buying digital copies of movies

voodooevil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
North Carolina, USA
hI, WITH 4K BEING THE THING, and buying digital, would DISH ever have an option to buy digital movies?
I would trust buying movies and build a collection with dish. I dont exactly trust other services.
any thoughts?
thanks Joe

I really don't think that will happen. Dish doesn't want to sell you content, they want you you to rent it. The DVR is the closest to owning content you will get. But even that content is seriously limited and will go away with the Dish subscription.

Dish won't, they distribute a broadcast signal, not sell programs. You are right to fear digital services ending and leaving you with nothing, excluding Amazon, which seems a safer bet.

The only guarantee is buying 4K blu-rays and ripping them or going the UV route and linking UV to whatever online services. Of course, if you rip blu-rays you'll need to establish a seriously large bank of hard drives to pull that off.

hI, WITH 4K BEING THE THING, and buying digital, would DISH ever have an option to buy digital movies?
I would trust buying movies and build a collection with dish. I dont exactly trust other services.
any thoughts?
thanks Joe

What is wrong using Ultra Violet, Comcast sells digital movies, but to be able to view them I would always have to be a customer of theirs and use their box, no thanks.

With UV, I can watch my movies on VUDU, ( I only use Vudu, most everything is in 1080P and they now have new movies in 4K also) MGO, FLIXSTER, CINEMANOW and on different devices, the biggest plus is I can share my UV movies with 5 other different accounts, so when I buy a movie it shows up in theirs, when they buy the movie gets added to my account, keeps my expenses down so I only spend about $15-20 a month and get on average 4-5 new movies a month.

Last edited:
You might be able to record them on a PC but the DRM is becoming so pervasive, that may not be able to be done these days. I know my PC software (Avermedia) will not let me record an HD movie from the HDMI interface but I can get them if I use component inputs. The studios have little interest in selling digital copies and the streams have DRM embedded in them. You can't even stream an HD movie to a device that doesn't honor DRM from Amazon. If you can live with SD, you seem to be able to copy just about anything.

I started purchasing all my movies through internet stores that sell just the digital copy code (Ultraviolet/Disney Movie Anywhere). I can then watch the movie using Vudu. Much cheaper than buying the disc at a retailer. I don't see any reason for Dish to provide this service. However a Vudu or Amazon app would be a very welcomed addition to the Hopper 3.

Give Vudu a try, I'm sure it will fill the requirement you are looking for. Also the Vudu Disc to Digital feature is good perk that Vudu provides to convert your library to the cloud.

My fear isn't about them ripping me off, it is if they stop the service.
While that is a possibility of any internet based service, with these two in particular it is highly unlikely. Vudu is owned by Wal-Mart, so it has heavy backing, and Amazon is...well, amazon. I do not see either of these going anywhere, and should give owners access to their content at least for a time period on par with any physical media technology lifespan, if not longer.

What is wrong using Ultra Violet, Comcast sells digital movies, but to be able to view them I would always have to be a customer of theirs and use their box, no thanks.

With UV, I can watch my movies on VUDU, ( I only use Vudu, most everything is in 1080P and they now have new movies in 4K also) MGO, FLIXSTER, CINEMANOW and on different devices, the biggest plus is I can share my UV movies with 5 other different accounts, so when I buy a movie it shows up in theirs, when they buy the movie gets added to my account, keeps my expenses down so I only spend about $15-20 a month and get on average 4-5 new movies a month.

Vudu is has been my choice also, very compliant with my Android devices because it will save to the SD card. Very easy to keep my UV movies there and as you say very good PQ.

Ultraviolet is owned by time Warner. It isn't going anywhere soon. I believe if flixster r vudu goes out of business you still have your UV copy through the studio sites since you have to link your UV account to those accounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)