Broken LNB!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swandive76

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 1, 2009
Montana
Total Newbie here so please forgive any wrong words that i use to describe what happened to me.

I tried to install a Slimline dish with SL5-SWM LNB today but while i was carring the LNB mount up the ladder it slipped from my hands and fell to the ground. It hit the ground right on one of the 3 LNB and snapped it right off. Luckly my son who was helping me was not underneath it or i think he could have been really hurt.

Anyway i was looking in where the LNB snapped off and was suprized to see that there were no wires inside. I didnt know what to do so I thought i would try some Mighty Putty (Billy Mays RIP) to try and re-attach it. What do i have to loose?? It attched firmly but i still dont know if that is good enough

I still havent been able to point my dish correctly and am starting to wonder if the broken LNB is the cause or i just dont have it pointed just right.

Any thoughts? Do i need a new LNB? If so is that an easy part to source without having to buy a whole new dish?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance

Swandive

Total Newbie here so please forgive any wrong words that i use to describe what happened to me.

I tried to install a Slimline dish with SL5-SWM LNB today but while i was carring the LNB mount up the ladder it slipped from my hands and fell to the ground. It hit the ground right on one of the 3 LNB and snapped it right off. Luckly my son who was helping me was not underneath it or i think he could have been really hurt.

Anyway i was looking in where the LNB snapped off and was suprized to see that there were no wires inside. I didnt know what to do so I thought i would try some Mighty Putty (Billy Mays RIP) to try and re-attach it. What do i have to loose?? It attched firmly but i still dont know if that is good enough

I still havent been able to point my dish correctly and am starting to wonder if the broken LNB is the cause or i just dont have it pointed just right.

Any thoughts? Do i need a new LNB? If so is that an easy part to source without having to buy a whole new dish?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance

Swandive

Welcome to the site :)

First off, why not just let D* do it ?
The LNB that broke, if it actually broke the casing then it probably is no longer water proof and I would get a new one.
Did it bend the arm at all , if so, you'll not be hitting the sats correctly, remember your pointing at something that is 22,000 miles away, a very slight difference down here is HUGE up there.

You can get a new dish from D* or thru one of the site sponsors or various other places online.

Replace dish the drop may have bent dish/mounting brackets or just damaged the LNB and you don't have a way of checking for slight changes just the major obvious breaks.

Swandive76, what did you drop, the lnb, the lnb with the arm, or the entire dish? If just the lnb, you will likely have to replace it. If the arm, then that too. If the whole dish, it could have bent and also may need to be replaced. Like Jimbo said, why not let Directv do the install?

It was the lnb, the arm, and the part the the dish and the arm attach to. The one the slips over the mounting pole and lets you adjust the tilt and skew etc. Not sure what that is called. So basically everything except for the reflector dish fell.

At that point I guess I should replace everything? Probably the easiest and cheapest way now.

He's doing it himself, because he probably doesn't qualify for SWM. D* won't put a SWM LNB in an existing customers account. They will only do it for new service with more than 5 tuners activated.

I would replace all of it. Did you consider the SWM8 vs the dish swap?

I am not sure what all the hardware I got is called. I do have the 8 port switch. And the power supply.

I guess I should look for a whole new dish as the only peices that didn't fall are the dis and the mounting pole. I'm assuming that buying the lnb, the arm, and the mounting unit seperatly will cost more than a whole new dish

I am not sure what all the hardware I got is called. I do have the 8 port switch. And the power supply.

I guess I should look for a whole new dish as the only peices that didn't fall are the dis and the mounting pole. I'm assuming that buying the lnb, the arm, and the mounting unit seperatly will cost more than a whole new dish

That may be. Check on Solid Signal | Digital Converter Boxes, DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories to see which is cheaper, the pieces or the whole dish.

He's doing it himself, because he probably doesn't qualify for SWM. D* won't put a SWM LNB in an existing customers account. They will only do it for new service with more than 5 tuners activated.

I would replace all of it. Did you consider the SWM8 vs the dish swap?

They are putting them in up here for any job that come close to qualifying.
Sooner or later that will be the standard I would imagine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)