Brrrr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tim Godsil

On Vacation
Jan 31, 2007
The lights are flickering, theres 1/4 ice on everything, power outages in town and my dish is coated with ice,trees sanpped. Also i uploaded a movie.

The lights are flickering, theres 1/4 ice on everything, power outages in town and my dish is coated with ice,trees sanpped. Also i uploaded a movie.

Tim, you'll never be a satellite hobbyist until you are willing to go out in that sort of weather and install a new dish, or reaim if needed! :D

perfect time to go out and work on them :)

I just went outside and moved my big dish from in front of the garage, shoveled the 4 inches of snow to clean a spot and put the dish back :)

Sounds like here. No tree limbs down yet though, hopefully not.

Last years ice storm had us without power for 2 days.

navagator, I'm just up the road from you (down the new 4 lanes anyhow), and the last ice store we had here took down so many trees that I had piles of branches 4 foot high by 8 foot wide all the way around 2 sides of my property after dragging them all out there. We had people here without power for nearly a week, but I was only without for about 2 long miserable hours.

Desert weather cold too...

Ain't got any snow yet but it's windy and cold here in CA high desert, cold to me anyhow. I don't think I could survive in your weather....:eek:

If I have to go outside, it's for chopping firewood, dish-play will just have to wait. :(

Looking at the outdoor thermometer right now... 69.8 degrees. Perfect weather for changing the oil in the vehicles today.

LOTS of ice here - got a few inches of snow but it is just a thick slushy mess - kinda like a slushy at kwiky mart :) My 15 mile trip to work took 50 minutes. Hopefully when I am off at 2am it will be better :)

It is a chilly 65F today, but braved the cold to get the truck washed and waxed at the local detail shop. While I watched, sipped on a hot latte to chase away the chill.

Scooped a few leaves out of the pool and trimmed turned the spa up a few degrees ....... Yep, winter is here in California! :haha

My dish is stuck and looks like a ice cube :) . I was going to take some pics but didn't want to get the camera wet, and we have all seen dishcube. I went out and thought about doing a Red Green redneck deiceing but I will wait until morning. I think it will amount to peeing on a forest fire right now since it is pouring freezing rain.

Good news is that last year we lost about every power line in a big ice storm and they are just about finished with the upgrade to the new larger poles and lines so I hope we don't go dark. I see the county has about 6600 in the dark but as long as the main lines stay up we should be ok!!!

Bad news is no HD games tonight unless I get the OTA HD feed and with the rain I am sure the OTA signal will have about 10 seconds of drops for every second of viewing. Oh well as long asthe Dish sub stays up the wife will be happy and I can watch the Bulls on the Superstation tonight.

Here in the La Crosse area, we have 5-6 inches of snow...and has been freezing rain and sleet for the last 2-3 hours. Just a mess.

navagator, I'm just up the road from you (down the new 4 lanes anyhow), and the last ice store we had here took down so many trees that I had piles of branches 4 foot high by 8 foot wide all the way around 2 sides of my property after dragging them all out there. We had people here without power for nearly a week, but I was only without for about 2 long miserable hours.

Wow, that's a lot of timber :eek: .

We lost some limbs here but not on that scale. Unfortunately one of the larger limbs we lost just happen to be over the power line that runs into the house.

We kept a couple of large pots of water boiling on the stove for heat, kept us fairly warm.

well OK... 4 to 6 inches of snow, today. Going on 2 years without , commercial power, all the trees on our 20 acres are gone... Oh, yeah, thats why we bought this place. Solar cells almost keeping the batteries charged. and our closest neighbor (1/4 mile + away) has lights on. Both dishes covered with ice and snow, sweep off what we can. Twenty degrees and 28 mph wind. Beautiful ! Leaving for warm south in 5 days! (If we can get the motor home up the driveway!) I put up the OTA beam antenna again, lasted about 4.5 hours before the ice and wind got it. Now has no UHF elements. Oh, well Glorystar is STILL working FINE ! Thanks to all who helped me get it set up. Blessings on all of you! POP
Hope to get some pictures posted when I have high speed internet on road.

perfect time to go out and work on them :)

I just went outside and moved my big dish from in front of the garage, shoveled the 4 inches of snow to clean a spot and put the dish back :)

Years ago I had loose bolts on the head of my 12 foot dish and it lost alignment in a bad winter storm. I was out there in the storm realigning my dish.

Last weekend we had an ice storm and I lost X4 on my Primestar dish so I was out there pouring buckets of hot water on the reflector to get my signal back.

Hey gotta keep my dishes working :D

yesterday I went out with the snow rake and got the 8+ inches of snow off the roof and mainly around the motorizes dish so I could move the dish :)

yesterday I went out with the snow rake and got the 8+ inches of snow off the roof and mainly around the motorizes dish so I could move the dish :)

25 cm or almost a foot of snow and -33 degrees celsius (-27.4F) here in Saskatchewan the past few days. Got the dish on the side of the house, 4 feet off the ground, and haven't had any snow issues yet.

the snow I can deal with...the bitter cold is what sucks

at our cabin (about 2 1/2 hours north of Minnepaolis) it was -22F yesterday morning

I can work in 0 weather...but -20 thats too cold

Im sick of winter this year already and I live in northern Illinois. As I get older I can't tolerate it like when I was a kid.

Status
Please reply by conversation.