Budget system/old equipment

There were many helpful responses to my inquiry while I was out today. I am still inclined to go with a 612 rather than the 211 regardless of whether the monthly fee is $10 or $15. Not only is the 612 $20 less upfront, the recommended hard drive for the 211 is $150 and 2 TB or less are becoming less available. Also, it would be a benefit to avoid the step of downloading DVR software into a 211 and another device in the form of the hard drive to sit under the TV. Finally, two tuners is a big plus.
As far as the satellite dish itself, it probably is asking for a lot of unnecessary complications to try and reuse my old FTA dish and ancient LNB. I looked through the landlord's fence at his storage yard today and he has a 3 LNB dish that someone left behind when they moved their trailer out. It is even on a non-penetrating ground stand. I am sure he would let me have for free or a very nominal price.
In regards to OTA, that is what I am doing now along with Netflix DVDs. However, I am to the east of a row of very tall pine trees that block the view of the TV towers to the west. I have lived here before and had to put up a 30 foot mast to get stable digital reception when the wind is blowing those branches. This is dusty West Texas. Also, the station I would like to get the most is KRWG from NMSU (see my avatar) and that is almost impossible from here.
I think we have a plan. I will talk to the landlord on Tuesday and consider ordering the 612 after the first of June. Thanks to all!

Reactions: DWS44 and TheKrell
There were many helpful responses to my inquiry while I was out today. I am still inclined to go with a 612 rather than the 211 regardless of whether the monthly fee is $10 or $15. Not only is the 612 $20 less upfront, the recommended hard drive for the 211 is $150 and 2 TB or less are becoming less available. Also, it would be a benefit to avoid the step of downloading DVR software into a 211 and another device in the form of the hard drive to sit under the TV. Finally, two tuners is a big plus.
As far as the satellite dish itself, it probably is asking for a lot of unnecessary complications to try and reuse my old FTA dish and ancient LNB. I looked through the landlord's fence at his storage yard today and he has a 3 LNB dish that someone left behind when they moved their trailer out. It is even on a non-penetrating ground stand. I am sure he would let me have for free or a very nominal price.
In regards to OTA, that is what I am doing now along with Netflix DVDs. However, I am to the east of a row of very tall pine trees that block the view of the TV towers to the west. I have lived here before and had to put up a 30 foot mast to get stable digital reception when the wind is blowing those branches. This is dusty West Texas. Also, the station I would like to get the most is KRWG from NMSU (see my avatar) and that is almost impossible from here.
I think we have a plan. I will talk to the landlord on Tuesday and consider ordering the 612 after the first of June. Thanks to all!

Glad you have it worked out. I wasn't sure if you had thought of the TiVo or ChannelMaster OTA DVRs. However, I can understand if OTA reception is less than reliable. Hopefully you'll get your Dish system set up satisfactorily. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Your biggest savings is going to be to not buy a receiver as you are mentioning and get it from DISH with a two year contract. I **think** you may pay only $10 for a DVR fee and you will get discounts off the packages. There is no monetary savings by getting your own receiver except in a rare instance or two, and with a new subscriber it will cost you more if you are not getting the two year deal. If you are planning on the two year deal why not get their receiver....
Wait, Dish is now doing two-year contracts with discounted DVR fees and discounts off Welcome Pack? :clapping

I am considering returning to DISH after a two year absence. I would need to be on an extreme budget. I have been looking at the VIP 612 DVR at Solid Signal. I definitely need a DVR and although I realize I would incur the $15/ mo fee, the 612 seems a better deal than a 211 which would require an external hard drive and $40 software download fee. Plus only one tuner would be limiting.
I still have the below linked 30 inch dish and LNB that I used about 10 years ago during my FTA years to receive some DISH channels that were free at the time such as NASA and a PBS station form Ohio.
1. Would I be able to simply run two lines from the LNB to the 612?
2. I realize that I would only get one satellite orbital. I would be getting the Welcome Pack for locals primarily. If any other channels in the Pack come in that would be just a plus. Can the receiver be activated from any orbital or should I aim at 119 first and then move it to receive my locals?
3. Can this receiver be aimed first before activation? I believe I have read that the 211 cannot.
4. Is there anything else that I have overlooked?
All input will be appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)