BTN Grandfathered?

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Was the Big Ten Network included in the Top 120 for free when it originally came out? I can't remember. I have a customer that I just upgraded yesterday that tells me he lost his BTN and regional sports channels. I looked up his account and see that he only subscribes to the AT120 so I told him you are not suppose to receive those channels. He told me that he just got them suddenly a few years ago and once we upgraded him the channels are now gone.

I told him you we getting them under some grandfathered promotion or you were getting them accidentally for free. Now he's all upset with me and threatening to cancel service because of it. How the heck was I to know he was getting those channels for free. I told him that everyone has to pay for them and that he should consider himself lucky he got them for free for so long. I said he should call Dish to get it figured out but I'm not sure what they can do for him.

Does this seem odd or am I the crazy one?

My memory may be wrong, but I thought it was available to everyone when it first launched and then after almost a year it suddenly was said it was in free preview and would only then be available in multisport outside of Big Ten states

When released, they were a free preview. Likely, if he was still recieving thhem, and had only 120, then he was likely recieving them in error, and should consider himself very very lucky. He saved that money on something he should have been getting charged for.

He says he never altered his programming and from what he said his bill has been I would say that he's right. I'm thinking he originally got it as a free preview or something and in error it was never removed. So now he's mad at me because he lost the channels once he upgraded and got a new TV from me. It's just been a rotten day for me at work with Dish related stuff.

If he is in a Big Ten State (most), should he not get them? I have 120 and BTN, no regional sports.

You have to have 120+. Schermman. Think you are doing everything right. No way for you to know that one. He just got very very lucky.

I don't, plain old 120.

You are one of the lucky ones also. Customers must have the AT120 Plus and live in a Big Ten state to get the channel. If not in one of the states then customers must have the AT120 Plus and the Multi-Sports package.

Well, I take all the luck that comes my way.:)
I also get FXX, which I've been told I should not (not that I ever watch it).

My memory may be wrong, but I thought it was available to everyone when it first launched and then after almost a year it suddenly was said it was in free preview and would only then be available in multisport outside of Big Ten states

Yep. I remember the same.
I got the multi sport pack for that channel.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

So, I am in Indiana (Purdue, IU), with 120 and should NOT be able to get BTN with just 120? Seems to be a lot of crosscurrent info/opinions.

120 does not get RSNs, period. You can't order it as multisport and it doesn't come with the level of programming. If you want it, you have to upgrade to 120+. The fact that you have it today is a gift, that simple....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)