Buying a 522 from Ebay and then asking disk to install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gandalfthewhite

Original poster
May 10, 2005
Hi,

I am an existing dish customer and have been trying to figure out what to do to get two receivers for two rooms. I called up dish and they are willing to lease two 510 receivers to me for $198 each and then $5 lease fee. I asked for a 522 receiver and they said that I should ask a local retailer (they are selling them for $350 or $400)

I then checked on Ebay and the 522 is available for $200 or so. I asked Dish if they would come over and install the box (with the extra wiring etc for the 2 rooms). They said that they would do this for $99.

My question is: is this the best option for me? Also, should I call up and check with Dish for this $99 fee again. How is it that they are willing to install the wiring for this fee whereas they are charging me $198*2 = $396 in the other case (they are not selling the receivers in either case).

Am I missing something obvious? I apologize if this question is a faq but I could not find any answer for this.
Thanks.

I've bought quite a few 522s on eBay and resold them to customers with home theater systems in high end installs. Just make sure that you get the ones stated as New in the Box form a seller who has a high feedback score, pay with PayPal and fund it with a credit.

As soon as you get it, call dish and verify that it is free for activation. Or better yet, e-mail the seller and ask for the CAID and S numbers.

If you are handy, you can do a better job than any Dish company installer.

Talk to another CSR it sounds like you were offered an upgrade under the Dishin it up promotion it would have been a one time fee probably $198 plus a lease fee of $5/Mo. per receiver. They may not have explained it clearly.

mudder1310 said:
Watch it pal. Some of us take pride in our work.
Maybe you do, Bub!

But, many don't. Almost all of my work originates from bad or insufficient so called "free basic fulfillment installs."

Then you have ex-installers like me who got squeezed out because I took too much time getting my installs done and couldn't competently complete 4 installs a day without staying out till 10pm.

But out of the 100 or so installs I've done I've had maybe had 4 callbacks.

Companies are all about the money. Thats what its all about. Get as many done as fast as you can. They reward for doing more in less time. Some even make you do an x amount per day for an x amount of money or your gone for little pay (try $7 an hour for 10 hours to do two SuperDish installs and a SuperDish upgrade for a total of $70).

Holy trash. I'd leave so fast if I only got $70 for a days work. I can finish 4 new connects in ten hours, but they can't all be 4 tuners. But MAN would that be my DREAM DAY or WHAT!! Four, four tuner installs in one day... That's easily 12 hours of work (if the customer's don't mind me working till 9 or 10 at night). And... over $600. :eek: Anyone know where I can consistantly get that kind of work??? :yes

bcshields said:
Then you have ex-installers like me who got squeezed out because I took too much time getting my installs done and couldn't competently complete 4 installs a day without staying out till 10pm.

But out of the 100 or so installs I've done I've had maybe had 4 callbacks.

My situation exactly!

I don't know haow these hacks can do four good installs a day. I guess it is true that ignorance is bliss. There are more and more young people entering the business, who have no clue what a good install is. They do four a day six days a week and burn out quick. That's why I switched to the high end custom installs. Many of my jobs are to correct those hack installs.