jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Space Systems/Loral Selected to Provide High-Power Satellite to DIRECTV
PALO ALTO, Calif., Jun 11, 2010 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) -- Space Systems/Loral (SS/L) today announced that it has entered into a contract to provide a high-power satellite to DIRECTV. The new satellite, DIRECTV 14, which was started earlier this quarter under an authorization to proceed, is a 20 kilowatt spacecraft that will use Ka-band and Reverse DBS to expand the company's video services.

"By employing the world's most advanced technologies, like the highly reliable SS/L 1300 satellite platform, we are able to provide the best video experience to our customers," said Phil Goswitz, vice president, Space & Communications, DIRECTV. "DIRECTV 14 will be the sixth SS/L 1300 satellite platform in DIRECTV's fleet and we look forward to continuing our relationship with Space Systems/Loral and maintaining our leadership as the provider of the most HD and 3D available anywhere."

The 1300 is a decades-proven, modular platform with the industry's highest power capability and flexibility for a broad range of applications. It enables DIRECTV 14 to use Ka-band and reverse band spectrum on a satellite that will help DIRECTV expand its HD programming to both national and local markets. The satellite is designed to provide service for 15 years or more.

"We believe it is a combination of great satellites and excellent service that keeps long-standing customers such as DIRECTV coming back to us for their spacecraft," said John Celli, president of SS/L. "Our satellite platform is well-suited to helping companies make use of newly available spectrum such as RDBS, and our experience with 20-kilowatt-class satellites is unsurpassed. We look forward to helping DIRECTV expand the exceptional viewing experience they provide."

Space Systems/Loral Selected to Provide High-Power Satellite to DIRECTV - MarketWatch

Interesting that they didn't stay with Boeing after three successes with DirecTV 10, 11, and 12.

dtv 10 has never completely worked and 12 isn't working at what should be full capacity because it is picking up some of the load from 10

How long until it launches and get more HD?????:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Had to say it because some will else will. At this point HD options are running thin so it isn't a big deal.

It will be interesting to see how SSL is differs from Boeing in terms of on-time delivery and the time from launch to service.

dtv 10 has never completely worked and 12 isn't working at what should be full capacity because it is picking up some of the load from 10

Word is D10 is repaired, soon the D12 load will be back on D10 and new channels will launch on D12. Soon as in days to a few weeks, not long by any means.

To be fair D10 mostly worked, just a few spotbeam issues. D11 and D12 work perfectly.

Actually they had authorization to build Directv 13 filed with the FCC but canceled it. I guess the act of filing a satellite name with the FCC means the name can't be reused.

Boeing must not have been the lowest bidder this time.

Interesting. They jumped ship on Boing on this one. There is also significant business involved in the contract for stationkeeping management after launch. Probably means that Loral will get all the upcoming Directv 17 GHz BSS satellite contracts (they have near identical configurations)- a nice chunk of business.

At this point HD options are running thin so it isn't a big deal.

Not that thin... I can think of about 20 channels I am still waiting for (I know we are getting a handful in a few weeks but who knows how long for the rest). By the time D14 launches, I'm sure we'll still be missing some channels available today and then add to that all the new ones that launch between now and then.

I really don't have much confidence at this point in DTV ever being the "HD leader" again (except for sports and misleading advertising campaigns). But, we'll see what actually goes live on D12 by the fall. Maybe they'll change my opinion.

Not that thin... I can think of about 20 channels I am still waiting for (I know we are getting a handful in a few weeks but who knows how long for the rest). By the time D14 launches, I'm sure we'll still be missing some channels available today and then add to that all the new ones that launch between now and then.

I really don't have much confidence at this point in DTV ever being the "HD leader" again (except for sports and misleading advertising campaigns). But, we'll see what actually goes live on D12 by the fall. Maybe they'll change my opinion.

Interesting you mentioned HD Leader ....
Are you referring to the NUMBER of HD Channels ?

I could care less if they have a few less HD channels, as long as they are quality channels, who wants 75 more channel no one watches.

At this point HD options are running thin so it isn't a big deal.

Might be some channels on this list we do get now + some we are getting 6/23 but these are HD channels still not carried by directv.

1. AMC *
2. E! Entertainment Television*
4. Fuse
5. G4*
7. HSN
8. IFC*
9. Lifetime*
10. Lifetime Movie Network*
11. Outdoor Channel*
12. QVC
13. RFD HD
14. Style Network*
16. TV One*
17. WE tv*
18. Wealth TV
20. @Max
21. 5StarMax
22. ActionMax
23. MoreMax*
24. OuterMax
25. ThrillerMax
26. WMax
27. HBO2*
28. HBO2 West*
29. HBO Comedy
30. HBO Family*
31. HBO Family West*
32. HBO Latino*
33. HBO Signature*
34. HBO Zone
35. The Movie Channel West
36. TMC Xtra
37. Encore*
38. Encore Action*
39. Encore Drama*
40. Encore Love*
41. Encore Mystery*
42. Encore Wam*
43. Encore Westerns*
44. Starz Cinema
45. Starz in Black*
46. BBC America*
47. Discovery ID HD*
48. BET Jazz*
49. CSPAN*
50. CSPAN 2
51. CSPAN 3
52. NASA*
54. FOX College Sports
56. Fox Movie Channel*
57. Fox Reality*
58. Fox Soccer*
60. OWN*
61. Sleuth *
62. Sundance*
63. Flix
64. Sho Beyond
65. Sho Family Zone
66. Sho Next
67. Sho Women
68. TCM HD*
69. Epix HD*
70. ION HD*
71. Fear Net HD*
72. True HD*
73. Headline News HD*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts