Bye bye and Thanks, Dish!

Murph74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Well, it's been a lovely 5 year ride with Dish, but it's all over this week. Not intending sarcasm (Ok... Maybe a little, but not really a rant-- just sharing an experience!), but a there were a number of issues that led to my decision, and a number of things I will miss about Dish.

The simple programming changes were the start of the problem. Mainly referring to the Fox Sports debacle with NHL games. I hear it affected a few other markets, too, but in St. Louis, Dish Network -- a *proud* major sponsor of the St. Louis Blues and their home arena -- was the only provider to NOT carry the full slate of games from FSN this season. They cited a fee increase by FSN that no other provider balked at.

From there, I had (2) 722's crap out their hard drive within weeks of each other, only to be told that *I* needed to pay for the replacement costs on *THEIR* rented/leased receiver. That didn't go over very well with me.

I'd dropped my package down as low as I could in protest of the Hockey decision by Dish, hoping to pick it back up when it was resolved. Today I went to re-add FSN for baseball season, and was told I couldn't unless I upgraded my programming package overall and added the multisports tier-- a total of about $20 a month just to get FSN back. That, coupled with the $6 for locals, and no MLB TV, all left me disappointed and feeling nickle and dime'd to death.

So I made the call to Direct. They'll be here Thursday.

Charlie, thanks for the 5 years of service, the DVR innovations, the dual tuner receivers, the home distribution port, and a generally responsive customer service team when I finally complained enough.

In the end, I just don't feel we're a good fit for each other anymore. Please don't be sad-- it's not me, it's definitely you. But I believe you'll get over it, and some day you may even see the value of addressing current customer desires and needs to maintain their loyalty instead of just seeing who's next to bite on the 24 month commitment line-- you know, the one that gets all the bait for new customers only.

Maybe I'll look you up in two years! But somehow, I doubt you'll even recognize me.

Murph

very well put.

You decided to move to Directv for good reasons and not flame Dish. I remember the whole St Louis Blues debacle this year. I know Dallas was another one who lost out on alot of games

You'll enjoy Directv. I love the MLB Net and all my teams games in HD...guaranteed...not a "oh crap is it going to be in HD tonight?"

Welcome to the Good Guys side of sat tv. With Sports sky's the limit

Well, it's been a lovely 5 year ride with Dish, but it's all over this week. Not intending sarcasm (Ok... Maybe a little, but not really a rant-- just sharing an experience!), but a there were a number of issues that led to my decision, and a number of things I will miss about Dish.

The simple programming changes were the start of the problem. Mainly referring to the Fox Sports debacle with NHL games. I hear it affected a few other markets, too, but in St. Louis, Dish Network -- a *proud* major sponsor of the St. Louis Blues and their home arena -- was the only provider to NOT carry the full slate of games from FSN this season. They cited a fee increase by FSN that no other provider balked at.

From there, I had (2) 722's crap out their hard drive within weeks of each other, only to be told that *I* needed to pay for the replacement costs on *THEIR* rented/leased receiver. That didn't go over very well with me.

I'd dropped my package down as low as I could in protest of the Hockey decision by Dish, hoping to pick it back up when it was resolved. Today I went to re-add FSN for baseball season, and was told I couldn't unless I upgraded my programming package overall and added the multisports tier-- a total of about $20 a month just to get FSN back. That, coupled with the $6 for locals, and no MLB TV, all left me disappointed and feeling nickle and dime'd to death.

Charlie, thanks for the 5 years of service, the DVR innovations, the dual tuner receivers, the home distribution port, and a generally responsive customer service team when I finally complained enough.

In the end, I just don't feel we're a good fit for each other anymore. Please don't be sad-- it's not me, it's definitely you. But I believe you'll get over it, and some day you may even see the value of addressing current customer desires and needs to maintain their loyalty instead of just seeing who's next to bite on the 24 month commitment line-- you know, the one that gets all the bait for new customers only.

Maybe I'll look you up in two years! But somehow, I doubt you'll even recognize me.

Murph
That's the way to do it. You switched providers for reasons that make sense to you. There are some things about Direct or cable that tempt me to move from Dish but for my needs and wants Dish serves me well. Still I it would be nice to...:)

Murph

I must say I enjoyed reading your post. You did not kill dish but explained perfectly why you were leaving.
This is a good lesson to all of us.

Well done!

I like posts like these, as when most people get upset they just leave, however with posts like this it helps the companies learn on why people are leaving and how they can do a better job in the future.

If one person canmake the future better for someone else, the time used to post it was worth it.

Thanks for posting!

Please post a follow up here after you get Direct. Perhaps after using it for a week, month, 6 months, so that we can see what your impressions are between the two services (I'm sure there will be things you miss as well as things you like better with Direct).

Each provider has their own advantages. Dish Network has better DVR hardware/software in my opinion. If Directv had the hardware/software like Dish had then I would have already switched a while back due to other issues I have had with Dish Network. Dish's effort to satisfy existing customers with promotions has helped. They have announced recently that customers are getting too good of deals though so they will see more churn when people see Directv's offers. I see a lot of people switch back and forth like they used to with phone companies.

Each provider has their own advantages. Dish Network has better DVR hardware/software in my opinion. If Directv had the hardware/software like Dish had then I would have already switched a while back due to other issues I have had with Dish Network. Dish's effort to satisfy existing customers with promotions has helped. They have announced recently that customers are getting too good of deals though so they will see more churn when people see Directv's offers. I see a lot of people switch back and forth like they used to with phone companies.

I used to feel the same way. I just switched to D* because of the lack of my promised locals from November, my RSN's in HD, and my second TV can now have HD without the 17.00 HD DVR fee. I got the HR24 and 2 H24,s. In my opinion this receiver is better than the 722. I have the new MRV and the receiver's are even faster than my 722. Only thing I like better about the 722 was the guide button changing between guides. But overall I am really happy and enjoying 6 local HD channels. Haven't noticed any major differences in HD but I only have a 42 inch television.

1st

I used to feel the same way. I just switched to D* because of the lack of my promised locals from November, my RSN's in HD, and my second TV can now have HD without the 17.00 HD DVR fee. I got the HR24 and 2 H24,s. In my opinion this receiver is better than the 722. I have the new MRV and the receiver's are even faster than my 722. Only thing I like better about the 722 was the guide button changing between guides. But overall I am really happy and enjoying 6 local HD channels. Haven't noticed any major differences in HD but I only have a 42 inch television.

You're the 1st person I've ever heard this from. No really you are. :D

glad you're enjoying the good side :)

Do you get 6 MLB teams with D* sports pack (Twins, Brewers, Cards, Royals, Chisox, Cubs) or are you too far east to get the 1st 4 I posted?

very well put.

You decided to move to Directv for good reasons and not flame Dish. I remember the whole St Louis Blues debacle this year. I know Dallas was another one who lost out on alot of games

Very well put indeed...
In my area with Satellite being the only real option for TV, you see a good bit of switching back and forth. The County north of us, Dish just announced that they are going to carry the locals, so many subs in that area who had to "move" to get locals will be happy, Direct doesn't carry those locals yet.

Just my feeling

yep in typical fashion the OP gives LEGIT reasons (not some crappy reasons like others do) and you go in and spew your same crap.

Not crap just my feeling. I didn't spew just stated what I felt. I didn't say he didn't have his reasons. If anything E* needs to get it's stuff together and let people know that they are the leader in non sports HD. That if you like movies along w/all the usual programming that they are the answer. If you like sports go to D* and pay for that. There is no smiley for tongue in cheek statements. I could've spewed crap about how awful he felt about them not carrying what he thought was the right programming but I didn't.

I think the issue is the OP lives in St Louis and Dish decided to short change him on his LOCAL sports. I can understand if he wanted MLB EI or Yes Network but when he can move to D* to get all of his LOCAL team games heck I would too

I wanted to make sure that my local team is in HD every game as they are on FSN North. With D* I can be sure of it...DIsh not so much ;)

I hope eventually that Directv makes improvements on their DVR's. Then I think they will get some more Dish Network customers. A friend of mine just got one and I was not impressed.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Nice to know people take the time to read your posts, even those who don't agree with me. :)

For the record, Whatchel1, I don't think I was nearly as disappointed about what Dish chose to provide as much as it was the bait & switch feeling of constantly seeing the alternate feed of FSN. So many ways they could have handled that better, but instead, I get MAV TV and The Fishing Network. I'm sure someone at Dish really *does* believe 'more is better', but I prefer to think of 'quality over quantity' in these situations.

And Stargazer, I think under the current model, to switch every 2 years is about the only way to get the best end-user 'value' in packages. Until the companies realize it's likely cheaper to their bottom line to KEEP customers than to develop new ones, the game continues.

I'll be sure to follow up and let you know how it goes on with Direct. I expect fairly well from what I'm seeing and hearing.

Murph

P.S. Oh, and one more thing it looks like I'll miss is my Cinemax for a penny a year. :)

You went for what you like

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Nice to know people take the time to read your posts, even those who don't agree with me. :)

For the record, Whatchel1, I don't think I was nearly as disappointed about what Dish chose to provide as much as it was the bait & switch feeling of constantly seeing the alternate feed of FSN. So many ways they could have handled that better, but instead, I get MAV TV and The Fishing Network. I'm sure someone at Dish really *does* believe 'more is better', but I prefer to think of 'quality over quantity' in these situations.

And Stargazer, I think under the current model, to switch every 2 years is about the only way to get the best end-user 'value' in packages. Until the companies realize it's likely cheaper to their bottom line to KEEP customers than to develop new ones, the game continues.

I'll be sure to follow up and let you know how it goes on with Direct. I expect fairly well from what I'm seeing and hearing.

Murph

P.S. Oh, and one more thing it looks like I'll miss is my Cinemax for a penny a year. :)

I think that you went to where it is best for you. You now have all those sports channels that you like. And now the max for a penny is gone anyway. So hope you get your fill of the sports you love. As for some around here this guy seemed to understand what I was saying and didn't take offense to it. Hope the equipment there comes out to be good for you. Let us know how things work out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)