Budget iPhone packaging: 5C

They need something to compete in the midrange and let's be honest, the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s are getting quite long in the tooth.
I've been running a 4 for maybe 18 months, and really liking it.
Trying to get my hands on a cheap 4S since Xmas.
There'll be a flood of them soon, when the 5S rolls out. :up

Yes, for a public asking "what's new" every 3-4 months, my late 2010-produced 4 seems Neolithic. :)
But age hasn't affected its functionality, convenient size, nor reasonable battery life.
A "cheap" handset with the same features & screen size, in a plastic case, at a $200 retail price point , should fly off the shelf!
?
?But from what I've read, Apple intends a $400-$500 retail handset for emerging markets.
?I ask you, does that make any sense? ;)

...?
?But from what I've read, Apple intends a $400-$500 retail handset for emerging markets.
?I ask you, does that make any sense? ;)

Yes if you are Apple and want to maintain your margins. Problem is it won't sell and they will miss out on thus opportunity.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If they can get the price of the 5C to half the 5s (not subsidized), it would probably sell well. The iPhone 5 runs 649 to 849 without a contract. If they get the 5C to start at 299 (perhaps with just 8GB flash) they could probably maintain their margins... The rumor is that it will have the iPhone 5 processor with a lower res camera and plastic back.

Yeah, they only sold 31.2 million iPhones last quarter. I'm sure there are a lot of companies that'd love to be that desperate...
Yeah.. a falling stock price, following competitors rather than leading them, and selling more of their older models than their new ones. Apple is NOT where they want to be right about now. Yeah they're doing better than 99.9% of the other companies out there, but by Apple standards they are NOT doing well. Steve Jobs would be going insane if he were still alive.

And going to a cheaper iPhone model is not the path to go IMO. Honestly, part of why people like the iPhone is that it looks and feels like a cool phone. A plastic case will give it a cheap feeling, and with mid-range specs packed in there will be no compelling reason to pick one up versus say, an older model of the iPhone. And yes, if they call it the 5C people will call it the "Cheap" which is NOT the image that Apple wants to convey.

Yeah.. a falling stock price, following competitors rather than leading them, and selling more of their older models than their new ones. Apple is NOT where they want to be right about now. Yeah they're doing better than 99.9% of the other companies out there, but by Apple standards they are NOT doing well. Steve Jobs would be going insane if he were still alive.

And going to a cheaper iPhone model is not the path to go IMO. Honestly, part of why people like the iPhone is that it looks and feels like a cool phone. A plastic case will give it a cheap feeling, and with mid-range specs packed in there will be no compelling reason to pick one up versus say, an older model of the iPhone. And yes, if they call it the 5C people will call it the "Cheap" which is NOT the image that Apple wants to convey.

Stock price has been rising in recent weeks. It's up about 15% in the past month (from ~$400 to ~$460). My opinion: Based on revenue, the stock is undervalued. Why is it undervalued? Negative press and public perception based on that press. I expect this to turn around the minute they announce a new product line (TV, watch, whatever). I just hope I have the opportunity to invest more in the stick before it climbs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)