Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
noticed this last night that the BYUGlobal feed on 89W switched to DVB-S2 now

89W
H
FEC shows 4/5

2 stations...same thing on both except 2nd channel is AAC audio (but no audio comes out0 and has a huge "ASL" in the right corner

Thanks for the info.

who knows really. This is the BYUTV Global feed which I have yet to find any coordinates listed for. Just a "watch us online" option

Think it's for Mitt when he's out campaigning? :)
doubt it. you can watch BYU TV on a much smaller dish that can track the sats while the vehicle is in motion so it'd make more sense to put that directv capable dish on the bus than a large 90cm+ dish. It's probably a placeholder while that particular uplinker in Salt Lake City looks to book some regular business tv clients.

noticed this last night that the BYUGlobal feed on 89W switched to DVB-S2 now
a temporary test for a future change or someone having problems tuning the DVB-S2 signal? It's back to DVB-S right as I type this.

Complaints department may have been busy. Likely a good opportunity for our sponsors to market some products..

a temporary test for a future change or someone having problems tuning the DVB-S2 signal? It's back to DVB-S right as I type this.

They did the same thing several days ago. I found it as S2 then the next day was back to DVB-S only this time I
see the the channel ASL in the DVB-S mux. Some kind of testing or problems as you noted I bet.

Iceberg,I got that channel on Satmex5,116.8 West, TP frecuence 12174,SR 3930,polarity H.
yes, but we're referring to the BYU TV english domestic feed on G28 Ku, not the international spanish BYU TV on SM5 Ku. that SM5 Ku one is still dvb-s so I don't know if it's in the works to convert to DVB-S2 at some point like the domestic G28 Ku one appears to be.

actually the G28 isnt even the main BYU channel anymore...its called BYU Global which does pre-empt some programming

per wiki

BYU Television Global (also known as BYUtv Global) is a satellite/internet television channel operated by Brigham Young University. Content for BYUtv Global originates from BYU and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and is broadcast worldwide through satellite systems and the internet. The main purpose of BYUtv Global is to address copyright issues of programming available on BYUtv[4]. BYUtv Global basically has the same program line-up as BYU Television. When a program without worldwide broadcast privileges is encountered, BYUtv Global airs a different show.

Oh,yes,I saw that!! It is the BYU spanish broadcasting...Anyway I will order a DVB-S2 receiver.I guess GEOSATPRO HD is a good one...thank you.

actually the G28 isnt even the main BYU channel anymore...its called BYU Global which does pre-empt some programming

that's odd. The G28 Ku BYU service matches the U.S./Canada service right down to the number of alternate language channels and languages on those. The BYU International ones (mexico/latin america/europe spanish, african, etc) each have more or fewer alternate language channels than the domestic one and different langauges as well.

I'll have to observe the top of the hour ID on the G28 Ku one and see if it says "BYU Television" or says "BYU International" for even more confirmation other than knowing the G28 Ku one matches exactly the US/Canada C-band service.

Is anyone else finding BYU HD really weak on G17C 91W? Getting about 40%Q on the 10' dish with some minor breaking up. No signal on the 8 footers...

Must be weak , I don't see it on the channel list for 91W C-band, and I just scanned that bird last Saturday so I thought I had it up to date. What freq is it?
edit: I found it on lyngsat-it won't scan in unless I add the channel manually. Coming in great here, Dolby sound and 89signal/87quality on my 10' dish. Just one of those channels the Vantage couldn't see on blind-scan.

Last edited:
Tried the MicroHD and only get about 20%Q and badly broken up on my 10' dish. Comes in fine using the AzBox but signal quality is still in the 50% range. Clear sky beautiful evening here. Wonder if this is an interference issue... Just checked Reelz is 99%Q. I take care of a couple of sites that have 8' dishes and were getting no signal at all late this afternoon, thought the TP had gone.

Just checked again and signal is up to 60%Q (but quite unstable) on the micro and 70% on the AzBox (same dish, C2 LNBF, close to same length of cabling (micro has least cable). Wonder if this is an interference issue to affect one channel (TP) like that... Don't see anything obvious from adjacent satellites. Maybe some issues at the uplink site...? WIll check the 8footers in the am.

I was surprised the Micro was getting such a poor signal from this TP compared to the Azbox...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)