Bug Reports for S109

marty45714

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Belpre, OH
Reporting these hoping someone from Dish Network is reading or that someone will pass this along.

First Issue: This is reproducable 100% of the time. Sort recording in folders by title. Go into one of the folders and delete all of the shows in the folder. After doing this, clicking the Back button will take you to a blank screen instead of to your list of programs.

Second issue: Sparatic. Occasionally, when I put the unit into standby, the optical audio will not shut off, so I will have to mute the home theater receiver. I have heard from others that this may be due to when the OTA tuner is being used for a recording or is being watched live. I can't confirm or deny as of yet.

As for the second issue I see this usually happen on ota stations if I turn the receiver off while watching one. A minor thing that I don't care about since I can turn off my a/v receiver and it turns off all sound to my tv then.

A bug to me: you can't delete channels from your favorites list if you no longer subscribe to that programming. It stays in red in your favorites list forever.

I believe the first "bug" is how they have it intended. The other VIP receivers do the same thing.

Spent 20 minutes on the phone with a very nice csr and tried all sorts of fixes but she said she couldn't turn the service on then off without charging me. So I guess I'll have to wait till a bug fix comes out.

Sorry, tech.

I kind of found it amusing the different procedures she had me try. All would have work if she would have turned the channels on. Maybe I'll try again with a different tech.

1. Recordings do not extend their end time if there is another recording coming up, even if that other recording is on the same channel (eg: Record 30 Rock and The Office, the last scene of 30 Rock is cutoff and is also missing from the start of The Office. Both are on the same channel so there shouldn't be any delay or missed programming). Attempting to extend the end time of one of the timers just causes the 922 to claim it can't record everything (because I have a different hour-long program recording on another channel). I can probably juggle things to make this work, but it really seems like the 922 should be able to share any minutes of video that are common to different timers if those timers are back-to-back on the exact same channel. In fact if I designed the software, I'd have it seamlessly continue playback because that's probably the right decision 90% of the time.

2. Sometimes recordings don't happen. The schedule says that the recording is scheduled later (but this is the first airing) so it is skipping this instance, but upon further examination that episode is not scheduled to record anywhere else. If I hadn't caught this, I would have missed Boardwalk Empire last sunday. The timer is high priority but there wasn't any conflicts on the schedule anyway. My 722 used to pickup missed recordings at their later airing but I confirmed that the 922 isn't doing this, it just skips it entirely (eg: It wasn't recording Boardwalk Empire at the later airing that evening, nor the re-run later in the week).

3. Online software is extremely slow when trying to press any remote buttons. It makes using the 922 for its intended purpose very frustrating. Also full-screen mode has no buttons or on-screen display. Further, when watching a recorded program it should let you scrub forward/backward on a timeline.

4. The software will occasionally just claim it can't connect; requires restarting my browser to get it working again. This is all on the local LAN so there are no connection issues. I have my DHCP server setup to issue the same static IP to the 922 so its address never changes.

5. The software won't go full-screen correctly. Watching a 16:9 HD program on my 16:9 laptop results in black bars all around the video no matter what combination of zoom settings I use in the software or Format settings I use on the receiver.

6. Sometimes when you press a button to get the popup menu on the DVR or Guide screens, the menu will flash briefly then disappear. eg: Select a program in the guide, hit Record, then I will see the Record this/Record Series/More Info/etc menu flash briefly then disappear. Sometimes I can get around this by repeatedly pressing Record until the menu finally stays up, other times I have to exit the guide and try again.

7. If a program is skipped, there is no easy way to restore it from the Guide. If I press RECORD, it doesn't ask me if I want to restore that timer it just takes me to the Daily schedule, but if I haven't pre-set the schedule to show skipped timers I actually can't see anything useful at all.

8. When doing slow-forward of a program, the "x1/15" box stays on the screen. Previously, I used this instead of pause because my TV is a RPTV and I already have very slight burn-in from the pause bar. There should be some option to enable screen saver mode or hide on-screen scrub bar/info bars after a certain time period. eg: if paused for more than 2 minutes, throw up the screen saver.

These are just the first few things that make this box 100% worse than a TiVO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts