Bye Bye Dish

enoree

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2005
My local coop phone Co. is running fiber down my road and the installers said it should be getting hooked up in the next week or so, as soon as my Dish contract is up, i will be pulling the plug and going streaming, for a lot less money, with no "total signal loss" messages anymore, and no QVC or garbage channels. I think that rural fiber will make satellite service obsolete in the next few years.

As noted above the cost of stream has gone up especially if you can't everything you may want from one service. Also check if your data has any caps, we used to have unlimited and then put a cap on it. It wasn't an issue but if we were streaming all of our content it would have been. I'm no dish fan boy but compared to other services I have had they are one of the better IMO all things considered.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
As noted above the cost of stream has gone up especially if you can't everything you may want from one service. Also check if your data has any caps, we used to have unlimited and then put a cap on it. It wasn't an issue but if we were streaming all of our content it would have been. I'm no dish fan boy but compared to other services I have had they are one of the better IMO all things considered.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Nobody does that

I havn,t had satelite since my ca. receiver got shut off. When I went to check into dish and direct tv, I decided I didn,t need thier services. I have many tv sets in my house and did not think I should have to pay for a box sub. for evert tv. So got a couple tablo players and hdhomerun and don,t need boxex at each tv, just roku sticks and amazon sticks. I do have a 3 gig limit from cable and the phone for $83.00 per month and get more tv than I can watch. I feel sorry for you dish guys losing your local programming over the dish disputes

Reactions: PasTypique
My local coop phone Co. is running fiber down my road and the installers said it should be getting hooked up in the next week or so, as soon as my Dish contract is up, i will be pulling the plug and going streaming, for a lot less money, with no "total signal loss" messages anymore, and no QVC or garbage channels. I think that rural fiber will make satellite service obsolete in the next few years.
Groovy!

I've never understood the need to post "I'm leaving xyz service". Nobody really cares. I've left Dish, WOW!, Comcast and WOW! again and have never created a thread about this.

I'm happy for you being able to get fiber though. I do like streaming, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Would love to know your definition of a "few years" for the true rural base fiber is a LONG WAY off.

I've never understood the need to post "I'm leaving xyz service". Nobody really cares. I've left Dish, WOW!, Comcast and WOW! again and have never created a thread about this.

I'm happy for you being able to get fiber though. I do like streaming, but it's certainly not for everyone.
Swan Song posts happen all over the internet. I never got them, either

Good for you. Great for you.

Are there data caps on the new fiber?

I interviewed and researched every streaming service when I left DISH after 17 years. I found fault with all of them in channel selection, and ended up back at cable. All the streamers were missing something critical to my viewing.

Good for you. Great for you.

Are there data caps on the new fiber?

I interviewed and researched every streaming service when I left DISH after 17 years. I found fault with all of them in channel selection, and ended up back at cable. All the streamers were missing something critical to my viewing.
it is a user owned coop, no data caps, 200mbs speed, I can get any movie on streaming services, my outside antenna gives me my locals with ALL of their sub channels, Discovery plus has about 90% of what i watch, i have a Firestick, free Apple TV for a year, my TV bill will go down by over $100 per month.

it is a user owned coop, no data caps, 200mbs speed, I can get any movie on streaming services, my outside antenna gives me my locals with ALL of their sub channels, Discovery plus has about 90% of what i watch, i have a Firestick, free Apple TV for a year, my TV bill will go down by over $100 per month.
Wow; that should be a great deal, especially if they don't block ports. That is how fast my service through Cox Business is. But that costs me $140/mo thanks to my running servers at home. I could get the same speeds through their residential arm for $100 less/mo. :(

And by the way, I get all my locals including subchannels too, since I get them through a $30 OTA dongle on my H3. If you go OTA only, you may or may not have them DVR'd and you may or may not be able to skip commercials, and you may or my not have an adequate guide that goes out 9 days. Just saying.

I get the good-by posts. Humans are wired to share their experiences and learn from one another. As for whether streaming can get you what you want to watch for less than Dish, it is kind of a moot point any more. Obviously, it varies by the individual, and you have to have decent broadband to support the streaming option.

At this point, anyone who can afford Dish, is very likely to have broadband internet if it is available, so you have to include the cost of internet service either way. At that point, it is just adding up what you pay for linear TV (plus any existing streaming services you have) vs. what it would cost to get the same thing via streaming.

For me, I pay $65/month for YTTV, which is about what it used to cost for the Welcome Pack, H3 and 2 Joeys, but I get way more channels, some of which I even occasionally watch. The other streaming services I have, I would have any way, like HBOmax, Prime Video, Netflix, & Disney+.

My monthly entertainment expenditure ends up being about the same as I would pay for the AT120 + hardware. Obviously, I had to purchase streaming hardware, but I had to do that prior to switching to watch Netflix, etc anyway, and it is a small, one-time (or very infrequent anyway) expense.

Of course, a lot of people like what they have, and there is nothing wrong with that. I still have a soft spot for Dish personally. I'd rather give Charlie my money than Google. If only Sling had a locals and a better DVR, I'd probably switch.

I havn,t had satelite since my ca. receiver got shut off. When I went to check into dish and direct tv, I decided I didn,t need thier services. I have many tv sets in my house and did not think I should have to pay for a box sub. for evert tv. So got a couple tablo players and hdhomerun and don,t need boxex at each tv, just roku sticks and amazon sticks. I do have a 3 gig limit from cable and the phone for $83.00 per month and get more tv than I can watch. I feel sorry for you dish guys losing your local programming over the dish disputes
I'm considering getting Tablo. I've discovered that the three Smart TVs I have in the house can all download the Tablo app so I just need the receiver/DVR. The expense of the box, though, seems steep. My other option is to see if I can get just locals from Dish (and nothing else). I have a lot of recordings that I will lose if I cancel altogether. Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)