buying dish reciever off ebay

toddspolaris

Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Lima Oh
have dish network setup at my cabin in northern MI. I take my box back and forth and it works fine I just don't get my local stations. My question is I built a garage and want to have tv out there also and Im going to run a cable off my current box out there but wont have HD. So can I purchase a box off ebay and run another cable off my dish out there so that way we can watch different stations and have HD out in the garage. Sorry Im behind times on this stuff. Thanks Todd

Basically - YES. The details can potentially get a little more complicated based on what Dish, the other receivers, how long the run is, etc.

Also note:
Even if you buy the receiver Dish will still charge the same monthly fee to keep it activated. The only advantage to purchasing is to avoid a new term commitment and also the ability to activate/deactivate the receiver at will.

All my answers assume you do not have a Hopper system.

1. If you buy a receiver make sure it has not been discontinued from being activated, many older ones no longer will be allowed by DISH. In addition make sure it has no balance due on it, or you will have to pay that before activating. Finally make sure it isn't stolen. That can call be accomplished by contacting a DIRT member here and they will check for you.

2. Getting an additional receiver from DISH does not necessarily mean you have to sign a new contract, if you don't want to buy one. Again check with a DIRT member here to let you know based on your account. As mentioned by JM42 one advantage to buying the receiver is you can have it turned off or on anytime. If you get one from DISH if you have it turned off it has to be returned. If you plan on the receiver being used just as it is in the house and not seasonally I would see about getting one from DISH because the cost to you for monthly service is the same either way.

3. No one here can tell you if you can run another line off your DISH till exactly what equipment you now have is known. In the end if you plan on using the garage receiver often, if you can't make it another outlet easily it may be worth having a new DISH installed or equipment added as needed with the outlet in the Garage.
Much depends on how far away we are talking the garage is from the DISH, where the cable would be run etc....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)