buying a new tv

dlts4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Kalispell,MT
we just sold our home and along with it the older projection toshiba 57 in.we had in it.
So we need a new tv. which technology should we go for 1080p or the 4k. we tend to keep tvs for a long while, and want to be informed before making the purchase. probably get anywhere from 50in to 55in again.

I would say 4k is still a bit early in the product cycle to buy one expecting it to stay up to date. This time next year I expect them to have the HDMI/HDCP issues all worked out with the release of BD 4k. I would consider an inexpensive 1080p one to hold you over until 4k solidifies.

I got a Samsung HU8550 4K UltraHD from my wife for Christmas over the weekend... (yeah... its not Christmas for another month) and it supports HDMI 2.0 and all the new copy protection schemes. It also has support for the One Box, just incase something new comes out I can get that box and have it supported on my TV.

I am skeptical. I have gone through generation after generation of new technologies. Manufacturers always provide some sort of plug for future technology expansion. 2 times out of three they don't end up supporting it. The other time, the upgrade box is so expensive that it is better to move the old set into the bedroom and just buy the one that works.

Early adopters always take a risk and generally lose in the long run. But they are the first on the block with the new cool stuff.

Thanks. so if im understanding things right, waching regular dish tv shows on a 4k wouldnt be much different than watching a 1080p.(at this time) watching a bluray,you would you notice a difference?

Dish isn't offering any 4K content currently, so any difference you would see would wholly depend on the upscaler found in the 4K TV you buy.

Thanks. so if im understanding things right, waching regular dish tv shows on a 4k wouldnt be much different than watching a 1080p.(at this time) watching a bluray,you would you notice a difference?

Blu-ray is 1080p at this time. So, a 1080p TV will show the full Blu-ray spec at this time. Quite frankly 4k display devices are simply guessing what the content would look like when upscaling to 4k. True 4k content is limited (i.e. Netflix), and then it is really handicapped by the old color specification.

A new Blu-ray standard for 4k/UHD is coming out next year. This new standard also includes a new color space that the current HDMI chip sets do not support. The current HDMI 2.0 sets are really "2.0 lite" since they do not support the 18 Gbit/sec specification. The chip sets in use now maxes at 10 gbit/sec. New chip sets that support the full 18 gbit/sec spec were just announce and should be in widespread use next year.

Of course the current chip sets support color that is as good as the current Blu-ray spec, it is unknown if any of the current display devices support the new color spec, or could be upgraded to it. The REC 2020 color space is a fairly new thing (published 2012), and encoders have just been updated to support it.

My point being that the upgrade may not get the older models up to the latest standards as was promised.

Doubt it will since these are 8 bit panels (I believe) and most of the really good things such as HDR and wider color spectrum will need 10 bit.
That being said the 8550 (I have one) are great tvs. I really think we are still several years away from both hardware and material that will seem a very big upgrade from current hd and blu ray.

I have to admit some of the prices on 4K were tempting. If it wasn't for my plans to move within the next six or so months, I might have pulled the trigger. As it is, once I move my current set will go into the bedroom and I'll buy a new (likely 4K) TV based on what the new space can accommodate. Or at least that's what I told myself when deciding not to jump on any of the current deals.

I want to thank you all for the info. We have a lot to think over. We are building a new home,so we have 5 months to think about the big set,and for now,maybe get a 1080 to get us by till then and put it in bedroom later.

I'm looking for a smaller 40-42 Inch - I see a TCL on Amazon with lots of good reviews, though I have never heard of the brand. Supposedly TCL makes a lot of components that get integrated into other brands of TVs. Just looking for a 720p as it will not get used that much.

Settling for 720P will often get you some awfully outdated technology from the panel standpoint (though not always). Most panel makers haven't manufactured them for quite a while now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts