Broken Record: New Forum Member / Advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JeffreyDJ

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Nashville, TN
Well, I have two HDTV's. A 51inch WS Toshiba in the family room, and a 30inch flat-panel LCD in the bedroom. I've had DTV for almost two years and I'm not currently under contract. I also have NFLST.

My current equipment is:
1. DTV Tivo
1. Samsung SD Tuner.

I just ordered for $149.00 total the following (after a $250 Customer Retention Rebate):

1. HD DTV Tuner / Brand Unknown
2. 6 Months free Showtime (one HD channel)
3. 3 months free HD package (for 5 measly channels)
4. Free OTA Antenna (technically $50) for my locals.
5. Free Installation

Verified through multiple people they would upgrade my equipment when MPEG4 is available with out any extra cost. They all volunteered this information freely. One mentioned I may have to pay shipping, but he wasn't sure. No biggie, IMO.

I really wanted HD in both rooms. I was going to have HD and SD-Tivo installed in family room, and HD tuner in bedroom. However, the 2nd tuner they were going to charge me $349 for it. No way I was paying that much. So new Plan is HD tuner on Big screen, and move DTivo to Bedroom. I guess I'll have a doorstop for the old SD Samsung Tuner.

They'll be here Wednesday morning, but I'm still contemplating ditching DTV, regardless of NFL ST and going (shudder) Comcast. They are much more attractive for the HD route, albeit at a more expensive monthly price. But Im guarenteed HD Local reception without an Antenna.

It'd also take over a year and a half for those higher monthly costs to even equal the money I'd save getting HD in both rooms from DTV (including the savings from NFL ST). And that is only for reular HD tuners from DTV. I'd be getting TWO HD DVR's from Comcast.

I'm leaning toward keeping my appointment and seeing what DTV does in the next year, and trying to find a cheaper 2nd HD Tuner for the bedroom.

So, a few questions.

1. Did I get a good deal?
2. Is NFL ST SF worth it at $49 in your opinion.
3. What is my best avenue for a 2nd DTV HD Tuner? eBay?
4. What if anything, do I need to make sure the installer does special for my bedroom in anicipation of a 2nd HD tuner later (i.e. Extra cabling)?

I know this was a long post, but I am truly conflicted on what to do. And, as a newbie to the board I truly apologize for posting something many of you have answered 10fod over the last few months, I'm sure. :)

I know Comcast may very from city to city, but I live in Michigan and I made the switch to comcast from DTV and did not like it. Fitst my digital reception on my Toshiba 51inch was horrible. Second My HD box was always freezing up!. I must agree the Hd package right now is not the greatest. I do cross my fingers and hope they do upgrade soon. Plus I am a big NFL person, and had to go back to sunday ticket. And yes, it is kind of a pain to have a antenna for locals in HD (I have an indoor that seems to do the job), but also hopefully it changes too down the road. I guess it comes down to preference but I had directv for about three years made a switch to comcast becouse I did not want to High HD start up cost, but after six months and switched and got a deal from DirecTV similar to yours. Hope this tidbit helps. O on SF, I am still debating that too. My local games are in HD...Do I need to rest in HD, I am thinkin that over also

I am worried ComCast will be a horrible experience .. Plus, I'm hoping DTV gets there act together within the next few months.

To answer both questions, yes it was customer retention. That was after two emails and two phone calls (they called me).

I had to bring up showtime and hd package myself. I've tried to get more, including $10 off for five months to pay for the NFLST SF package. so far, thats the best i could do

Yea I just got propositioned from Time Warner cable, all the HD content of DirecTV plus INHD1, INHD2, TNTHD and all the local channels in HD, a total of 18. Plus it is MUCH cheaper than DirecTV.

To confuse me even more.

For $250 installed (+$49.99 activation, $49 credit on first bill) and $67 a month from DishTV I'd get:

1. (1) HD-DVR
2. (1) HD Tuner
3. 180 Channels
4. 5 HD channels, including TNT-HD
5. 10 VOOM channels in HD.
6. I'd buy an OTA Antenna for Locals (~$60)
7. 6 Months free HD Programming (making bill for first 6 months $52)

Better all around. Anyone have any comparision between Dish/Direct?

Cable is back-loaded and "fine-printed" with subsidies, specials and bundling requirements that will all run out and then your bill will creep above the amounts you pay for DBS. Not to mention the one-sided ruling that have protected them in the past is running our fast and all the DBS companies are launching to cover the only things cable offer (VoD and HD locals).

I really don't want to turn this into another cable bash thread, but trust me -- I know everything you just said.

My perspective is this: No huge upfront costs. So, even if I only were to stay with Cable for a year, financially, I end up in better condition. I'm not worried about getting DTV service again after that year is up. I think we all know what has to be/can be done to get service reactivated without a problem.

Costs issues are why the DishTV offer above started to fall apart: Higher program costs compartively. Added costs above and beyond the $360+ total start-up fee ($49 refunded as activation fee, $250 for DVR, and OTA Antenna, so ~$310 start-up). When you take that all into account, it starts to not look as good. The nice things would be no contract, HD now in all rooms, 15 channels minimum + all locals throught OTA (I'm only about 27 miles from the antennas). Downsides: Higher program costs after 6 months and no NFL ST.

MINUS the start-up fees, the same story goes for cable. I know all of the downsides, the nickle and diming, the analog channels under 100, etc. But, aren't we living with inflated costs already?

I mean, my NEW total bill will be pushing $120 in a few months with DTV! I'll be paying basically $2 a month per HD channel, paying $49 a month (for five months total) for HD and SD NFL games, and paying an imaginary access fee for a 2nd room and the right to have a DVR! No DBS or Cable company is not guilty of trying to pry more money from our hands.

But, I'd still consider these other two routes if I don't hear something from DTV soon that is solid about a more economical HD/DVR. I suppose at this point I have something like 28 hours to make a decision. :p

Heck, I'm half-considering investing in two off-air OTA tuners and ditching everything!

So ... Quality wise, I know Cable SD channels are not as good overall. But, how does Dish Compare in that department, and in signal strength from their antenna?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts