Bye bye to THIS TV???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Tribune Broadcasting has just acquired a 50% stake in THIS TV and will be handling the programming of the channel and moving operations to Chicago this fall.

Knowing how Antenna TV distribution is encrypted, I wonder if THIS TV will be going into that Tribune mux and also encrypting, thus adios'ing from FTA.

Looks like clearances won't be changing, so if you already have THIS TV in your area on a multicast channel, you should be fine to continue watching it with an off-air antenna.

I hope it stays FTA. Living in a rural farm area, my reception of digital TV is not very good, that is why I got into FTA satellite. One would think that the exposure to commercial avertisements on THIS TV would allow it to be non-encrypted, hence the advertiser gets more bang for their advertising dollar.

I hope it stays FTA. Living in a rural farm area, my reception of digital TV is not very good, that is why I got into FTA satellite. One would think that the exposure to commercial avertisements on THIS TV would allow it to be non-encrypted, hence the advertiser gets more bang for their advertising dollar.

I just wish they would look at it that way..:(

Here the only OTA sub channels, besides one [lousy] local wx channel, are CW and now, ME. ME replaced THIS about 6 months ago. Large cable co. in the area still ID's the channel as THIS on their system. (Doh!) TitanTV has it right.
Will suck if we loose it.(FTA)

If Tribune has it I can see maybe getting scrambled. But since they will own only 50% maybe there's hope. Maybe they'll only scramble it 50% of the time lol

Is This TV carried by any of the providers? dish ,cable, direct or shaw?
If so, then maybe pressure to encrypt...
if it goes, i will miss it :(

Is This TV carried by any of the providers? dish ,cable, direct or shaw?

ThisTV is a OTA only channel (mainly subchannel). Cable companies CAN carry it but only if its in the local market (on a local channel)
neither satellite companies carry it as a whole...there are stations that use it part time as filler on a CW or My Affiliate and satco's can carry that
subchannels usually arent carried on satellite unless its affiliated with the Big 4

Tribune Broadcasting has just acquired a 50% stake in THIS TV and will be handling the programming of the channel and moving operations to Chicago this fall.

Knowing how Antenna TV distribution is encrypted, I wonder if THIS TV will be going into that Tribune mux and also encrypting, thus adios'ing from FTA.

Looks like clearances won't be changing, so if you already have THIS TV in your area on a multicast channel, you should be fine to continue watching it with an off-air antenna.

It looks much better on satellite. I get it OTA, also, but the video quality is less than desireable.

Cox Cable in the metro New Orleans market carries ThisTV and MeTV.
And they are most likely a sub-channel of one, or more, of the locals. I don't think any cable outfit would outright, independently, carry it or any of the other 'sub channels'. But I could be wrong.

fta

fta is just about g o n e...admit it.i love fta,always have and i am still in to fta,but the love is fading because basically this is not the late 70's or 80's and everything has changed.I will keep my dish up and watch programming,but i don't expect any major changes.Keep looking and hoping.....Who KNOWS:rolleyes:

And they are most likely a sub-channel of one, or more, of the locals. I don't think any cable outfit would outright, independently, carry it or any of the other 'sub channels'. But I could be wrong.

Yes, they are subchannels, as is Antenna TV (which is also carried on cable).

LOL... Chicken Little!
if this is aimed at me.You know like i know,it is just about gone.You are still out to make money,and i can understand that and i wish you well,but you know it is not coming back....it's nothing else out there...if it is tell me....i have been in to fta for years...hello dish and direct

if this is aimed at me.You know like i know,it is just about gone.You are still out to make money,and i can understand that and i wish you well,but you know it is not coming back....it's nothing else out there...if it is tell me....i have been in to fta for years...hello dish and direct

Wow!

All I can say is this: If you can't find anything to watch with your fta satellite system, you NEED to pull it out and go to Dish or Direct. I don't know why you are being so pathetic, but you need to slap yourself awake right now. This whole thread is nothing but speculation, and NOBODY knows what's going to happen, until it does.

Yes, aimed directly at you...

If theft of service sales are a measurement of the health of FTA, then yes I agree that not much is out there for the eye patch crowd. Tons of free stuff to watch and FTA sales are the strongest in several years. You really don't know what is going on if you think that true FTA market is waning.

If you knew me, you would know that I don't BS and try to pass something that it is not. I don't push sales on anyone. I love satellite and am privileged to have a business in my hobby!

Don't let the FTA door hit your backside too hard as you run for Dish and DirecTV. ;)

- Brian

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts