Buy DISH receiver to use only with shows on DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pjw1967

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
I have a lot of shows on EHD's. Can I buy a receiver, register it with DISH, enable it for EHD, and then disconnect it and use it only to view the shows on the EHD's? If, so, there are lots of receivers for sale on eBay. Which would best serve this purpose? Thank you

Thanks. When the signal goes away in a heavy rain, the pop up says you can watch something on the DVR. Is that not same as being disconnected?

I have a lot of shows on EHD's. Can I buy a receiver, register it with DISH, enable it for EHD, and then disconnect it and use it only to view the shows on the EHD's? If, so, there are lots of receivers for sale on eBay. Which would best serve this purpose? Thank you
To be clear, are you talking about activating the purchased receiver on the same account you had when you recorded the shows to the EHD's, and then disconnecting the receiver from the satellite signal to make it portable? If so, then that should work, at least for awhile before it loses the authorization. It is a good idea to reconnect the receiver to the satellite signal on a regular basis to make sure it keeps the authorization for the DVR functionality.

Which type of receiver was used for recording the shows? Some people have had trouble trying to use a Wally to view shows that were recorded with a ViP211, so it is best to stick with the same type of receiver: ViP211 series to view recordings made by ViP211 receivers, and Wally to view recordings made with Wally. If the recordings were made by a DVR with an internal hard drive, and then transferred to EHD, then neither the ViP211 or Wally will work. You would need a DVR receiver such as the Hopper Duo (or any other Hopper or ViP DVR) to watch them. Alternatively, you could transfer the recordings that you want to watch from the EHD to the internal hard drive of the DVR, and just take the DVR with you.

To be clear, are you talking about activating the purchased receiver on the same account you had when you recorded the shows to the EHD's, and then disconnecting the receiver from the satellite signal to make it portable? If so, then that should work, at least for awhile before it loses the authorization. It is a good idea to reconnect the receiver to the satellite signal on a regular basis to make sure it keeps the authorization for the DVR functionality.

Which type of receiver was used for recording the shows? Some people have had trouble trying to use a Wally to view shows that were recorded with a ViP211, so it is best to stick with the same type of receiver: ViP211 series to view recordings made by ViP211 receivers, and Wally to view recordings made with Wally. If the recordings were made by a DVR with an internal hard drive, and then transferred to EHD, then neither the ViP211 or Wally will work. You would need a DVR receiver such as the Hopper Duo (or any other Hopper or ViP DVR) to watch them. Alternatively, you could transfer the recordings that you want to watch from the EHD to the internal hard drive of the DVR, and just take the DVR with you.
Thank you. I have been a DISH customer for 20+ years, and I have EHD's that were recorded with earlier models like a 722. I currently have Hopper with Sling for 5 years. It never occurred to me that the older EHD's might not play. I will have to hook the old ones up to see it they work. I'll report back!!

Thank you. I have been a DISH customer for 20+ years, and I have EHD's that were recorded with earlier models like a 722. I currently have Hopper with Sling for 5 years. It never occurred to me that the older EHD's might not play. I will have to hook the old ones up to see it they work. I'll report back!!
Since the recordings were made by a DVR with an internal hard drive, and then transferred to EHD, there should not be any issue with compatibility. The possible incompatibility issue I mentioned earlier was with receivers that require an external hard drive to act as DVR's at all. So, you are safe there.

The issue comes with which models of DVR that Dish will actually allow you to activate on an account with a Hopper With Sling. You would not be allowed to add a Hopper Duo, a ViP DVR, or a Hopper 3 to the same account as your existing Hopper, so your only options for a compatible purchased receiver would be either an original Hopper or another Hopper With Sling. I hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)