burn in question...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
With all of the different sets on the market today, I can't keep up on which sets will burn in or not. I know my CRT RPTV will burn in, but I also have a 32" flat screen Olivia LCD in the bedroom. Should I be concerned with burn in with this TV?? I'm concerned with the black bars on the sides when watching SD programs.

All that i have read says LCD's are supposed to be ok, but plasma suffer, which is why burn in has become such a big issue, when in reality it might not be, as for plasma's the hours required are considered to be very high.

However one option for dish users is to try the gray option, instead of normal (use the # on the remote). Also you may find that is an option on your TV set.

Jeff

CRTs and plasmas use phosphors, and are susceptible to burn in. That being said, the problem is often overrated, especially if you reduce the brightness.

LCDs do not "burn in." They can get "image retention" which will fade away. DLPs and LCoS do not have burn in.

I wouldn't worry about it. I also wouldn't run even an LCD on the brightest setting.

I have a Phillips widescreen HD CRT and a Panasonic plasma. So far, I have not experienced burn-in with the CRT. I play XBOX games on it for hours with no burn. The plasma on the other hand is a different story. I have noticed temporary image retention with it several times. The first and worst was when I lost signal on my Comcast DVR. The DVR displayed a static white on black error message in the center of the screen. I was away from the screen when it happended, so the message was displayed for about 45-minutes before I shut it off. I noticed the next day that the message was still readable on the screen. Two days later the message was barely noticable. 4 days later it was gone. I have had similar occurences with bright static images displayed for as little as 10 minutes. They usually fade in a few hours or a few days. I don't know if this is typical for plasmas.

I immediately reduced the sharpness, brightness and contrast on my Mits RPTV a few years ago (used AVIA to determine the best settings). I also set the side bars to be grey and watched stretched a lot for shows that didn't look too bad that way. I still have burn-in caused by the DAMN scrolling banner on the news channels. :( This burn-in is only really noticable when there is a light colored scene.

My next TV will not be either CRT or Plasma based.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)