Bye Bye Dish

I pay $43 per month for the Dish Welcome pack. I have a TiVo for locals. I pay Cox $83.99 per month for internet and have Amazon Prime ($120 per year) and UP thru Prime for $5.95 per month. My Dish is much cheaper than streaming.

My local coop phone Co. is running fiber down my road and the installers said it should be getting hooked up in the next week or so, as soon as my Dish contract is up, i will be pulling the plug and going streaming, for a lot less money, with no "total signal loss" messages anymore, and no QVC or garbage channels. I think that rural fiber will make satellite service obsolete in the next few years.
I’m doing the same with Directv . Will be streaming cable channels 60 for $20 a month with Philo TV and locals via outdoor antenna.

And by the way, I get all my locals including subchannels too, since I get them through a $30 OTA dongle on my H3. If you go OTA only, you may or may not have them DVR'd and you may or may not be able to skip commercials, and you may or my not have an adequate guide that goes out 9 days. Just saying.
With a Tablo you can do all that and more, guide is 2 weeks, commercial skip, DVR everything that is available to get OTA and the biggest is every TV in the House can pick up the Tablo as long as you have a streaming box hooked up to that TV, no more box fees.

it is a user owned coop, no data caps, 200mbs speed,
Mbps. Capitalization matters folks, because 200 mbps means... well it is slower than 1 baud where a baud is equal to something like a watt per cubic slug or something. m = milli or micro, M = mega. b = bit, B = byte.

/rant
I can get any movie on streaming services, my outside antenna gives me my locals with ALL of their sub channels, Discovery plus has about 90% of what i watch, i have a Firestick, free Apple TV for a year, my TV bill will go down by over $100 per month.
Gaining fiber provides many more options, which is great.

Reactions: pattykay
This streaming business is now getting out of hand. Too many broadcast groups starting new "plus" channels.

A particular streaming nuisance is that you can't switch channels quickly without waiting to choose a different service and then load/buffer (using ROKU here). With a sports package, you can't quickly flip between games. Picture in picture with another service is also a no go.

Having a Hopper 3 with Dish is a good experience overall. However, here in Hawaii Dish doesn't provide all channels that you get on the mainland. I've mentioned in another post that, for example, with NHL Center Ice we only get a rotating 7-9 channels this year - most with no games. We have to stream NHL.TV.com in order to see virtually everything this year.

If Dish can't get this resolved, I'll be exploring the cable alternative that we have on this island once my commitment runs out. Unfortunate since I switched from C band to Dish back in Oregon when Costco first started selling Echostar equipment in the mid 90's. I signed up with Dish here on Maui when we relocated back around 2000/2001 and have been fairly satisfied overall.

it is a user owned coop, no data caps, 200mbs speed, I can get any movie on streaming services, my outside antenna gives me my locals with ALL of their sub channels, Discovery plus has about 90% of what i watch, i have a Firestick, free Apple TV for a year, my TV bill will go down by over $100 per month.
Then you are set. I'm jealous.

Reactions: Jimbo
My local coop phone Co. is running fiber down my road and the installers said it should be getting hooked up in the next week or so, as soon as my Dish contract is up, i will be pulling the plug and going streaming, for a lot less money, with no "total signal loss" messages anymore, and no QVC or garbage channels. I think that rural fiber will make satellite service obsolete in the next few years.
:wave
i-think-i-7ace51c202.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
As noted above the cost of stream has gone up especially if you can't everything you may want from one service. Also check if your data has any caps, we used to have unlimited and then put a cap on it. It wasn't an issue but if we were streaming all of our content it would have been. I'm no dish fan boy but compared to other services I have had they are one of the better IMO all things considered.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
There are no service providers..you buy directly from the source

We will alert the media

I guess most of you that stream don't have Caps on your broadband?
Mine does, the standard 1.2tb, but even having been all streaming for 3 years now, we have only gone over a couple of times, and have never paid for it.

Reactions: HipKat
Dish has the most elegant offering and best DVR. If you can't afford it then good luck elsewhere
Dish does have a great DVR.

For many, it isnt about being able to afford it, or not. Personally, I just found a better value going streaming, with more content that we actually wanted to watch.

Not everyone will have the same reasons of course, and it isnt for everyone.

I'm considering getting Tablo. I've discovered that the three Smart TVs I have in the house can all download the Tablo app so I just need the receiver/DVR. The expense of the box, though, seems steep. My other option is to see if I can get just locals from Dish (and nothing else). I have a lot of recordings that I will lose if I cancel altogether. Oh well.
I have never had a Dish DVR because with on demand there is no need to record and streaming is the same deal, I could care less about the NFL,NBA,MLB etc.

Reactions: Jillian2
I have never had a Dish DVR because with on demand there is no need to record and streaming is the same deal, I could care less about the NFL,NBA,MLB etc.
I have a Dish DVR and stream and like having both. Both have positives and negatives. I especially like the skip forward/backward feature on the DVR. Granted most streamed programming is commercial free, but when not, you HAVE to watch the commercials. And the skip back feature for streaming is just clunky (to me), so much so that I rarely use it

Now my wife would be perfectly happy dropping Dish and stream only, but as long as I'm paying the bills, we will have both. lol

Not a sports fan here, either. Couldn't care less about the NFL, etc. I'm not even sure I'm going to watch the Super Bowl this year.

Reactions: Jimbo and dishdude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts