Burried my coax cables and lost signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwoyame28

Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I was told by the Directv installer that I could burry my cables even if they weren't direct bury cables and they would be fine. I burried them last weekend and everything worked, but this week we got a lot of rain and now I don't recieve a signal. Am I screwed? (300' of trenching)

The satellite cable is carring 18 volts of DC current, if water gets into the cable corrosion sets in and you lose the signal. If you bury a splice or nick the jacket on the cable it provides a place for water ingress. You comment about losing signal after a rain suggests you will need to bury a new cable.

boba said:
The satellite cable is carring 18 volts of DC current, if water gets into the cable corrosion sets in and you lose the signal. If you bury a splice or nick the jacket on the cable it provides a place for water ingress. You comment about losing signal after a rain suggests you will need to bury a new cable.

Yes, and it should be "Flooded" Burial Cable, which has a gooey substance designed to prevent waten ingress even if the jacket has pinholes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts