Bye Bye Dish

smodak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
Well, I got tired of the bugs of 811 and tremendous rain fade problems wirh dish. Called E* and told them wanted to cancel. The CSR transferred me to retention and the new guy offered me a free month, a free 811 swap etc. I told him I already subscribed to Voom and is extremely happy with it so far. He was like Voom? What the h* is that? I told him that Voom offers lot more HD channels than you do and the box is much more stable than 811. He let me go. I am under no contract and I own my own equipment (I paid $399.00 for the 811 :( ), but he mentioned that dish may send me a pre-paid box and if they do I got to send them the old 301 receiver and the dish back. I did not understand what that was all about but I thought I will deal with that later if that happens. That was the end of it.
Sorry for the long post guys, but I had to share this with someone.

811's still go for between $200 and $300 on eBay. So, it's not a total loss. You can also sell your 301, dish, LNB, and any switches. (as long as you own your stuff, not lease.) You'll probably end up close to breaking even.

Let us know how Voom does for you, they seem to complain alot about their boxes too. I would think Voom would be worse for rain fade with their low satellite slot. I have only lost my dish signal once due to bad weather and it was during a storm where it got so dark outside the streetlights started coming on at 2 in the afternoon. I do get snow stuck to the dish a few times a year though, but it's right outside a window and easy to brush off. I aimed the dish myself and peaked it to 100+ signals, some installers just get you a signal and call it good. I have been thinking about Voom, but their lack of channels I like keeps me where I am. Also my 811 got fixed with the 266 update so I love it now. Keep us posted on your new system.

sprite1741 said:
Let us know how Voom does for you, they seem to complain alot about their boxes too. I would think Voom would be worse for rain fade with their low satellite slot. I have only lost my dish signal once due to bad weather and it was during a storm where it got so dark outside the streetlights started coming on at 2 in the afternoon. I do get snow stuck to the dish a few times a year though, but it's right outside a window and easy to brush off. I aimed the dish myself and peaked it to 100+ signals, some installers just get you a signal and call it good. I have been thinking about Voom, but their lack of channels I like keeps me where I am. Also my 811 got fixed with the 266 update so I love it now. Keep us posted on your new system.
I have had voom for just about a week now and I just love it. 811 is a joke compared to the voom box. The voom box is much more stable (no reboot required. no acquiring satellite signal, check switch etc. etc.) and locks into the OTA locals just like they are satellite channels (with fully integrated program guide). It has absolutely no darkness and other issues that lots of users are experiencingw with 811. I have heard horror stories about Voom installs but mine went super smooth. The SD quality is much better than dish and the HD quality is little worse. But I would trade that much of picture quality over the stability alone anyday. Had couple of big storms in the past week but no rain fade so far.

I would definitely be a Voomer until E* buys it :D

Just like some people have horror stories, so people have horror stories with Dish. I have an 811 and picture is not darker than my 311. I have had it 6 months and it has locked up twice. Dish says it is because I leave it on 24/7. I am a happy 811 owner. I hope that you have better luck with Voom, but some ppeople are never happy. Soon, we will see. :D

Pfffft

GaryPen said:
Conversely, some people are happy with whatever they're given.

Americans?!

Hah. That's a good one. We are the biggest bunch of whiners on the planet.

chewy said:
Sorry if you mis-understood my question for a whine.

Some peoples kids.
As far as I know, some audio receivers are still having problems with Dolby digital. I have a onkyo receiver (HTIB 767c), which never had audio problems with 811.

yep, dish sucks...

:down Well, as they say, "misery loves company"! I'm also an unhappy Dish 811 owner and it is interesting to see that EVERYBODY has the same problems as I do. I've called both Dish and the people who sold me the equipment and the reply is that i'm pretty much screwed because I'm committed to a whole year. I've seem the Voom ads and now they have it with no instalation fee, no year commitment and MORE regular and HD channels for the same price I'm paying now for Dish!! Oh well, if there was any way to get out of it now I would. But, I made sure I told both Dish and the people who sold it how unhappy I am with the system, that I will NEVER get it again once the contract is over and that I'm telling EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know to NOT get dish!! I sometimes wonder if it is worth breaking the contract and paying the extra $200 or so? Or I'll just wait 6 more months and try to sell this piece of c*&p since the system came for 'free' as part of the deal. I think for the next 6 months I'll also keep my eyes open to see how Voom is doing and make sure it doesn't have the same problems. One thing for sure is NO MORE year commitment with any of these satelite systems!!

Fgsilva said:
:
I've called both Dish and the people who sold me the equipment ......

........... I'll just wait 6 more months and try to sell this piece of c*&p since the system came for 'free' as part of the deal.
Did you buy it or was it part of a lease promo? You might want to double check..... If it came as 'free' you probably don't own it.

I have switched from Dishnetwork to Direct TV .

My HD Boxes and SD Direct TIvos have never ever had any problems, they never need rebooted, they even are on UPS.

100% up time, no issues. Dishnetwork has many issues.

When I switched I got a Sd Direct Tivo and 2 other standard recevers all for FREE. And I confirmed that I own every thing. I do have a 1 year contract.

Voom and DIsh are matching this offer at times.

PM me if you want the Coupon code (saves you $60 on Direct TV).

I also am very dissapointed with Dish. I have a 1 year contract and the day it expires if things do not improve I am gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts