buying a house...dish service question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
So my wife and I are looking at a house in the village near us. It's close to our current house, but the plan is to buy the house, move my 2 boys into it so it's not vacant, prep our current house for sale and then sell the current one and move to the new one. We'll own 2 houses for several months (yay!..... not)

So my question is about the dish service. I currently have a 622 and then in the bedroom I have a 508PVR. My GUESS is that if I move the 508 over to the new house, it will nag about the phone line at some point. If they connect it, boom! different phone number.

Should I set up a new service at the new house, take advantage of whatever deals they have and then cancel at the current house when we're ready to move?

I think I'd have to pay them to cancel because my commitment isn't up at the current house. I *could* just set up the boys with OTA at the new house and tell them that's the way it is for a few months. I'm not sure they'd really care.

How would you do this? I have the 2 receivers, AT250 DVR Advantage, HD Ultimate, HBO AND Cinemax. I'm probably going to keep the same programming as there are still channels I watch that I'd lose if I go to HD-only.

thoughts?

The 508PVR will not nag about no phone connection. I would move the 508PVR
now for the boys and set up the 622 when you move.

I'm assuming the new house already has a dish set up and any necessary
switches.

Mark

except that it is illegal to use the same account in 2 different house holds... (even if technically you are the owner of both).

The new house has nothing. I'd have to install the dish(es) myself and run cable. I did my original dish install many years ago, so I know what's involved as far as sighting and mounting the dishes and I've run far more cable than I care to think about in my house and others.

The new house will need network wiring anyways... so may as well run the RG6 while I'm at it. The house was owned by a women in her mid eighties and is a brick ranch built in 1960. So I'll be doing electrical wiring as well I think. There's not a 3-prong outlet in the house anywhere.

Anyways.... don't want to go off into the weeds here... I'll be pulling wire anyways so I may just run my own cable. If I don't do it myself, then I have a guy in mind to do it. He does a much neater job than the "default" dish installers here and is an "official" dish network dealer (may not have the terminology right there, but he is a legitimate dish installer) To use him I'd have to start a new account I think. I'm sure I can escape from the default installers just by changing houses and I'm really not happy with their cable runs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts