Bye bye and Thanks, Dish!

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Iceberg do you even have an E* setup other than when you work on your Dad's?

nope :) Got smart and cancelled them and went with D* because I wanted to make sure I could see my local teams in HD and not have a crap shoot if they were in HD or not.

Also the MLB Net rocks, the nieces love sprout and I can get extra locals in HD with D* that E* doesnt :)

Time for Ice to relax and go play with his FTA setup
already am. Watching RTV right now :)

Last edited:

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
after you posted
boo hoo hoo bye bye E*. If that was right for you so be it. I don't care about sports but you do.

seems like no matter what someone says about why they're leaving Dish...

It seems to have been clarified above that you were confusing too different posters, but just in case there is any doubt, I should point out that:

- I have Dish primarily for sports (c.f. my various threads about soccer and basketball on Dish).

- I was merely pointing out that the OP could have gotten a better deal from a more knowledgeable CSR - and certainly it is true that one should be able to get the correct information from the first representative of any company.... but that is not how things work in the real world.

PS The thread should have been entitled: Bye Bye And Thanks For All The Dish

Last edited:

sundrop

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 27, 2010
Missouri
There has to be more to his story than what he bothered to share. Non-pay disco. Receivers not returned. Left while still under contract...
If you played by the rules when you leave, then you can come back under former customer DHA, really only difference between this and a new customer DHA is that you would be required to sign a two year commitment.

TBT: While thinking, it is possible. I had dish for 4 years. I had renewed contract for a new reciever. Cable offered to pay my cancelation fee. I accepted. However I had left with a $0 balance and returned all my equipment. If giving them free money is the reason I was not offered a new customer package...then all is well and I am where I belong. D*

*However none of this was said to me. Just that I was not considered a "new customer" after being away from E* for 3 years.

Murph74

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 24, 2005
Locals are included with every package, and you do not need Multisports to get your local RSN, which makes me think that - due to your local sports experience - you did not bother to call back and get a different customer service rep who maybe had a better offer.

Since you are so vague about your current package, it is hard to determine that.

@kstuart: Unless I'm missing something, nope. Even right now on the "My Account Page", it offers me St. Louis, Mo Locals for $5.99. I'm going to guess that America's Top 120, which is what I have, doesn't fall in your list of 'every package'. And I thought I was already being specific, not vague at all! But here's from my current bill shown online:

Monthly Charges
May 16 - Jun 15 HD DuoDVR Receiver 17.00
America's Top 120 34.99
DVR Service 6.00
HD & Platinum 10.00
$ 67.99

Then a $5 monthly credit from when I downgraded at the beginning of hockey season. making my monthly charges $62.99 currently.

And no, I certainly did not bother to call back... I shouldn't have to keep calling to 'find' a competent agent to simply add a channel. That's one of the most basic functions a CSR could do. ....But then I also used to think that speaking the same language as your customer was a basic function, too.

And not to get into a grammatical discussion, but I'm totally lost on why you would think the title of the thread should be any different. I was simply posting as an open letter to Dish Network, and addressing the company in a friendly, typically acceptable way. I believe the use of a vocative expression was completely accurate here. :)

Murph

Last edited:

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
And Stargazer, I think under the current model, to switch every 2 years is about the only way to get the best end-user 'value' in packages. Until the companies realize it's likely cheaper to their bottom line to KEEP customers than to develop new ones, the game continues.

I'll be sure to follow up and let you know how it goes on with Direct. I expect fairly well from what I'm seeing and hearing.

Murph

That is what a lot of people are doing, switching providers every two years to get the best deal. Dish offered some decent deals to existing subs like the free hbo/showtime free for three months, cinemax for a penny for a year and $10 off for 12 months along with equipment upgrade promotions which was enough for me to stick around longer along with the superior software / hardware in my opinion. Without the promotions in addition to the superior software / hardware and these price increases they recently had, it makes it more tempting for some to switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Islandguy43

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 24, 2006
Grand Island, NY
That is what a lot of people are doing, switching providers every two years to get the best deal. Dish offered some decent deals to existing subs like the free hbo/showtime free for three months, cinemax for a penny for a year and $10 off for 12 months along with equipment upgrade promotions which was enough for me to stick around longer along with the superior software / hardware in my opinion. Without the promotions in addition to the superior software / hardware and these price increases they recently had, it makes it more tempting for some to switch.

There are times no matter how many promotions or credits Dish offers you; it is not worth not switching. Like Iceberg said; sometimes you have to switch if you want certain programing.
I.E. baseball and the Twins for him; Buffalo Sabres MSG-HD Hockey and YES HD Baseball for me.

I don't want Skinamax for a penny or a 3 month promo for HBO or Showtime. I want my home teams in HD period. Dish's Management and their personal vendettas with certain providers are more important to them than long time subscribers (6 year sub including a beta tester for new products); so I go to a provider whom will provide the HD I want and if I get a deal on top of it; all the better.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Vendetta?

There are times no matter how many promotions or credits Dish offers you; it is not worth not switching. Like Iceberg said; sometimes you have to switch if you want certain programing.
I.E. baseball and the Twins for him; Buffalo Sabres MSG-HD Hockey and YES HD Baseball for me.

I don't want Skinamax for a penny or a 3 month promo for HBO or Showtime. I want my home teams in HD period. Dish's Management and their personal vendettas with certain providers are more important to them than long time subscribers (6 year sub including a beta tester for new products); so I go to a provider whom will provide the HD I want and if I get a deal on top of it; all the better.

I think you are confused to think the E* is suing ESPN as a vendetta. The suit is over the fact that E* was being charged more than other co's. As far as AMC that is still tied into the Voom debacle and they are suing E* over it not the other way around.

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
so true :)
Lots of folks think the same way me & you do

I think in general, Direct is always a better choice if you are passionate about a sport other than basketball. Dish is better choice for movies and other hd entertainment channels, although Direct is adding the ones they were missing.

Depends on what you like. There is no one provider suits all. Heck, if you love on demand, Comcast is great for that in my market. They have so many on demand channels, you almost don't even need a DVR.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
@kstuart: Unless I'm missing something, nope. Even right now on the "My Account Page", it offers me St. Louis, Mo Locals for $5.99. I'm going to guess that America's Top 120, which is what I have, doesn't fall in your list of 'every package'. And I thought I was already being specific, not vague at all! But here's from my current bill shown online:

Monthly Charges
May 16 - Jun 15 HD DuoDVR Receiver 17.00
America's Top 120 34.99
DVR Service 6.00
HD & Platinum 10.00
$ 67.99

Then a $5 monthly credit from when I downgraded at the beginning of hockey season. making my monthly charges $62.99 currently.
As of June 3rd (tomorrow), all packages include locals and HD for free.

Top 120 will be $39.99 and Top 120 with RSN will be $44.99, both include Locals and HD.

So, tomorrow, you would have had locals and RSN at the same price. Again, as I already stated, in an ideal world, one should not have to try 2 or 3 CSRs, but in the real world, it is what gets the best results. It is certainly not limited to Dish.

See thread in this Forum:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/213532-new-pricing-chart.html

And not to get into a grammatical discussion, but I'm totally lost on why you would think the title of the thread should be any different.

You are so totally missing out:

Amazon.com: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (9780345479969): Douglas Adams: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JY6818KJL.@@AMEPARAM@@51JY6818KJL

Islandguy43

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 24, 2006
Grand Island, NY
I think you are confused to think the E* is suing ESPN as a vendetta. The suit is over the fact that E* was being charged more than other co's. As far as AMC that is still tied into the Voom debacle and they are suing E* over it not the other way around.

I wasn't talking about ESPN at all. I was referring to Dish's constant fights with the Dolans ,Yes Network and MLB. Charlie makes you believe it is to save you money, but in reality he is only concerned with his own bottom line. I have a double play of internet and video with a hd dvr and another hd receiver, with over 85 hd channels, including the sports channels I want (MSG-HD, YES-HD, MLB.NET-HD, ESPNU-HD, ETC), for less than I was paying for just video services with Dish. So if these channels are so unreasonable and expensive to the provider, why can my provider give me what I want for less $$$ per month, than I was paying for and not getting with Dish??

loaf31

Aug 30, 2009
Pennsylvania
I also just switched from Dish to DTV for just about the same reasons. They are installing on Sat morning.

I did not have the hockey trouble with my Penguins, but even though FSN-P said that all Pirates games were in HD, there have been about 10 or so that were in SD with Dish.

The MLB Network-HD and ESPNU-HD were the main factors in switching. Also DTV has a way better soccer selection than Dish.

To each their own.

Murph74

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 24, 2005
Ok, so one cord is now cut. Just disco'd with Dish Network. Odd how they still try to nickle and dime you to death wanting me to pay to ship their equipment back. Oh well, kinda happy to be done with them, even with the new promotion they started today. (Murphy's Law is still functioning just fine!)

On the other side of the coin-- they don't want my VIP722 back with the corrupt hard drive. They claim *I* own it, even though I didn't "buy" it-- just paid the $99 upgrade fee when it came out. Anyone want a 722 with a corrupt hard drive? Make an offer! lol

Murph

temesgen

Jul 19, 2004
I canceled my service on Wednesday too. I really miss GolTV and the itemized fees got to be too much to justify any longer. When I explained that the fees were outrageous the CSR tried to convince me that saving 10 dollars for HD was a good deal - keep in mind Dish was charging me 10 for HD and another 10 for H platinum. Needless to say that didn't go over very well with me; 50 dollars of my monthly bill are fees. I just don't see the value in what Dish is doing anymore, we have 2 TVs with with 2 622's and we were paying ~$117/month the issue here is my favorite soccer channel is no-longer on Dish and over the past 4 years Dish has gotten carried away with fees. My buddy asked me how I could cancel going into the world cup and I said honestly after watching La Liga the past 2 years on JustinTV it doesn't matter anymore. For my perspective this isn't the company I loved 9 years ago when I first subscribed - they still have great technology but value isn't there relative to other options. I own one of the 622s outright good bye Dish and hello Craig's list (for the 622). I forgot I also have a 721 and a 501 to sell now too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts