Broadcasters Ponder Post-MPEG-2 World

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have a minor difference with the writer, he implies that going from MPEG2 to MPEG4 is a leap similar to analog to digital and I disagree - transmitters are already digital all that is needed is to change the encoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4, possible a software or at most replacement of only part of the MPEG2 hardware.

that makes it sound a whole lot better, if it means more channels i am all for it, according to RabbitEars there are over 30 networks that are carried on subchannels across the country and that is in english, with h.264 (MPEG-4) we could see twice or more the amount of subchannels we currently do,even some in hd, if only the subchannels switch over

maybe just lose the subchannels, most likely with the repack there will be another new standard, i know Sinclair is testing DVB-T2, it could be ATSC 3.0 if it gets done on time for the repack which is mid 2015

All the converter boxes and current TV tuners will be obsolete when atsc3.0 is introduced and goes live. It is not going to be backwards compatible with current atsc tuners. TV's will need new tuner boxes.. However that is still many years away and hopefully if standards are set in the next few years manufacturers can implement dual tuners into future tvs so they are ready for the next ota conversion.

I have a minor difference with the writer, he implies that going from MPEG2 to MPEG4 is a leap similar to analog to digital and I disagree - transmitters are already digital all that is needed is to change the encoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4, possible a software or at most replacement of only part of the MPEG2 hardware.

The larger issue IMO is the tens of millions of HDTVs that do not support MPEG-2. I don't know how many are using OTA, but it's not an insignificant number...and we just completed the analog-to-digital conversion not long ago.

Lotta luck. Too many vultures eyeing the OTA spectrum. But of course, maybe MPEG-4 & later could keep more stations on the air as more spectrum is "repurposed."

The larger issue IMO is the tens of millions of HDTVs that do not support MPEG-2. I don't know how many are using OTA, but it's not an insignificant number...and we just completed the analog-to-digital conversion not long ago.

Only way I see it working is that they put the requirement to support MPEG-4 or HEVC in new sets. Then after a couple years let stations do sub channels in the new format. They would probably have to wait 10 years for a full conversion.

Only way I see it working is that they put the requirement to support MPEG-4 or HEVC in new sets. Then after a couple years let stations do sub channels in the new format. They would probably have to wait 10 years for a full conversion.

Absolutely. And cause an uproar. But the beauty of the USB OTA dongle approach by Dish will be clear. No need to replace the entire STB or unscrew a module.

most likely by the time the auction/repack occurs there will be a new non backwards compatible standard which will require a new converter box for all tv's and that is mid 2015, it will not be a transition like how it was from analog to digital, the reason why the CEA does not want to push h.264 (mpeg-4) converter boxes on the public is because of broadcasters want of a new standard with the repack, if not for that unless somehow ATSC 3.0 will not be close to be done by the auction repack, it is decided to just go to DVB-T2, or h.264 (mpeg-4) ATSC 2.0 Receivers will be pushed on to the public and broadcasters will at least say if you want to see subchannels then you will need a new box and some could say you want to see our channel and subchannels you will need a new converter box, especially with the talk of broadcasters sharing channels with the auction/repack, with HEVC in ATSC 3.0 or maybe DVB-T2 broadcast television will change more networks will launch current networks will see more distribution some pay channels will even be tried if anyone subscribes to them even if ATSC 2.0 gets pushed on to the public

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts