Spot Beam Coverage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

patty03

Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
VT
Hi....I'm a new here so hopefully someone can help me out.

Not knowing much about spot beams/coverage I'll leave it up to you guys.
I'm from Northern Vermont (basically on the US/Canada border) and will be camping this weekend in PA.

I was hoping to take my Directv receiver with me and watch some games in PA. The only spot beam map I found looks as though I would be under spot beam 21 (as spot beams 1 and 12 don't encompass northern VT).

It also looks like spot beam 21 reaches as far south as Maryland/Virginia. My question is will I be able to receive my VT locals in PA as long as i'm within the Spot Beam 21 coverage area?

Attachments

• dtv4s.gif
    dtv4s.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 567
Hi....I'm a new here so hopefully someone can help me out.

Not knowing much about spot beams/coverage I'll leave it up to you guys.
I'm from Northern Vermont (basically on the US/Canada border) and will be camping this weekend in PA.

I was hoping to take my Directv receiver with me and watch some games in PA. The only spot beam map I found looks as though I would be under spot beam 21 (as spot beams 1 and 12 don't encompass northern VT).

It also looks like spot beam 21 reaches as far south as Maryland/Virginia. My question is will I be able to receive my VT locals in PA as long as i'm within the Spot Beam 21 coverage area?

If you are talking about sd channels, then maybe. I doubt you will get hd locals that far away, since the spot beam for the hd channels is smaller than the sd ones. Good luck!

... since the spot beam for the hd channels is smaller than the sd ones.

NOT always true - it totally depends on any given beam(s).
I can tell you for a fact the Chicago HD spots are stronger down my way than the SD ones are! ;)

As you said, the OP didn't mention SD or HD, but either way, he's probably going to just have to try it & see...

nope just trying for sd....so you're saying there's a chance? ha

I thought it sounded pretty crazy to able to get VT channels in PA, but looking at the map it looked like they were both covered in the same beam so I figured I would put it out there and see what everyone thought.

Ok so my thinking was off then. So the spot beam coverage has nothing to do with it? Anything outside of 125mi from home and you have no chance?

Ok so my thinking was off then. So the spot beam coverage has nothing to do with it? Anything outside of 125mi from home and you have no chance?

it depends.

Here in MN the Minneapolis spot beam covers pretty much the whole state. Reason is the Minneapolis market is so big they HAVE to cover it. So honestly except for maybe the far SW or SE part of the state you can get the Mpls market

Your mileage may vary...i usually say 150-200 miles max from where the towers are for the market

Well Vermont to PA without a doubt exceeds the 200 mi. distance so I guess that answers that.

Appreciate the help though.

Your local sd channels are on 72.5, yes? IOW, you have a separate dish for locals? If so, they are on spot beam 6. The hd locals are on 103, spot beam 1.

it depends.

Here in MN the Minneapolis spot beam covers pretty much the whole state. Reason is the Minneapolis market is so big they HAVE to cover it. So honestly except for maybe the far SW or SE part of the state you can get the Mpls market

Your mileage may vary...i usually say 150-200 miles max from where the towers are for the market
It is like that in many parts of the deep south as well.

The birmingham spot covers up to 250 miles south at 97% signal strength.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)