C-band Actuator Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.

i4tas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Northern USA
I am doing a little bit of a report on how something works and I though an actuator would be fun. It is very mechanical, with simple electronics.

I am looking for old manuals on these, hopefully with some eletronic specifications. There is one manul posted in the manual section, and that might help a little. If you got one laying around, it would be a great time to scan it and post it here at SATGUYS.

Or if someone wants to explain how it works that would also be nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------
My Knowledge of it (whats missing or wrong)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Basically it moves in and out via spinning / corkscrew shaft.

The reed switch sends a pulse when the magnet goes by it therefore the receiver has an idea of how much it moved.

There are plastic limits which stop it from going too far out or in.

The motors are 12volt... polarity sensitive.

Somehow it is built to withhold a lot of weight and not move when stationary.

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------
My Knowledge of it (whats missing or wrong)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Basically it moves in and out via spinning / corkscrew shaft.

The reed switch sends a pulse when the magnet goes by it therefore the receiver has an idea of how much it moved.

There are plastic limits which stop it from going too far out or in.

The motors are 12volt... polarity sensitive.

Somehow it is built to withhold a lot of weight and not move when stationary.

Thanks

I think you're on a right road, but will add this.

Motor is more like 24v but have seen upward to 30v supply under load more like 26v. Correct about polarity but is reversed to draw in or out.

"Somehow it is built to withhold a lot of weight and not move when stationary."

Ok high gear ratio motor spins many to activator corkscrew. Think of it this way ever try to push a car manual transmission? Hard to do in 1st but could be possible to do in 4th or 5th why in first one rotation of wheel would be like 1000 engine rotation, but in 4th or 5th maybe 1 to 50 engine.

Now you know how it works you can make it cheaper ;)

Some recievers supply only 24 volts, most supply 36 volts. The arms will work with each voltage the 24 volt recievers make the arm move slower though. There are also 3 type of sensors in the arms. Reed (most common), hall effect (optical), and 10 turn pot.

Some recievers supply only 24 volts, most supply 36 volts. The arms will work with each voltage the 24 volt recievers make the arm move slower though. There are also 3 type of sensors in the arms. Reed (most common), hall effect (optical), and 10 turn pot.

Thanks for clearing that up I thought 24 volt, but read somewhere it was 36 volts. Can you explain this 10 turn pot thing better, and whether 4DTV works with that?

Thanks for clearing that up I thought 24 volt, but read somewhere it was 36 volts. Can you explain this 10 turn pot thing better, and whether 4DTV works with that?

Don't know if the 10 turn pot version will work with the 4dtv. You would have to contact Motorola.

What a 10 turn pot sensor did was read different resistance of the pot and use that to save the position of the dish.

Get a copy of this it will explain everything in detail:

Amazon.com: Home Satellite TV Installation and Troubleshooting Manual: Frank Baylin,Brent Gale,Ron Long: Books

I managed somehow(memory fails) to bend a actuator unit. Tore in down and inspected the mechanical portion. It had an "acme" threaded shaft with acme "nut" acting to move in and out. the cover is just a tube for the protection and alignment of the nut attached to the innser sleeve that runs in and out. I straightened all out, relubed and reinstalled-worked fine. The elctrical portion is explained above. It has been my experience that dc motors will operate on voltages both below and above "stated" amounts. Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts