Burning content from my 942 to DVD-R

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mr_snerdly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I have a 942 reciever with the USB port in the back of it. I would like to be able to transfer programs I have DVRd to my computer, then burn them to DVD-R, how would I do this? I have a USB port on my computer. Can I take Cat-5 cable and place a USB face on it, then plug one end of it to my 942, and the other to my pc?

nope wont work that way.

If you wan't it on your computer you'd have to use the rca composite cables and capture it

Do I plug the composite cables to my tv, or to my computer? Is there anyway of getting recorded programs to my pc, or would I have to buy a DVD Burner/Player stand alone and forget about the pc?

I could be wrong, But I don't think the video is available at the 942 USB in a useable form. You would need a capture card in your PC that would acccept composite or S-video + L/R audio from your 942.
A couple of examples are:
ATI TV Wonder Pro
Hauppauge USB-2 card

Although you won't get HD, this is not as bad as it seems because DVD is limited to 720 x 480 resolution anyway. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easy way to get the 5.1 AC3 audio without capturing it separately and remuxing it, so you're stuck with Stereo even on those programs that have 5.1. I use S-video in to the PCI version of the Hauppauge card with Nero6.6 to edit out commercials and burn. The combination makes excellent DVD's.

Bob

Do you know anything about DVD Recorders? I would purchase one of those if I can hook it up to my 942 and copy programming to DVD-R at will. Thanks for your help.

mr_snerdly said:
Do you know anything about DVD Recorders? I would purchase one of those if I can hook it up to my 942 and copy programming to DVD-R at will. Thanks for your help.
Not really. I'm too cheap. :D
Adding a PC card was a lot less expensive at the time I was looking. They've gotten much cheaper, but I can't imagine that the standalone players have the editing flexibility of a PC solution. Also, a variety of programs allow you to make archival copies of DVD's that can't always be copied on standalone players due to content protection circuitry. If you don't care about any of those features, a standalone player is probably easier to use and should make perfectly fine recordings.

Bob

mr_snerdly said:
Do a search, I remember seeing some threads talking about burning DVDs with a 942 and several DVD standalone recorders.
I believe you can hook up either your component out to a few DVD recorders and s-video (not sure if 942 has it) or composite to most of them and burn a dvd.

= J =

i know someone that burns off a replay to a standalone dvd burner all the time. works great for him. i'm sure it's quite simple... like hooking up a vcr i'd imagine.

Why capture video when it's already been captued? Why not take the HD out and install it on your PC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)