Buyout bid for Paramount

By the way, this is being talked about elsewhere with companies that own both Streaming and Channels ( Broadcast/cable), they have no choice as advertising is still way down and losing per sub fees, 5 million last year, already almost 1 million with just 3 providers reported in the first quarter.
I've said for a few years now that eventually the traditional linear channel/cable bundle business will collapse into DTC. It only makes sense. Why should these studios/network owners try to create content for two different pipelines, traditional and DTC? They should just take their linear channels and sell them DTC, MVPDs be damned. The DTC app's UI would prioritize on-demand but it could easily include a live linear guide too. All current season shows should be available on-demand as soon as they air on linear. And of course there would be a lot of current shows' past seasons, as well as completed shows and classic movies too, since the studio owns that stuff in their library catalog.

I think a couple of factors are pushing the studios toward this realization. One is the economic pinch you're pointing out, i.e. save money by producing one set of shows that run on both platforms. (And, let's be honest, they're already quite a ways down that road anyhow, e.g. CBS next-day on Paramount+, NBC next-day on Peacock, Discovery nets' shows same-day on Max.)

The other factor is that the cornerstone of the cable bundle -- live sports -- is about to be yanked out from its foundation. This fall we'll see the "Hulu Sports" joint venture including ESPN, Fox and WBD hit the market (to the dismay of certain MVPDs like Fubo, DirecTV, etc.) And fall '25 will see the advent of standalone ESPN as a DTC app. ESPN is *the* original killer app of the basic cable bundle. Once that thing goes DTC, it's every man for himself.

But, as I keep saying, if these traditional studios are smart, they'll seek to work together and re-create the core of the old bundle via a couple affordable DTC mini-bundles: a sports-free service to compete against Netflix and Disney+Hulu (with a starting price well under $20) and a sports-focused one to compete against ESPN (probably priced around $25-$30).

LOL, Paramount is now threatening to sh!tcan their CEO, Bob Bakish.

You know what this comes down to? Bakish is rumored to be against the Skydance deal. Which makes sense. His 2023 compensation alone included $15.5 million in stock and I'm sure it's non-voting Paramount stock, not the voting-class shares in Redstone's National Amusements. The Skydance deal is going to screw over all the Paramount stock holders like Bakish because they'll see their equity diluted by up to 50% with Skydance injecting billions into the company and taking a huge stake. And of course Bakish would be booted after the deal closes, with Skydance taking the reigns.

Looks like Sheri is dead-set on closing with Skydance. I hope Charter throws a wrench in her plans by low-balling Paramount on their carriage renewal deal coming up next week and triggering a blackout. That'll send Paramount shares into the crapper. Charter took Disney nets, including ESPN, dark for nearly a month as football season kicked off. The biggest thing CBS/Paramount+ has going sports-wise in May are some minor PGA Tour events. Although they do have season finales of all the CBS primetime shows next month, including the series finale of Young Sheldon. But I doubt that would be enough to make Charter blink in carriage negotiations. I'm sure they know all their customers could score a free first month of Paramount+ and just watch CBS shows there if CBS goes dark on Spectrum TV.

So it's Apollo trying to bring Sony to the table, not the other way around.
I did not realize that - thanks for clearing it up.

Also, I agree with most of the other takes folks have made on this thread. If Paramount sells, the only things that have value in the company are 1) CBS, 2) Paramount+, 3) the studio and back catalog, 4) Nickelodeon and MAYBE 5) Smithsonian. Everything else can be sold off or shut down.

We talk about Shari being emotionally invested in the Paramount sale, but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why Byron Allen is willing to pay so much for BET. The price premium definitely feels emotionally driven. I can't believe Paramount turned it down.

I think NashGuy comment about CMT is probably right too. Someone will loiter and try to grab the assets cheap at the Skydance firesale.

MVPDs can provide services. Like a consistent UI. Likedecent DVRing.
Do you mean like a guide that show the majority of content on that MVPD is reruns?

Reruns, instead of less and less new content every year, that you pay way close to/over, at least $120 a month for.

Or you could do what I do, get the majority of the same new content, streaming exclusives, movies, HBO, Showtime, all in 1080P/4k for less then $70 a month.

And watch when I want, like a DVR.

I did not realize that - thanks for clearing it up.

Also, I agree with most of the other takes folks have made on this thread. If Paramount sells, the only things that have value in the company are 1) CBS, 2) Paramount+, 3) the studio and back catalog, 4) Nickelodeon and MAYBE 5) Smithsonian. Everything else can be sold off or shut down.
More or less agree with your list, except replace "Paramount+" with "Showtime". Paramount+ lost another 1.66 billion-with-a-B bucks last year. Showtime, although perhaps a declining asset, has been profitable for decades (or at least was until it got dragged into the Paramount+ money hole). I see no reason why any new management would be able to turn Paramount+ into a strongly profitable streaming champ. The only rational options are to shoot it in the head (someone call Gov. Noem) or merge it with Peacock and/or Max and/or Hulu via a joint venture.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeD-C05
LOL, Paramount is now threatening to sh!tcan their CEO, Bob Bakish.

You know what this comes down to? Bakish is rumored to be against the Skydance deal. Which makes sense. His 2023 compensation alone included $15.5 million in stock and I'm sure it's non-voting Paramount stock, not the voting-class shares in Redstone's National Amusements. The Skydance deal is going to screw over all the Paramount stock holders like Bakish because they'll see their equity diluted by up to 50% with Skydance injecting billions into the company and taking a huge stake. And of course Bakish would be booted after the deal closes, with Skydance taking the reigns.

Looks like Sheri is dead-set on closing with Skydance. I hope Charter throws a wrench in her plans by low-balling Paramount on their carriage renewal deal coming up next week and triggering a blackout. That'll send Paramount shares into the crapper. Charter took Disney nets, including ESPN, dark for nearly a month as football season kicked off. The biggest thing CBS/Paramount+ has going sports-wise in May are some minor PGA Tour events. Although they do have season finales of all the CBS primetime shows next month, including the series finale of Young Sheldon. But I doubt that would be enough to make Charter blink in carriage negotiations. I'm sure they know all their customers could score a free first month of Paramount+ and just watch CBS shows there if CBS goes dark on Spectrum TV.
Welp, looks like Shari is shoving Bob out the window of the CEO suite this weekend:

She's not going to chance having a Skydance-merger-opponent like Bob at the helm for this week's Charter carriage negotiations, the outcome of which will heavily impact Paramount's valuation for the Skydance deal.

Here's a good write-up on the situation as it currently stands from the WSJ today:

A Media Heiress’s Bid to Sell Sets Off Mayhem Inside Paramount

...she held out hope that a big buyer—maybe a technology giant—would emerge to take the whole company off her hands...

This almost never happens. Tech companies are usually too smart to buy messes like existing media companies. This is why Apple never bought Disney despite everyone seemingly wanting it for some reason.

To this day, I still think it was the best overall Live TV streaming service, and as you said, I said as well, the naming was a misstep.

Sony Vue would have been less confusing to the average joe. Tying it to the playstation name made many (most) non gamers ignore it completely.

Of course the Network Walkman predated the iPod, but which do you remember?

This sale is clearly emotionally driven. I mean, totally fine, her family built the company, so it's up to her I guess. However, taking the $5B from Skydance seems like a bad deal all around vs the Apollo offer which was 5x that? I can't imagine I'm happy if I am a minority (outvoted) shareholder. It also looks like Skydance knows they're the only horse in this race so there's no point in bidding agains themselves.

Imagine being able to buy Paramount for $5B and then turn around and sell BET by itself for that. Paramount is truly worth billions more if they split it up.