Buying Receiver Fees?

ju421019

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
I might have raised this question like years ago, but am hoping things have changed.

If I buy a 622 receiver to replace my 322 that I am leasing:

1. Will I still pay the $5 additional receiver fee?

2. Will I pay the $5.95 DVR fee?

Thanks

I might have raised this question like years ago, but am hoping things have changed.

If I buy a 622 receiver to replace my 322 that I am leasing:

1. Will I still pay the $5 additional receiver fee?

2. Will I pay the $5.95 DVR fee?

Thanks

1. If it will be your only receiver, NO.
2. YES, if you don't have DVR advantage. NO if you do. Locals also included.

I was referring to if I add another receiver.

Right now I have a 622 and 322

if I replace the 322 with a 622 -- with a receiver i buy from my pocket -- what charges do i incur?

I was referring to if I add another receiver.

Right now I have a 622 and 322

if I replace the 322 with a 622 -- with a receiver i buy from my pocket -- what charges do i incur?

if you are indeed replacing the 322 with the 622 then all you will have is another dvr fee unless you are paying for the AEP programming. (No DVR fees)

my purpose of buying my own receiver was to avoid a contract with dish and fees - but with dishnitup -

so if i replace the 322 with 622 -- i will have two 622's -- but then i have to pay Additional Receiver Fee $5? Or that just gets waived and I pay DVR fee

Why would you buy? Okay ... so you don't want the 2 year commitment ... so you spend $400 on a receiver. If you are going to spend that much money on a receiver, are you not really committing yourself to 2 years anyway? So then why not spend the $100 on the lease fee, cheaper for other receivers, and take the 2 years and then save $300 in the process that you could spend on programming?

Am I missing something :confused:

Why would you buy? Okay ... so you don't want the 2 year commitment ... so you spend $400 on a receiver. If you are going to spend that much money on a receiver, are you not really committing yourself to 2 years anyway? So then why not spend the $100 on the lease fee, cheaper for other receivers, and take the 2 years and then save $300 in the process that you could spend on programming?

Am I missing something :confused:

:up:up Homework!!!

my purpose of buying my own receiver was to avoid a contract with dish and fees - but with dishnitup -
You may be able to avoid the programming commitment by buying but you'll end up losing most of the investment if you leave and have to sell the HD DVR.
so if i replace the 322 with 622 -- i will have two 622's -- but then i have to pay Additional Receiver Fee $5? Or that just gets waived and I pay DVR fee
You will have a $7 additional receiver fee (versus a $7.00 lease fee) and without AEP, you'll also have an additional $5.98 DVR fee (either way).

The bottom line is that you would have spent $400 to avoid a programming commitment. Most of the online sites now offer the ViP722 (80% greater recording capacity) instead and at least one that I surveyed offers the ViP722 for $399.

He will only have the DVR fee for the 622, nothing else. Since he already had the 322 on his account then he is already paying the additional receiver fee. Since the 622 is replacing it but is a DVR then just the DVR is added to the current bill.

Brand new 722's are going for $300 on Ebay. I bought one myself, and it has been perfect. Even came with the new G3 embedded. If he really wants another 622, that will surely be less since it will be used.

He will only have the DVR fee for the 622, nothing else. Since he already had the 322 on his account then he is already paying the additional receiver fee. Since the 622 is replacing it but is a DVR then just the DVR is added to the current bill.

Like harshness stated, the additional receiver fee for the 622/722 is $7, not the $5 he is currently paying on the 322. If I remember right, my owned 622 was first listed on my account as a lease but I corrected DISH and they then said, OK, it's now an HD access fee of $7. They'll cram you for the fee, that is that. The advantage to owning is only when you want more receivers on your account than they will allow on your account presumably for Dish to fight against account stacking. Had I known there would be unmentioned fees(I knew the DVR fee), I would not have bought mine. Live and learn to do the homework but I didn't know about this site 28 months ago.

Acer

So they raised the fee on an additional HD receiver to $7 instead of $5? I was not aware of this but what a bunch of crap. Dish network truly is the "pig" now, way worse than cable.

So what I am getting out of this then is that if you have maxed out on your "leased" tuner count with Dish, then at that time you can purchase your own an add it to your account to get more.

Leased or owned, Dish is going to ding you the same fees, the fees might be named a little different, but the end dollar amount is going to be the same.

I suppose the other advantage with purchasing as noted above is that if you do cancel your service, you will not be dinged with an early cancellation fee. However, you will have the cost of your receiver, so if you can resell your receiver for more than what the cancellation fee might have been, you would come out ahead ... otherwise ... you would still be in the red. But then you have the hassle of trying to unload the thing ...

Again though, if one is going to invest that much money in a receiver, I see such an individual not easily switching or leaving anyway. To spend that much money I would think one would be of the mindset that they have chosen their provider and this is who they plan on being with for a good number of years.

If you only have one or two or even three receivers, it makes more sense to me to just lease and use the extra money for programming or ... whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)