C and Ku Band internet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mark458

Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
Trinity, TX
A friend of mine has been bragging for years that he gets free satellite internet via a 10' dish in his back yard. He has shown off the connection speed and all even braggs about how he doesnt have a bandwidth cap because hes getting it free...

I recent moved into a house with an old 10' dish that has a c and ku cone on it and was wondering how do I get this free satellite internet. My friend wont reviel how he does it.

I could see "internet" via one-way system (like the old C-band dot net using phone line for outgoing information requests) on a Ku, if its still marketed, but "free" I don't see.

Satellite is much more complicated than standard internet setups. Mine required a card in the PC for C-band dot net which was sold by skyvision....
and, while stable, it was not well accepted, thus there was not a huge demand for it and it died out. It actually was a very good system!

Small dishes can be used for long term point to point, (illegally if certain conditions are not met) however I suppose one could "try" it with the proper equipment on a larger dish. .....could that be the (friend's) situation?

Best rule of thumb, "you get what you pay for" where discussions of "borrowing" internet come up. And, it invites trouble.

Yeah, sounds like he's tapping into an open WI-FI access point, and using the large dish to get more signal/range.

I talked to him alittle more today and he really is hacking into a sat internet connection he is WAY out in the country and doesnt have a nieghbor for over a half mile AND thoughs nieghbors dont have internet.

Steer clear (no matter what it is.)

And, by the way, on a large dish, it would HAVE to be a one-way connection (download only) or the suspected wifi which can carry many miles. True satellite internet is a very pinpoint thing to install, and takes a trained installer. I had "Starband" when it was new, and had to go through their training to install my own. Can you imagine the problems if a whole bunch of wrongly-aimed uplinks were all installed trying to reach certain satellites? It's not "point and shoot!"

Standard (consumer) large dishes don't have the components for any kid of uplink, either. I think you're either getting a very TALL story, or a very LONG distance story of wifi which is more credible given the limited information.

Nobody gets free satellite Internet, nobody. The providers know who is using the signal and it's not possible to use it without them knowing. Much like digital cable...they know your there. The Mac address of every modem needs to be provisioned regardless of whether it's one-way or not. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure there is no longer any one way satellite internet providers out there. That technology is long since done.
Unless an account never got shut off or someones just paying it for you, its not happening.

Someone is paying for it and when the tower / "On Ramp" fills up the provider, who probably already knows what computer is bootlegging, will simply do a FORMAT C:/ and listen for the screams! Nothing new. The company I worked for in 1981 did 150 in five minutes. And that was DSL before it was called DSL.... Or was it ISDN.. I still don't know !

You can take a picture of the equipment he has where the LNB / feedhorn goes (at the focus of the dish), and post it.?
Either we'll recognize what he's got there, or he's getting his internet some other way, and just saying it's via that 10' dish.

Kinda reminds me of two uncles I had when I was a kid.
One told grand fish stories.
The other was a flat-out liar.
I think your friend is like one of my uncles. - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts