100 from an Amazon partner called EMBIZ for just $17. I ordered version 1 through my own ignorance, but they then sent version 2 (which is needed for this system) at no cost, even absorbing the return postage for the original unit!

The refurbished 3100 works great, and I'm able to do everything you mention. One other thing though: I got the impression that I could download programs from my 722k to my computer. Is that right? I can't figure it out.

Thanks to all for their help.

Last edited:
Well after buying a new router, I needed to anyway, and two 3100s I hooked them up to my 722 and 622 and found that there was absolutely NOTHING on the Dish site worth even watching. What a waste of money and until they come up with some better programming to justify any downloadingm my 3100s will just sit in a drawer collecting dust.

It's sad to see a company putting so much time and money into such a farce as this pseudo-VOD.

It's sad to see a company putting so much time and money into such a farce as this pseudo-VOD.

Exactly! I always thought you could access past seasons of shows and download episodes that you missed. But instead they play old movies that you might have to pay for or episodes of shows that recently played. I am not sure what the purpose of this is all about but I am sure that someday it will be what people really want, total access to ALL content. I would even be willing to pay a small amount each month so I could view this programming. I am just waiting to get my new LCD screen in the spring and then I will have use for the 3100s.

I'm thinking that this is just getting off the ground, and expect to see more/better offerings in the future. For me, just using the USB wireless for remote access to my DVR and as a substitute for a connected phone line (I went VOIP years ago) seems worth $25.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)