Bus-powered EHDs that work

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If you use a bus powered EHD you will go blind. Oh wait, that's something else......
? I must admit I have seen many posts where a bus powered EHD worked, and not many or any posts where it ruined anything. Next time I see a really good deal on one that works for others I'll try it.

I bought a Western Digital My Passport 500GB bus-powered disk (Walmart closout $26.83 ;)) model number WDBKXH5000ABK-01 that has been working for nearly a week on my 612. I moved about 20 hrs of programs onto it, played some of them back from it, and moved them back to the receiver. Zero issues.

Earlier I had cobbled together a Crucial 250GB SSD with an external case and that also worked.
I would think that an SSD would have no problem ever but the problem w/a standard HDD is the fact you have to power a motor that will need a power "kick" some of the time to keep the speed up.

I would think that an SSD would have no problem ever but the problem w/a standard HDD is the fact you have to power a motor that will need a power "kick" some of the time to keep the speed up.
The power consumption of some SSDs isn't a whole lot better than that of conventional Winchester drives. The problem with SSDs is that if you don't have the OS support to work with them, they don't last as long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)