Broadcasters Would Rather Not Have To Post Political Ad Rates Online

DustoMan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 9, 2010
Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
How much you want to bet the stations don't want this because it would show the public at large just how much money they get from political groups and that would go against this "Poor Us We Need More Money From Re-Transmission Agreements" garbage they keep trying to convince us of. If on a channels home page you have a story about how Dish/Direct doesn't think their content is worth two cents and then another that states exactly how many thousands of dollars they get from political campaigns and SuperPACs to run ads every ad break, they kinda butt against one another.

Broadcasters Would Rather Not Have To Post Political Ad Rates Online - The Consumerist

While this does not apply to radio broadcasters (yet) All broadcasters are stuck between a rock and a hard place thanks to FCC policies and fear of making a mistake in handling ANY political issue, candidate, or vote.

Broadcasters almost have to have a dedicated DEPARTMENT for the purpose of adhering to rules and regulations! One mistake in handling can be costly to the broadcaster! Rates among stations, while somewhat guarded aren't as much the issue here, as is making it easier for the candidates' agencies knowing how much money to spend where, given the extra information available so easily!

It's not about the consumer as the article seems to think "if consumers want to see this information" It's about agencies for political figures not wanting to work to earn their money! They want it easier to buy time without doing their homework, (after all they get paid to place ads) and to know in what direction to throw their money.....and...they've sold that idea to authorities, while the very same agencies that handle political candidates are literally a pain in the butt to all broadcasters!

I actually had a political candidate's agency in Michigan last time we took these ads say, "I'll mail you the check after I get back from vacation" and, when I pressed for the political certification paperwork she said, "Can't we just do this when I get back?" I said, "no; I'm not risking my license for your vacation!" This was a state level candidate's agency! She (the agent) had to cancel a day of her precious vacation to turn around and handle HER duties, but got angry at ME. Meanwhile, another (candidate) hired an OUT OF STATE agency to handle their Michigan campaign. Left a bad taste in my mouth for "support local/Support Michigan!"

Rules about affording equal time to competitors also make scheduling tough, and can make bumping of your valued regular loyal clients a very real possibility. The very same clients whose money support the broadcaster day in and day out, year after year, not just during political seasons!

At our (radio) station, we refuse ALL political commercials except those "required" by the FCC, those being Federal Candidates placed by officials working the campaign for the particular candidate (not third parties.) We'd rather have sanity, and give our listeners the same! We take NO local, state, or issues-based politicals, only the ones required by law. It wins us many listeners in political season!

All of which begs the question, "do we really want our voting decisions made by how many times a name is said on the air in ANY medium?" That's NOT the definition of "educated voter!"

Someone just took my soapbox away. The above is true of small town radio, not TV...but I believe it applies, and the possibility we may have similar mandates proposed in our medium is strong, once the door has been opened!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)