Buying HD Receiver Off eBay - Lease Free?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
[The only benefit I could see is you can modify DVR to have a bigger hard drive for more recording time without worrying about "breaking the seal" and being in trouble.

Why would you need to break the seal when you can just add an external drive to expand your storage?

a few have claimed being able to do this. last i heard if you disconnect the D service you loose the dvr functions. if i'm wrong someone else will correct me.

I used to be able bring my DVR to another location to watch a recorded program with connecting to the D* sat cables. When I tried last month it just would not work until it was connected. I guess they really upped the security/DRM for some reason.

Buying HD Receiver Off eBay-Lease Free?

And you really don't save anything monthly by owning your equipment so to me it's not worth it.

The real advantage of activating "owned" equipment (for me, at least) is that you don't incur a new 2 year contract obligation.

Others may feel differently.

I guess it does, for some, come down to the contract commitment. For me it makes no difference. It's not that I'm a loyal, never say never, DirecTV customer. I've been with them for ten years in two different states. Why? Cable in the first state was just junk, unwatchable because of the state of the system. Cable in the second state was supposedly better but TWC wouldn't come out and do a service survey so I stayed with DirecTV. Today I get a great HD picture on three sets and I have Sunday Ticket, a sole DirecTV product right now. I have no plans to move ever again so the commitment is nothing. I understand other folks move frequently or their financial situation changes or whatever but none of those fit me so paying more for equipment just to own it so I don't have a two year commitment makes no sense. Satellite or cable or FiOS or OTA TV is not a tube sock, one size does not fit all.

I used to be able bring my DVR to another location to watch a recorded program with connecting to the D* sat cables. When I tried last month it just would not work until it was connected. I guess they really upped the security/DRM for some reason.

In that vein... there are TONS of D* h10-250s on ebay. The interesting thing to me would be the ability to use the TIVO with OTA signals. I guess I would still have to call them and get a new card for it even if I'm not using the D* signals? Any help?Thanks:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)